ADVERTISEMENT

A recruiting poser

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Scouting/evaluating high school hoops talent is not an art form. A great deal of it is perception combined with projection. A current example may well be Elena Weisman, a 6-2 small forward at Mitty. Last year at this time, she and her outstanding prep teammate, Ava Uhrich, were in the process of transferring from Burlingame, the latter to Pinewood for her senior year. Weisman is entering her senior campaign in 2023-24. She didn't start for the Monarchs last season. She got limited minutes on NorCal's best female prep outfit. Uhrich, said to be headed for Southern Utah, was a gritty, physical Pinewood star, a mainstay, although out of position much of the time in the post. She's perhaps 5-10. Some on this board offered compelling evidence that Uhrich was a far better prospect than Weisman. Well, at least one verdict is in: Weisman's college offers are far more numerous (and impressive) than Uhrich's. Weisman's suitors are now approaching a dandy dozen. The likes of Seattle, Portland, Santa Clara, USF, San Jose State, UC Irvine and more are lined up requesting her services after getting a long gander at her talent during the AAU summer season. Maybe we should just postulate that college coaches are looking beyond high school production. Are they always right? Heck no. The key word is "prospect." A positive confirmation of a recruiting judgement is always an iffy proposition.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say right of the bat, your in left field. Lets just say both are different type of players and they BOTH have been sought at since frosh year each. Ava started getting offers early cause she was a 2023. They just went to a different schools that played in a far better, more competitive league with a talented team of players. Went farther in playoffs etc,,,,,, I should know..

Southern Utah had a very good year last year, as Tracy (Morris) Sanders, who graduated from Campolindo and St. Mary's College, has turned the program around. I'm not sure the schools on Weisman's list are a step up, and even if they were, they are all mid-majors.

One of the real advantages of the new era is that if things don't work out, players -- like coaches and administrators -- can move on without having to sit out a season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT