ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Commitment List

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Gabrielle Abigor Berean Christian (CAL)
Mecca Alexander Cornerstone Christian (SAN JOSE STATE)
Belle Bramer Mitty (LEHIGH)
Emily Bowman Pleasant Grove (UC MERCED)
Sierra Chambers San Ramon Valley (SOUTHERN UTAH)
Morgan Cheli Mitty (UCONN)
Ashanti Dias Riordan (CAL STATE LA)
Carmela Fontes Priory (CAL POLY)
Inez Gallegos Sacred Heart Cathedral (BOSTON)
Quinn Godfrey Branham (UC MERCED)
Maya Hodge Lincoln (CORNELL COLLEGE)
Gabriella Kelley Univeristy (PENN)
Avery Knapp San Ramon Valley (CAL POLY)
Jordan Lee St. Mary's (TEXAS)
Kamryn Mafua Folsom (CAL)
Natalia Martinez Piedmont (SAN DIEGO STATE)
Leah Nelson Grant (UC MERCED)
Haper Peterson Whitney (STANFORD)
Reza Po Sacred Heart Cathedral (NEW MEXICO)
Kaela Stancil Williams McClatchy (UC MERCED)
Ella Uriarte Folsom (IDAHO)
Amya Vangkham-Griffin Lincoln Stockton (STANISLAUS STATE)
Keisha Vitalicio Carondelet (LEHIGH)
Elana Weisman Mitty (BUCKNELL)

Feel free to let me know anyone I have missed

Having been away from this website for a couple years now it was interesting to pop back in.....the first thing that came to mind as I looked at this list is god I wish someone could get through to these kids/parents and talk them off the "d1 train" that all solid players/parents hop on as soon as it seems possibly within reach.....I dont remember who it was on this site....I want to say thhillz but it may have been becool who said " and away our bay area kids go d1 only to come back to d2 schools"....I look at my daughters 2021 class( soooooo many went d1) and how many are left? seems half have quit the sport another 1/4 have transferred to d2.......I am very grateful that Doc never cared about "d1" it was always just finding the right fit for the girls.....ensure they like the school/siutation....have a collegiate life......Parents if I may add enjoy the high school run your kid is on.....it very well could end up being the happiest best time of their basketball lives....everyone is going to forget about you within days of your kid doing their instagram post about committment.....the NESCAC is an awesome d3 conference....football games that the entire school goes to......great competition..500 fans at the games and thousands for the playoffs....and the girls have months off at a time from basketball.....if its the scholly you need.....strongly consider d2 and find the school that seems one where your daughter will be happy......all these low d1 schools the grind/playing in front of parents and grandparents.......the data shows in the numbers happiness does not follow.......thats the anomaly......little shout out to sean at JBS who always has the right perspective for his girls as well.....hope all your girls have great seasons this year......all the best....

True in every aspect.

And even for non-athletes, the pursuit of the "name college" is self-defeating. Go where you will be happy. A college education, playing college basketball, is a valuable experience no matter where you are. All the focus on the prestige of the supposedly "right" schools is just a mirage. An undergrad degree is pretty much the same across the board (a very few schools accepted), as is playing basketball. (And if you have dreams of playing professionally, it also doesn't matter where you go -- if you're good enough, they will find you.)

that is a bay area problem period. boys and girls leave and come back where it is easier/comfortable. dont be afraid to leave mommy nest... it is pretty easy to get a D1 scholarship if you are a woman playing basketball... would they settle on anything else? husband/job/living situation? playing D1 and challenging yourself is something they need to be taught.

from the list... the girls going to texas and uconn have zero business going D3 or D2
lehigh, penn, bucknell, and cornell? you cant match up the degree from csueb to those schools.

that is a bay area problem period. boys and girls leave and come back where it is easier/comfortable. dont be afraid to leave mommy nest... it is pretty easy to get a D1 scholarship if you are a woman playing basketball... would they settle on anything else? husband/job/living situation? playing D1 and challenging yourself is something they need to be taught.

from the list... the girls going to texas and uconn have zero business going D3 or D2
lehigh, penn, bucknell, and cornell? you cant match up the degree from csueb to those schools.
Pretty easy to get a D1 scholarship for a girl playing basketball? With the transfer portal and the COVID year?? Not to insult you but if you talk to college recruiters they will even tell you how they recruit now. I know a few D1 girls basketball coaches and they are going transfer portal first then Juco unless you are TOP ranked recruit. Then maybe Prep School then high school. No offense to you but you are completely wrong.

Pretty easy to get a D1 scholarship for a girl playing basketball? With the transfer portal and the COVID year?? Not to insult you but if you talk to college recruiters they will even tell you how they recruit now. I know a few D1 girls basketball coaches and they are going transfer portal first then Juco unless you are TOP ranked recruit. Then maybe Prep School then high school. No offense to you but you are completely wrong.
girls average 10 points per game and get a scholarship. like clay said many times, there are way more roster spots available than people to fill those spots. sure, you pick up transfers and juco kids. that is from the few coaches you know, but what about the 250 other coaches? there are not enough transfers for all, and they have to sign someone.

nothing someone on the internet offends me so u good.

Reactions: GBBall4L
From my experience, it's nation-wide. Blowbacks are everywhere ...

And you still have 15 scholarships to fill. If you get a player from the portal, then that team now has a scholarship available. And I don't see any rapid increase in JC players. They've always been available before, and it's no different now.

There are 300+ colleges. They all have 15 full rides. If they each give out three scholarships to freshmen, that's 900 D-1 players every year (and I would guess it's closer to 1,000). With volleyball and soccer taking more and more elite athletes from basketball, the chances of getting a scholarship are higher than they ever were, really.

Reactions: ankleassassin
From my experience, it's nation-wide. Blowbacks are everywhere ...

And you still have 15 scholarships to fill. If you get a player from the portal, then that team now has a scholarship available. And I don't see any rapid increase in JC players. They've always been available before, and it's no different now.

There are 300+ colleges. They all have 15 full rides. If they each give out three scholarships to freshmen, that's 900 D-1 players every year (and I would guess it's closer to 1,000). With volleyball and soccer taking more and more elite athletes from basketball, the chances of getting a scholarship are higher than they ever were, really.
When you look at the portal colleges are replacing portal losses with portal gains and Juco. Yes high school is still getting recruited but it's getting harder and harder for the players that may not play much frosh year or even red shirt. Seems like colleges don't even plan on those scenarios any longer where they previously they did. It's win now and I can't be mad at that. D2 and Jucos are becoming the development centers for D1. Mid Major D1s are becoming the development centers for p5. Talking to parents with girls in college or trying to get to college the sentiment is different on the front lines. That's just what I'm hearing from coaches and parents. High level recruits don't have any issues fo course. That's feedback I'm getting from the field but every scenario is different

You well could be right, but it seems to me the math is still the same. If a player transfers to School A, then School B now has a scholarship available.

That said, I would certainly rather have a player who has proven herself (or not) at the college level than a girl just out of high school. My recruiting focus would shift, definitely, but I still have to have 12 kids on the roster.

You well could be right, but it seems to me the math is still the same. If a player transfers to School A, then School B now has a scholarship available.

That said, I would certainly rather have a player who has proven herself (or not) at the college level than a girl just out of high school. My recruiting focus would shift, definitely, but I still have to have 12 kids on the roster.
Clay,

I just read that a BCS head football coach say that it takes about 1.5 million to get a good quarterback in college. Do you see or hear any of that coming from the women's basketball game? How much does NIL contribute to where kids are going?

A lot. NIL money is definitely real, and can reach six figures.

You have to pay to play -- and a family would be foolish to turn down even $10,000. You'll never get that money back.

all i was saying was a girl can average 10 points and get a full ride..
you aint going D1 as a boy if you average 10 points... unless you are 7 feet

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT