ADVERTISEMENT

2025 Kellen Hampton transfers to Southern California Academy

Moreau Catholic's Kellen Hampton is transferring to Southern California Academy. This is definitely the norm now

The Norm is multiple poor decisions with nothing concrete that shows any tangible benefits gained. That is the new world with these yo yo prep, Hs, academy transfers.

Hampton got two offers at Moreau Catholic, San Jose St and Wazzu….not exactly world beaters.

I promise you with the exposure he gets from playing Grind Session next year, he will easily have 10+ more offers by this time next year. Places that would have never seen him, will be able to see him in all the different places grind session plays.

Moreau Catholic is an awesome basketball program in Northern California. They actually played some games out of the area, unlike most teams. Obviously wasn’t enough though since he only has two schollies.

How about instead CIF changes their rules, so they can play whoever they want and in postseason tournaments outside of CA.

Then maybe we’d stop losing all these players to greener pastures……

he aint getting better playing versus 5'11 post player at mission san jose or defending 6'1 posts at irvington.

This exactly. Wow are me and ankle starting to agree?

I just didn’t want to be that harsh. Moreau is an awesome program, it’s just Socal is going to offer him a chance to play all over the Country, as opposed to within a 60 mile radius except for a weekend or two.

According to VerbalCommits, Hampton also got an offer early this month from perennial Big East contender Creighton, not exactly chopped liver.

I think that, even if he stayed home at Moreau, he'd get a lot more offers; after all, he just finished his soph season and has at least three known offers now (if the two mentioned above are correct).

But I can see the argument the other way, too... He'll get a lot more competition and maybe more exposure at SoCal Academy. Then again, he could get lost among all the talent and get fewer offers than if he stayed at Moreau.

Tough choice, hope he made the right one.

Not going to get into right or wrong but the young man was only a sophomore and watching him play his talent and upside
Can clearly be seen by even a regular fan of the game so I'm sure paid trained college coaches would have made there way to moreau to recruit the young man when
You are good they will find you and coach
Knight would have definitely have aided in a big way in that process and again not saying
At all that he made a bad decision I'm just
Saying had he stayed at moreau would not have been a bad decision either it's not how many offers a player can stack at the end of the day it's about finding the right college choice and fit.

Right but Socal plays in New York, Kentucky, Arizona, North Carolina, Las Vegas, Boston….I can continue to list places where Grind Session has games.

Would he have gotten more schollies at Moreau? Yes. But the wide net he and his family are now casting will give him that much more of an opportunity to go to a school of his choosing.

Now the education aspect hasn’t really been discussed. Moreau as a school is 100000x better than Socal Academy. It’s why AJ Johnson is playing in Australia and not at Texas next year.

I wish I could figure out this answer but what does the increased exposure/development actually bring and is the player always better off entering college than if they would have stayed?

I understand the advantage prep programs have in terms of compeition and thus exposure, but it isn't a foregone conclusion the player is better set up to be a successful college player and potential pro just by going this route.

I wish I could figure out this answer but what does the increased exposure/development actually bring and is the player always better off entering college than if they would have stayed?

I understand the advantage prep programs have in terms of compeition and thus exposure, but it isn't a foregone conclusion the player is better set up to be a successful college player and potential pro just by going this route.
there is no exact answer. way too many factors. but what he will get unquestioned is outstanding full time coaching, practice and play versus people his size and skill. so when he gets to the next level he has defended versus people his size. shooting over 6'10 is more difficult that shooting over 6'1 as you know.

Can someone who is so in support please put a list of legit NBA athletes who are mega millionaires from Northern California who left high school to a Basketball Academy. Cause here is what is what I will gladly start with, those that didn’t leave.

Aaron Gordon to date, 112 million.

Damian Lillard to date, 233 million.

Jeremy Lin made an easy 65 million.

Drew Gooden made a cool 75 million.

Juan Anderson 4.3 million to date.

And we could get really old school:

Gary Payton
Jason Kidd
JR RIDER
Dude from Jesuit who had a fine NBA Career who I can’t recall his name at the moment
Antonio Davis
Leon Powe
Demarcus Nelson
Hell not even old school, kid who played on the WCAL and his brother is at St Mary’s.

I can go on and on. So for you prep school they get seen all over the nation, please provide a list to match the hundreds of millions of combined dollars made from those from THE BAY AREA OR EVEN NOR CAL who has had a huge NBA CAREER.

And I ain’t talking Jalen Green, I ain’t talking anyone that has gone to Prolific Prep that ain’t from NOR CAL.

List is open, Ayalar being you are now a prolific prep staff member, I expect a strong list.

Please provide a strong list of NBA ATHLETES from the Bay Area and nor cal that said screw my high school and hit the lottery financially lacing it up in the NBA

Oh and isn’t this what AAU is about, exposure. So don’t sell me the he gets more exposure BS. Plenty of that is covered on the AAU circuit.

Get a damn education cause in the end 450 guys world wide make a NBA dream living. Selling these kids a bag of hopes, that is what it really comes down to.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatCarrillo
By the way the last big time guy that left MC, who was by far the best freshman I ever seen play period live, he went to a prep school. Who does he play for now? G League. So don’t buy this prep school more people see me BS. Cause that kid was an absolute stud as a freshman. Looks like prep school did him well. Kid could have easily went to any college out of MC.

Never took a prep school to get NOR CALS FINEST TO THE ELITE LEVEL, THE NBA. And being I live in the east bay I would argue with people AG versus an east bay stud. They laughed at me when I said AG hands down. Well, one stayed at Mitty, and the other went to prep school. One has more cars than one can imagine, the other ain’t broke the G league. Both went to great colleges, so what was the benefit of prep school and traveling the country.

Multiple things at play here:

The kid would have continued to receive offers if he stayed at MC. Coach Knight runs a good program, and I don't doubt he would continue to develop well. But that shouldn't matter. With moves like this, kids get to experience life in a way outside the traditional high school bubble. They go around and get to see other areas of the country and how people live at a young age. It's a unique experience, and an opportunity that's hard to pass up.

Also, kids don't see high school as the ultimate life experience anymore. They can go out and live their lives and still stay connected to those they care about back home. If this had happened to one of my teammates, the reaction is simple: " go get it man, let's link up when you're back home."

Lastly, I find it funny when private school people complain about kids going the prep route. Private schools are the original steal your best player institutions. Nobody bats an eye when a private school siphons off a public schools best player. Now there's a dog above them(not in terms of talent, but influence) and some of yall don't like it.

Multiple things at play here:

The kid would have continued to receive offers if he stayed at MC. Coach Knight runs a good program, and I don't doubt he would continue to develop well. But that shouldn't matter. With moves like this, kids get to experience life in a way outside the traditional high school bubble. They go around and get to see other areas of the country and how people live at a young age. It's a unique experience, and an opportunity that's hard to pass up.

Also, kids don't see high school as the ultimate life experience anymore. They can go out and live their lives and still stay connected to those they care about back home. If this had happened to one of my teammates, the reaction is simple: " go get it man, let's link up when you're back home."

Lastly, I find it funny when private school people complain about kids going the prep route. Private schools are the original steal your best player institutions. Nobody bats an eye when a private school siphons off a public schools best player. Now there's a dog above them(not in terms of talent, but influence) and some of yall don't like it.
Your response is fantastic. But do these academy’s offer the experience or simply basketball. Let’s keep it real. I don’t think the sale pitch is hey, you get to fly all over in an airplane. Isn’t that already done AAU season. So again present a list. Cause honestly the best players from the Bay Area period never left high school. Maybe when it all shifts, then maybe I can get it. And to think one will not be seen at their respective high school is stupid. Aaron Gordon was a stud. College coaches from all over at his games when they could accommodate the time. He didn’t need prep school to get robbed in a dunk contest and he does damn well. And anyone who watched him play in the pro am at 16 knew the kid was great period. Prep school would have done nothing for him.

Bottom line wether it be high school or AAU or prep school, at the end of the day you are either a pro or not period. Jalen Green was a pro before he ever went to Prolific Prep. James Harden was a pro period in high school. Klay Thompson was a pro period. Chuck Hayes was a pro period. Jason Kidd was a pro period. I can go on and on. Baron Davis, Trevor Ariza, being I am two months from 50 I just don’t remember names to much. But I have seen way more guys from nor cal high schools hit the lottery and have a hard time even recalling a nor cal name who went prep school and made the same. So again waiting for a list.

Can someone who is so in support please put a list of legit NBA athletes who are mega millionaires from Northern California who left high school to a Basketball Academy. Cause here is what is what I will gladly start with, those that didn’t leave.

Aaron Gordon to date, 112 million.

Damian Lillard to date, 233 million.

Jeremy Lin made an easy 65 million.

Drew Gooden made a cool 75 million.

Juan Anderson 4.3 million to date.

And we could get really old school:

Gary Payton
Jason Kidd
JR RIDER
Dude from Jesuit who had a fine NBA Career who I can’t recall his name at the moment
Antonio Davis
Leon Powe
Demarcus Nelson
Hell not even old school, kid who played on the WCAL and his brother is at St Mary’s.

I can go on and on. So for you prep school they get seen all over the nation, please provide a list to match the hundreds of millions of combined dollars made from those from THE BAY AREA OR EVEN NOR CAL who has had a huge NBA CAREER.

And I ain’t talking Jalen Green, I ain’t talking anyone that has gone to Prolific Prep that ain’t from NOR CAL.

List is open, Ayalar being you are now a prolific prep staff member, I expect a strong list.

Please provide a strong list of NBA ATHLETES from the Bay Area and nor cal that said screw my high school and hit the lottery financially lacing it up in the NBA

Oh and isn’t this what AAU is about, exposure. So don’t sell me the he gets more exposure BS. Plenty of that is covered on the AAU circuit.

Get a damn education cause in the end 450 guys world wide make a NBA dream living. Selling these kids a bag of hopes, that is what it really comes down to.
These are all great examples.
You think jkidd was worried about going against a 6”10 guy when they barely had a gym to play in at st Joe’s back in the day. Did it matter he was posting up 6”3
Adrian Ealy in practice? Hell no. When you are that good you make adjustments and your competitive nature kicks in. Parents do wants what best for there kids but they can get caught in the noise and drink the juice. It becomes infectious. I’ve seen this story so many times and the ending is so easy to predict.

Reactions: relittleton
These are all great examples.
You think jkidd was worried about going against a 6”10 guy when they barely had a gym to play in at st Joe’s back in the day. Did it matter he was posting up 6”3
Adrian Ealy in practice? Hell no. When you are that good you make adjustments and your competitive nature kicks in. Parents do wants what best for their kids but they can get caught in the noise and drink the juice. It becomes infectious. I’ve seen this story so many times and the ending is so easy to predict.
Larry we both go way back in the high school hoop scene. I will say this, show me a list of prep school transfers from Nor Cal who ended up so much better off. Cause I will tell you one thing AG will never forget. His Jersey is in the rafters at Mitty. Do they even do that at the prep schools. I mean don’t get it twisted Oak Hill had unreal players. Steve was the man. However if I recall prep was also about grades. Now they are basketball academy’s. I just don’t see the huge upside if your kid is that good.

This is 2023. You are using a phone in your hand driving an electric vehicle. The world changes.
Do a list of all the nor cal guys who leave and come back and transfer down because they weren't ready.
It's a means.

there is no exact answer. way too many factors. but what he will get unquestioned is outstanding full time coaching, practice and play versus people his size and skill. so when he gets to the next level he has defended versus people his size. shooting over 6'10 is more difficult that shooting over 6'1 as you know.
That was my point is there is no way to prove one route is better than the other. I would agree that players play more against their peers in term of playing level at a prep school more. Though that is most true for bigs and gets less true the smaller you go. I'd also push back against the outstanding full time coaching. Just like at any level, there is some outstanding coaching and some less than outstanding coaching to be kind.

If my memory serves me correctly Moreau Catholic had another top nationally ranked player leave after they made their 3rd state championship appearance. Coach Knight does a hell of a job attracting those type of players and does a great job with that program overall. The top players who stay and play for MC all 4 years tend to leave with scholarships so it's realy 6 and one half a dozen.

This seems to be the new normal, wishing Hampton the best of luck wherever he ends up playing in High School.

That was my point is there is no way to prove one route is better than the other. I would agree that players play more against their peers in term of playing level at a prep school more. Though that is most true for bigs and gets less true the smaller you go. I'd also push back against the outstanding full time coaching. Just like at any level, there is some outstanding coaching and some less than outstanding coaching to be kind.
Big part of the problem is people aren’t looking at the entire investment. Moreau or any other fine school leaves you with an education, outstanding athletics, a sense of community /service, etc. You aren’t getting this at some pop up academy. And the point is the path has been proven that if you are good enough it makes no difference. Look at Andrej from Jesuit. Family and school are important to them. He did just fine playing for the marauders. I’m not changing my stance and either are others so it is what it is.

Big part of the problem is people aren’t looking at the entire investment. Moreau or any other fine school leaves you with an education, outstanding athletics, a sense of community /service, etc. You aren’t getting this at some pop up academy. And the point is the path has been proven that if you are good enough it makes no difference. Look at Andrej from Jesuit. Family and school are important to them. He did just fine playing for the marauders. I’m not changing my stance and either are others so it is what it is.
the education at moreau isnt anything special. the athletes are not there for their academic prowess. i know 5 who graduated within the last 3 years who all went to community college or prep school.
they have zero sense of community because they didnt even live in the community.
you speaking about academies and you have never set foot in one.
andrej isnt the model to choose from. he is the child of a multi millionaire. we live different lives then him, thus choose different paths.

the education at moreau isnt anything special. the athletes are not there for their academic prowess. i know 5 who graduated within the last 3 years who all went to community college or prep school.
they have zero sense of community because they didnt even live in the community.
you speaking about academies and you have never set foot in one.
andrej isnt the model to choose from. he is the child of a multi millionaire. we live different lives then him, thus choose different paths.
This is where you are wrong. It's a top academic institution. As far as players going to community college or prep school, that would be their choice as a large majority receive offers from D1/D2/D3 etc but we all know about the D1 hype and choose alternate paths.

As far as zero sense of community, you are also incorrect. Former players who have graduated from Moreau or have transferred to other programs ALWAYS come back to support the program, the school and community.

Every parent has a choice to make for their child and good luck to Hampton on his decision. Moreau, Coach Knight and his staff support their players even after they have transferred, graduated etc., there is never any bitterness, bad mouthing, always best wishes. I speak from experience in dealing with Moreau for a number of years.

Reactions: larry legend33
This is where you are wrong. It's a top academic institution. As far as players going to community college or prep school, that would be their choice as a large majority receive offers from D1/D2/D3 etc but we all know about the D1 hype and choose alternate paths.

As far as zero sense of community, you are also incorrect. Former players who have graduated from Moreau or have transferred to other programs ALWAYS come back to support the program, the school and community.

Every parent has a choice to make for their child and good luck to Hampton on his decision. Moreau, Coach Knight and his staff support their players even after they have transferred, graduated etc., there is never any bitterness, bad mouthing, always best wishes. I speak from experience in dealing with Moreau for a number of years.
i said the athletes didnt use that top notch education and they were not there for education because they ended up at community college. so they wasted 20k on private school just to enroll at a comm college where they could have got into from a public school.
i wasnt trying to achieve a right or wrong. THOSE 5 KIDS DID NOT GO D1 and i am right about that. sure plenty others did, but i gave a specific example of those 5. That aint the fault of the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT