ADVERTISEMENT

Women's basketball and minorities in general together take a major, major step ....

Paytc

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2014
Master P,

A person I met just as he was launching his No Limit Record Empire has teamed up with Tiny Harris. Together with the league founder James Scott they are breaking so much new ground..

First league of its kind. (Professional men and women basketball players competing together).
Black owned league.
Black women co-owned league.
Women getting a far larger audience.
Women getting better pay to play.
Black owned teams.
Minority coaches. And so much more.....

Most likely a league that will be centered around fun entertainment. And giving back not just taking. Unlike the No Fun League(s).

Most likely the players can celebrate and dance after an accomplishment.

Congratulations to Master P, Tiny, James Scott, Women's basketball, and other minorities.
Enjoy it while it last. Before the take over. First game will be played in Las Vegas at the Cox Arena in September 2017.

http://www.globalmixedgenderbasketball.com

Last edited:
Reactions: kbrizzzle
A pro league with men and woman playing together? I don't think that is going to work because the men playing are probably not going to be very good in terms of pro players and the women, why would they play in this league when they can go overseas and make big money. The NBA needs to concentrate more on the WNBA because the women deserve way more love but I can't see this league taking off.

Reactions: OnBall8
A pro league with men and woman playing together? I don't think that is going to work because the men playing are probably not going to be very good in terms of pro players and the women, why would they play in this league when they can go overseas and make big money. The NBA needs to concentrate more on the WNBA because the women deserve way more love but I can't see this league taking off.

Ive learned to not under estimate Master P. Here is a guy who built a record empire starting with virtually nothing. Parlayed it to be an estimated worth between 300-500 million dollars (not sure what the net worth reached) And I can't even name 3 hit records the label had. Not even 1 for that matter. It all comes down to marketing and IMO Master P is an under rated marketing genius.

If marketed well it could draw sponsorship and attract a decent product. There are good men and women available who unfortunately were passed over by other leagues or didn't like the appeal of traveling over seas to play. Obviously it's a long shot and has't take off yet. And it will face a few hurdles. But again i've personally seen Master P pull off what others would have thought was impossible.

If you notice closely MasterP is not trying to replace or compete with the WNBA or the NBA. His approach is to work in conjunction with those leagues to an extent. And since their already established he'll benefit from their blue print and his association with them.

Best of luck to all who stand to benefit from the league's success.

Last edited:
I agree with Azanna, just can't see this amounting to much.. the best players already play in the NBA/WNBA/overseas.. there is no way you can say women will be getting "better pay to play".. more equal maybe, but I am positive its not much regardless of gender.

Its not a knock on your buddy Master P. I personally just don't think there is going to be a huge audience that would want to watch let alone attend these games long term.

I agree with Azanna, just can't see this amounting to much.. the best players already play in the NBA/WNBA/overseas.. there is no way you can say women will be getting "better pay to play".. more equal maybe, but I am positive its not much regardless of gender.

Its not a knock on your buddy Master P. I personally just don't think there is going to be a huge audience that would want to watch let alone attend these games long term.

I can respect both of your opinions. And you could be right. Time will tell better than any of us can guess. One thing is for sure the women's game could use a good shot in the arm in terms of how it is marketed to get a few more families in attendance.

I recall reading and listening to Napoleon Hill's book "Think and grow rich" and one thing I never forgot was when Henry Ford was creating his yet to be produced engine. No one in the world thought it was even close to possible that it could be built. But Ford told his engineers one thing every time they came back and said it could not be done. He said stay on the job for as long as it takes. I want it and I'll have it. Eventually he got it. From what I know about Master P (which is not a whole lot but enough) he is extremely good at zeroing in on a marketing plan and making the quick decisions that separate those who want to do things from those who actually do them.

I know it seems like a long shot, especially to most. Most have not accomplished a tenth of what Master P has accomplished. I could imagine when the original Golden Gate Bridge was being designed and built those folks faced a few who were also doubtful. I never said there was a guarantee it would be a success. But even the thought they'd be having the first game in less than 1 month was also once a long shot that is now pretty much a done deal. So the project is already off the ground and gaining momentum. And I think it's fair to say more people would come to see women and men play than just women alone. And the WNBA is still around and that is an all women's league that could use a good marketing guru like Master P to improve the product put on the floor. And put a few more bodies in the seats.

Last edited:
And I think it's fair to say more people would come to see women and men play than just women alone

I just don't get this part at all..

I have never once thought to myself while watching HS, college, or wnba basketball "man, I really wish there were some dudes in this game".. And again, the men and women wont even be close to being the best at what they do. If I wanted to watch mediocre men play with and against mediocre women I could head down to my local Y and watch open gym.

If you want to liken my doubts to Ford Motors and the Golden Gate Bridge then be my guest, I wont tell you that you're reaching.. if this league becomes a national treasure you can tell me "I told you so"

Reactions: Paytc
I have to strongly side with OnBallEight's reasoning in this matter. Now if it were a "Once a Year " event it might catch on.

I just don't get this part at all..

I have never once thought to myself while watching HS, college, or wnba basketball "man, I really wish there were some dudes in this game".. And again, the men and women wont even be close to being the best at what they do. If I wanted to watch mediocre men play with and against mediocre women I could head down to my local Y and watch open gym.

If you want to liken my doubts to Ford Motors and the Golden Gate Bridge then be my guest, I wont tell you that you're reaching.. if this league becomes a national treasure you can tell me "I told you so"

You cats are missing two of my best points....

First off the women's game though vastly improved still sucks in terms of athletic excitement. And it is reflected by the number of folks in attendance. The next point is marketing can make all the difference. I don't think Master P is thinking about this league starting off playing anywhere close to the number of games played in the NBA or even WNBA.

And onBall8 you may not have thought to yourself you wish some dudes were playing but I'm sure you looked around and said why aren't more people in attendance. And from a marketing stand point I would guess Master P would be aiming at young children and not older adults like yourself.Get the kids the parents come automatically. So I can see Master P doing a couple of things differently than the NBA and WNBA. He's probably thinking to himself if a parent asked any 5-15 year old child of theirs if they want to see a professional women's basketball game most would say no thanks. But if they asked them if they would want to see an all star lineup dunk contest, some of their favorite hip hop ,R&B, rock stars performing at halftime and signing autographs along with a few NBA and WNBA players who would be in attendance and other ways to market to children differently the chances to get folks out to see the games and donate a good percentage back to the local community more would see the value in supporting the league than just women playing the game alone with little to no excitement. And not giving back to the local community. Maybe the WNBA has tried these things? I doubt it. If so not with Master P adding a bit of his marketing expertise and contacts.

Last edited:
marketing can make all the difference

of course marketing can make a difference, but if you aren't selling something people want then I don't care how well you can market.. pretty simple supply and demand principles.. All those things you stated to market to younger people costs MONEY (by the way, I'm probably not as old as you think and probably within a target age group of theirs.. which is not 5-15..). Sure its easy to say "bring in celebrities, rock stars, hip hop artists, that will bring everyone", but like willtalk said, maybe if it was a once a year thing.. they just signed Meta World Peace aka Ron Artest to one of the teams.. this is not targeting 5-15 year olds, despite his past and what you think about him, kids have NO idea who he is. How many people do you know that will pay money to watch a washed up NBA journeyman try to dunk on a woman who couldn't make the wnba?? No demand...

First off the women's game though vastly improved still sucks in terms of athletic excitement and it is reflected by the number of folks in attendance.

I'm not really going to get into the first part of your sentence and how wrong I think you are. Sure there aren't dunks, but there is plenty of athletic excitement. However, I will say, even if you were right, how would throwing less athletic women vs more athletic men improve the product?

There, I didn't miss your "2 best points" that time...

of course marketing can make a difference, but if you aren't selling something people want then I don't care how well you can market.. pretty simple supply and demand principles.. All those things you stated to market to younger people costs MONEY (by the way, I'm probably not as old as you think and probably within a target age group of theirs.. which is not 5-15..). Sure its easy to say "bring in celebrities, rock stars, hip hop artists, that will bring everyone", but like willtalk said, maybe if it was a once a year thing.. they just signed Meta World Peace aka Ron Artest to one of the teams.. this is not targeting 5-15 year olds, despite his past and what you think about him, kids have NO idea who he is. How many people do you know that will pay money to watch a washed up NBA journeyman try to dunk on a woman who couldn't make the wnba?? No demand...

I'm not really going to get into the first part of your sentence and how wrong I think you are. Sure there aren't dunks, but there is plenty of athletic excitement. However, I will say, even if you were right, how would throwing less athletic women vs more athletic men improve the product?

There, I didn't miss your "2 best points" that time...
Good points from all of you. Thanks for the feedback !

People said a lot of these same things about hip hop music when it first took off because they did't undertand it. It did't make rational sense to them. But once the sales with little to no air play started happening people quickly started to understand the money it began to generate. And look at it's influence now.

I think the people are gonna want what Master P and this new league will be selling more than what the WNBA alone is selling..

I guess we will have to see if anyone out there will be able to put a few more people in the audience to see women's basketball.

I think a guy who sold about 100 million records on a newly formed Independent label with no staff and virtually no radio or video airplay seems to know quite a bit about sales and marketing. A whole lot more than he is given credit for. Just name one other person who has made those type of sales on a newly formed independent label under the same circumstances? He shook up the whole industry.

I agree with Willtalk about one thing and that is Master P will have to hold quite a bit fewer games than they play in the WNBA and NBA. I also think Master P has the support of both the WNBA and the NBA something I don't think you guys are taking into consideration. And I agree with all of you that it is gonna be a long shot.

But what I like most is it is unchartered territory.I love seeing people over achieve and accomplish things that have never been done before against all the odds. If it only last 1 or 2 years I will still see it helping bring awareness and attention to the women's game which I still think needs better marketing to attract larger crowds and less poorly filled arenas.

Last edited:
I also think Master P has the support of both the WNBA and the NBA something I don't think you guys are taking into consideration
Please show me the evidence of this.

If it only last 1 or 2 years I will still see it helping bring awareness and attention to the women's game which I still think needs better marketing to attract larger crowds and less poorly filled arenas.
Again, I don't see how this will strengthen the outlook on the women's game..

you're great at stating facts about Master P and his music sales, but not great at making your points for growing the game

Please show me the evidence of this.

Again, I don't see how this will strengthen the outlook on the women's game..

you're great at stating facts about Master P and his music sales, but not great at making your points for growing the game

I did say I "think" he has both the WNBA and the NBA's support. If not I "think" he'll get it. But I didn't confirm that.

Better marketing will increase attendance. That will strengthen the outlook of the game. The game is not very popular thus lower than desired attendance. Better product brings popularity. Better attendance will grow the game. No guarantees.

Last edited:
no one is going to go see coed basketball, it will never work. Master P has got enough money to make one bad business decision.

Just sayin

no one is going to go see coed basketball, it will never work. Master P has got enough money to make one bad business decision.

Just sayin

I'm pretty sure coed basketball will be packaged in a way to entice the target audience.

A few years back people were saying no one will pay money for bottled water. Look how that took off. And how wrong they were? No one would have thought vitamin water would make people millionaires. Folks said to Fred Smith of Fed Ex why would people pay for you to ship mail/ packages when the U.S. Post office already does it. Look how Federal Express took off.1-800 GOT JUNK took off. No one will buy this Hip Hop/ rap stuff. All millionaires with success stories. The reason why entrepreneurs are often successful going against conventional wisdom is because they're wired differently than common folks. Time will prove better than speculation. And I'm not willing to give up on the idea that has perhaps the best chance to help market the women's game which IMO needs better marketing.

Last edited:
An interesting idea, but one of the biggest problems with coed basketball is that guys are better, and what tends to happen is that the guys do all the shooting, rebounding, etc., if the team wants to win.

The received wisdom is that a good WNBA team and an elite boys' high school team would be a pretty good game as long as the boys didn't have too many 6-8 guys, but WNBA players vs. D3 men's would be a rout (if the guys played hard).

Some colleges have tried coed leagues but they've had to put in rules like "one female must touch the ball before a shot can be taken" in order to make sure the women do more than run up and down and watch the guys handle the ball.

An interesting idea, but one of the biggest problems with coed basketball is that guys are better, and what tends to happen is that the guys do all the shooting, rebounding, etc., if the team wants to win.

The received wisdom is that a good WNBA team and an elite boys' high school team would be a pretty good game as long as the boys didn't have too many 6-8 guys, but WNBA players vs. D3 men's would be a rout (if the guys played hard).

Some colleges have tried coed leagues but they've had to put in rules like "one female must touch the ball before a shot can be taken" in order to make sure the women do more than run up and down and watch the guys handle the ball.

Again that is where "marketing" comes into play. I would think the overall goal would be to bring people out to improve attendance.

My guess is they would put a mandatory rule in place that would make the teams play all women one quarter. All men one quarter. And then mix it up a bit from there. If not they should give me a chance to help put a few rules and policies in place. I think the league has a good chance at least for a good 2-5 year run. And who knows what that could do for exposing a whole lot of talent that has fallen through the cracks. It would also showcase to a larger audience that the women's game has indeed come a long way. And that could bring more attention and respect to the women's game which might improve attendance at WNBA games. I see a lot of jobs, playing opportunities, marketing of products and services etc... Perhaps a few more success stories. WIN/WIN/WIN. And I will be pulling for the league's success against the odds.

I hope the league works too -- it can't hurt.

The devil is in the details, though. Watching the men play one quarter, and then dialing down the pace and the athleticism when the women play could be an issue.

What kinds of rules would you suggest?

I hope the league works too -- it can't hurt.

The devil is in the details, though. Watching the men play one quarter, and then dialing down the pace and the athleticism when the women play could be an issue.

What kinds of rules would you suggest?

There has to be a mercy rule in place where no man can just crush a women and/or make them look inferior.
I don't think having men play one quarter and women play another quarter would be bad. I think it would be exciting to see what team had the best men and/ or women on their quad. And sure women are no where near the level of talent (in a basketball game) that men are but playing against other women their is a good level of competition.

Then I think having a point in the game where men and women have a 3 point shooting and foul shot shooting competition to add points to the score would level the field a bit and give women a chance to beat their counterpart. I don't want to share too much because I am hoping to sit down with Master P sometime in the near future to discuss a number of things.

I don't see the appeal of a league like this. The WNBA is a good concept that needs to be marketed better. This idea of a coed league goes in the opposite direction

I don't see the appeal of a league like this. The WNBA is a good concept that needs to be marketed better. This idea of a coed league goes in the opposite direction

Not sure people in large numbers will ever be drawn to the WNBA. But this new league working in conjunction with the WNBA could help IMO.

In your opinion it goes in the opposite direction. In my opinion it would help bring awareness to the women's game that hasn't been captured fully yet. I do agree the marketing must improve. And I think this league (if marketed correctly ) could accomplish that. But of course the verdict is still out. People thought rap and Hip Hop was a bad idea (some still do) but it pretty much saved a dieing industry.
And it too needs better marketing today IMO.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind going to see it tried just out of curiousity, but then I am a women's basketball fan. It's like preaching to the choir. As I stated if it were held a few times it might draw people like myself for the reason I would go. But as a league I really don't think so.

The other thing is where are you going to find guys who would want to play against women? I suspect that might be a problem. I can see guys doing it in a closed gym but not in a league. Guys ego's are just too fragile to expect them to do that. it's a no win situation for them.

Also the idea of providing handycaps for the men sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. I mean we could have all the guys wearing ankle weights. Or not allow them to leave the floor ( no jumping ) I am sorry this just doesn't seem like a successful undertaking.

I wouldn't mind going to see it tried just out of curiousity, but then I am a women's basketball fan. It's like preaching to the choir. As I stated if it were held a few times it might draw people like myself for the reason I would go. But as a league I really don't think so.

The other thing is where are you going to find guys who would want to play against women? I suspect that might be a problem. I can see guys doing it in a closed gym but not in a league. Guys ego's are just too fragile to expect them to do that. it's a no win situation for them.

Also the idea of providing handycaps for the men sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it. I mean we could have all the guys wearing ankle weights. Or not allow them to leave the floor ( no jumping ) I am sorry this just doesn't seem like a successful undertaking.

Guys will do a lot of things for money just as women will. Just ask Metta World Peace and Lisa Leslie. They both have signed on to help the GMGB league.

I would agree with you 100 % if I thought this new league was going to try to play a lot of games. Or have the games played men against women. I think they will have men and women on the same team. But for the most part I think the men will play against other men and the women against women. Then there will be times where there will be 3 men and two women playing against 3 men and two women. And it will for the most part be mandatory for the men to guard other men and women guard other women. And as I have said they must put a mercy rule in where a man can't deliberately go out of their way to embarrass a women. There will always be other men on the court that men use most often to check their manhood and talents against. If a man blocks a women's shot more than once for instance it would draw a foul.

There just has to be rules changed a bit to make things work a bit better. Example is todays NFL rules when compared to the NFL rules of the 60s and 70's where a quarterback could be picked up slammed to the ground and then dog piled on. Or you could pick a quarterback up hold him and let your team mate get a running start and drill him head first. Or you could knock the shit out of a player helmet to helmet coming across the middle of the field or push off and jockey for position and the ball pass five yards. The NFL changed all sorts of rules to protect the quarterback and increase scoring. Just because they thought most fans like to see points scored and they needed to protect quarterbacks who were league and team leaders. So if the NFL can dial down the play when and where needed this new league could do the same. I could see a need for a foul shooting and/ or 3 point shooting contest men against the women. That will give the women a chance to upstage the guys as women wouldn't have the pressure and challenge of shooting over and against men playing defense.

Obviously men are typically bigger, stronger, and faster. But there are a few women better than a few men out there. I'm sure the plan would be to put those few women who are better than some men up against some men to prove some women can ball with some men and even beat some men. I think it is fair to say a few women in the WNBA can beat a few men who were never good enough to make their high school team yet they are pretty decent pickup players. They will look for those kinds of scenarios to make for better challenge and more excitement. I think the ultimate goal is fun family entertainment, building communities, and building a bigger audience and respect level for women's basketball. I think there is a need to help women's basketball and build the WNBA a larger audience. This could only help that cause. I couldn't see it hurting the women's game or attendance. Marketing will be the key.

Like the Harlem Globetrotters I think this league will be marketed as family entertainment.

Last edited:
Guys will do a lot of things for money just as women will. Just ask Metta World Peace and Lisa Leslie. They both have signed on to help the GMGB league.

I would agree with you 100 % if I thought this new league was going to try to play a lot of games. Or have the games played men against women. I think they will have men and women on the same team. But for the most part I think the men will play against other men and the women against women. Then there will be times where there will be 3 men and two women playing against 3 men and two women. And it will for the most part be mandatory for the men to guard other men and women guard other women. And as I have said they must put a mercy rule in where a man can't deliberately go out of their way to embarrass a women. There will always be other men on the court that men use most often to check their manhood and talents against. If a man blocks a women's shot more than once for instance it would draw a foul.

There just has to be rules changed a bit to make things work a bit better. Example is todays NFL rules when compared to the NFL rules of the 60s and 70's where a quarterback could be picked up slammed to the ground and then dog piled on. Or you could pick a quarterback up hold him and let your team mate get a running start and drill him head first. Or you could knock the shit out of a player helmet to helmet coming across the middle of the field or push off and jockey for position and the ball pass five yards. The NFL changed all sorts of rules to protect the quarterback and increase scoring. Just because they thought most fans like to see points scored and they needed to protect quarterbacks who were league and team leaders. So if the NFL can dial down the play when and where needed this new league could do the same. I could see a need for a foul shooting and/ or 3 point shooting contest men against the women. That will give the women a chance to upstage the guys as women wouldn't have the pressure and challenge of shooting over and against men playing defense.

Obviously men are typically bigger, stronger, and faster. But there are a few women better than a few men out there. I'm sure the plan would be to put those few women who are better than some men up against some men to prove some women can ball with some men and even beat some men. I think it is fair to say a few women in the WNBA can beat a few men who were never good enough to make their high school team yet they are pretty decent pickup players. They will look for those kinds of scenarios to make for better challenge and more excitement. I think the ultimate goal is fun family entertainment, building communities, and building a bigger audience and respect level for women's basketball. I think there is a need to help women's basketball and build the WNBA a larger audience. This could only help that cause. I couldn't see it hurting the women's game or attendance. Marketing will be the key.

Like the Harlem Globetrotters I think this league will be marketed as family entertainment.

Just thought I would remind folks out there to keep the debut of the league date in mind and on your calendar. Just in case you want to support the growth of women's basketball and have a good time vacationing for a few days in Las Vegas. The date is September 23, 2017 in Las Vegas at the Cox Pavillon.

Just thought I would remind folks out there to keep the debut of the league date in mind and on your calendar. Just in case you want to support the growth of women's basketball and have a good time vacationing for a few days in Las Vegas. The date is September 23, 2017 in Las Vegas at the Cox Pavillon.

Any idea what the rules will be? The website isn't that informative -- I couldn't even find rosters.

Any idea what the rules will be? The website isn't that informative -- I couldn't even find rosters.

No. I have not talked with Master P or anyone who would have more information on the rules. I will say I believe they will be testing things out and tweaking things as they move along. It's still the ground floor. So my guess is this will be pretty much a test pilot. I'm sure they already have rosters for the few teams they have already onboard. I'm just not sure where and when they are making those rosters available. They also probably need a good web master to handle online updates to their website. Something I'm pretty sure they will most likely address soon.

wait.. after all that you didnt even watch???

No I live my life based on priority. Being a family man takes priority over watching sports and that goes for the NBA, WNBA, NFL, Global mixed League etc..... That doesn't mean when the the opportunity presents itself I won't watch sports. Or mean I won't try to support a league that I think is providing value. Perhaps some day I'll be on board with the new league if our paths cross and it becomes more of a priority to me.

Last edited:
I'm just curious why the full game wasn't available, and why the rules weren't ever explained. And maybe the score?

If it's entertainment instead of basketball, that's fine, but if it's basketball, a box score and final score would be very nice to see.

I'm just curious why the full game wasn't available, and why the rules weren't ever explained. And maybe the score?

If it's entertainment instead of basketball, that's fine, but if it's basketball, a box score and final score would be very nice to see.

I agree. But I do think the focus is on family entertainment first and for most. Then as time passes and positions get filled and the league gets better established the game itself may be more of the focus. I'm not sure they have the product on the floor that they feel comfortable marketing at this point. But I am just guessing since that was the first official game. A lot of things will be trial and error testing things as they go in the beginning to get the best feel on what those in attendance like most. As far as television exposure that would have been risky with so much being unknown. They will need to work out the bugs before a sponsor or network would consider carrying the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT