ADVERTISEMENT

3pt Percentage - what’s good?

bunnyhopninja

Rookie
Gold Member
Mar 2, 2023
What is consider led a good 3-pt percentage for high school? Different sources online say NBA good is over 35% and elite is over 40%, and slightly lower for college. But not much out there for high school. What are college coaches considering to be good/elite in terms of shooting guard prospects. Any thoughts or real world insight?

there is no real stat takers at most schools so percentages are hard to even find.
bel coop what say you?

Curious on any coaches to weigh in that track this more but for a frame of reference from posted stats

Mitty 2021-2022 shot 33 percent (NorCal Open winners)
Pinewood 2018-2019 shot 32 percent (NorCal Open winners)

For individuals, Hannah Jump shot 39 percent that season. Looking at some of the top shooters on MaxPreps from this past season, it looks like high 30s puts you in the upper echelon.

At the high school level -- not talking about super teams here -- 28 to 30% is good. The math:

*A 40% shooter from inside the arc produces 80 points on 100 shots. And if you have more than one 40% shooter on a "normal" high school team you have a good shooting team.

*A 27% shooter from outside the arc produces 81 points on 100 shots.

There are a lot of other factors. For example, the inside-the-arc shooter will get to the line more, but will also turn the ball over more and have more shots blocked.

Here's what I tell my players: If you make one out of four three-pointer attempts, you are as effective as a player who makes 37.5% of her shots from inside the arc -- and 37.5% is good shooting, again for normal teams. (A lot of shooting percentages for good teams are elevated by steals and athletic plays that result in high-percentage layups.)

Thanks this is very helpful. I wonder if college coaches view it this way. I suspect (though have no data) that if you’re under 30, colleges will not be impressed for recruiting.

You are correct. Ideally, a recruited three-point shooter is above 40% in high school, preferably well above (the college line is further away).

That said, a lot of elite players don't focus much on three-pointers at the lower levels, because they can just blow by inferior athletes and score inside. But being elite, their chances of being able to improve their percentage -- if their mechanics are good -- are reasonable.

(Another note: If a successful high school shooter makes three of four threes, the hardest thing to do is to miss three in a row and then shoot the fourth with confidence. Which is one reason I tell my players "If you're open, you have to shoot," no matter how many you've missed or made.)

At the high school level -- not talking about super teams here -- 28 to 30% is good. The math:

*A 40% shooter from inside the arc produces 80 points on 100 shots. And if you have more than one 40% shooter on a "normal" high school team you have a good shooting team.

*A 27% shooter from outside the arc produces 81 points on 100 shots.

There are a lot of other factors. For example, the inside-the-arc shooter will get to the line more, but will also turn the ball over more and have more shots blocked.

Here's what I tell my players: If you make one out of four three-pointer attempts, you are as effective as a player who makes 37.5% of her shots from inside the arc -- and 37.5% is good shooting, again for normal teams. (A lot of shooting percentages for good teams are elevated by steals and athletic plays that result in high-percentage layups.)
Thanks Clay. This was really good

A lot of teams use Hudl I imagine. The reporting service option is pretty solid. Shot charts and % along with everything else including minutes. I suspect most teams that use it don’t post their stats, but they are collected. The shot chart feature is pretty cool to note best shooting zones. Fun stuff and helpful to the kids/coaches if they use it.

I was told that a good 3-pt shooting team is between 33-35% of 3's. There was a coach one time that had the formula broken down. If they were to shoot 50 3's a game and make 33%, they'd win 80% of their games. As Clay said, 40% in HS is amazing.

One year I had the highest scoring team in North Coast Section, and we shot tons of threes (I think our high was 46 in one game). We weren't close to 30% as a team from three.

Not surprising that as a team you are under 30. I would guess individually shooting over 35% is considered really good for high school and closer to 40 is elite.

The great teams understand the analytics of shot selection! The key is to master the shots you will take in games! And develop EVERYONE on your team to be able to hit a wide open easy catch and shoot 3 at at decent percentage! (30)
The great teams avoid low percentage contested 12-19’9” twos which produce a low points per shot efficiency! A key element to the propensity of 3 pointers being taken is the offensive rebounding mentality to track react and attack long rebounds to improve efg%age- Example if a team shoots 35 threes and makes 10. That’s 28.6% But gets 10 offensive rebounds on those 25 missed threes.. it computes out to 10 made threes in 25 possessions that’s 30 points in 25 shots a 1.2 ppp!

make sure someone gets back for safety... long rebounds lead to break out points for the defense too. for boys at least

I would prefer to stop transition than send multiple players to the offensive glass. Especially in the girls' game, a follow shot after an OR is a chancy proposition.

And as for three-point threats, basically I want all our players to be credible threats -- that is, their form and their willingness to shoot wide-open threes forces opponents to step out of the lane to guard them.

I would prefer to stop transition than send multiple players to the offensive glass. Especially in the girls' game, a follow shot after an OR is a chancy proposition.

And as for three-point threats, basically I want all our players to be credible threats -- that is, their form and their willingness to shoot wide-open threes forces opponents to step out of the lane to guard them.
Read it again and picture 15 feet. There are 2 players in foul line area that will react to rim contact and react to sprint back if defender rebounds! It s a profit cost scenario. If we get beat in transition (which we don’t usually) we ll send a guard to rotate back! Welcome to 2023 where we feast on long rebounds and out hustling teams for long rebounds instead of mindlessly jogging back. A good resource is Aaron Fearne!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT