ADVERTISEMENT

"Average At Best" coach Harbaugh Wins Again

Harbaugh has been a winner at:

USD
Stanford
49ers
and now Michigan

You might now like him but his teams win.

Next week vs Mich St. should be a good indicator of just how good this Michigan team is. Beating Northwestern is nice but expected for any Michigan coach.

I think there was more talent at Michigan than people thought. It is clear from watching them last year to this year that the Harbaugh staff is developing guys and are pretty darn good schematically. They still have a ways to go before they are national title contenders, but they are certainly ahead of schedule.

Wait until they start getting some skilled players from CA like the old days. They will be perennial top 5 team every year. Jim is a nut but he can coach and motivate like no other.

Reactions: pantera-cat
Uhhhh Why is Michigan state going to be a good indicator of how good Michigan is? Michigan State will be the second best team they have played so far this season....

DJ Durken has this defense playing lights out...but as he said, shutouts are a team stat. Controlling the clock with Drevno/Harbaugh's offense and Coach Baxter's(long time Fresno State guy) special teams play, this whole thing is put together well. I'm liking Rudock at QB. Harbaugh has already done good things to him. At the same time, they have a lot of work to do. I'll be hitting up the BIG HOUSE for the Ohio State game this year, should be a doozy! I hope both teams keep winning and it comes down to something special.

I don't know why, but This thread reminds me of a few years ago when there were a bunch of people on here randomly bashing the Dykes hire by Cal. Man, those people sound really dumb now.

I like Dykes but lets not get on the bandwagon yet. He's 11-19 at CAL thus far and he got handed a 1st round draft choice QB in Jared Goff who was recruited by Tedford. A kid like that can make a lot of us look good.

I like Dykes but lets not get on the bandwagon yet. He's 11-19 at CAL thus far and he got handed a 1st round draft choice QB in Jared Goff who was recruited by Tedford. A kid like that can make a lot of us look good.

Agree Larry. It's a little early to be inducting Dykes into the college football hall of fame.

Scout Mike Farrell:

I was quoted earlier this season that I didn't think Jim Harbaugh would (not could) win a national title at Michigan. My main reasons were questions about his ability to recruit nationally as well as Urban Meyer, the constant NFL coaching rumors that will surround him and the simple fact that it's really hard to win a natty.

After three straight shutouts, including one Saturday against a Northwestern team that I raved about Friday, and a 5-1 start, I'm starting to change my tune. The impact of a coach like Harbaugh is clearly immeasurable as this isn't an overly talented team compared to the others in Michigan's program history but everyone has bought in and they believe they can win every game.

Maybe he's such a special coach, and the job he did at Stanford and San Francisco certainly gave such indications, that making Michigan relevant well ahead of schedule will bring the national recruits, allow him to be such a hot commodity in recruiting that prospects won't care about the NFL rumors and become the power in the Big Ten as the Buckeyes have done. His impact on football teams is simply amazing.

They beat a pretty good, overrated team wearing purple. Let's wait until we see how Michigan fares against the likes of Michigan State and Ohio State before handing Jim the national championship trophy.........

His schtick works better at the college level than the Pro's. He has more control over the players, both from selecting who he is going to recruit as well as their lives while on the team. He has the final say on all decisions, something he will not get at the Pro level unless someone decides he could be a successful GM/Coach. And it's very rare to see a coach be able to be successful as the GM as well. Unfortunately, his personality would appear to make it impossible for him to coexist with someone who has more power in the personnel department.

He will most likely have an interesting choice in a few years. He could stay at Michigan as a lifer and potentially surpass Schembechler, or he can try his hand at the NFL again.

Interesting scenarios that could intrigue him back to the Pro's.

If the Colts don't live up to pre season expectations, would he consider the opportunity to work with Luck again. This of course would mean a very short stint at UM, as Pagano could be gone after this season or next. Don't see this as likely.

I think Jack Del Rio will help improve the Raiders, but I'm not sold that he can actually turn them into legit contenders. 3 or 4 years down the road, would Harbaugh consider coming back to the Bay Area, where his family really enjoyed living. Especially if he was able to deliver a natty to UM prior to this.

I don't know when Belichick would consider hanging up the hoodie, but he is 63, and already has four titles as a head coach. This would likely be quite a bit later down the road from the other two above. Harbaugh would fit in well in Boston, imo and would be following a coach who has also been known as a control freak, with an owner who would give him his full backing. Perfect fit.

Uhhhh Why is Michigan state going to be a good indicator of how good Michigan is? Michigan State will be the second best team they have played so far this season....

That's exactly the reason. We saw what happened when they played Utah. Anyone can lost to a top 5 team. If they can take down Mich St. & the Buckeyes then that would be an excellent indicator of just how good they are. If they lose both, then they'll be a 3 loss team. You don't get measured in big time college football by how you play against the weaker teams. Especially at big Blue. They want to beat both Mich St. & OSU badly.

Reactions: Bubba3000
The man behind the green curtain in all of this is Trent Baalke.

The most arrogant prick on the face of the earth.

Agree Larry. It's a little early to be inducting Dykes into the college football hall of fame.

Who is inducting him in to the HOF? I'm referring to the people that idiotically wrote him off after his first year. Declaring a coaching hire bad after one year can be summed up in one word: stupid.

That's exactly the reason. We saw what happened when they played Utah. Anyone can lost to a top 5 team. If they can take down Mich St. & the Buckeyes then that would be an excellent indicator of just how good they are. If they lose both, then they'll be a 3 loss team. You don't get measured in big time college football by how you play against the weaker teams. Especially at big Blue. They want to beat both Mich St. & OSU badly.

By playing Utah as well as they did and smacking a northwestern team that beat Stanford they have already shown they are a very good team. Michigan state is overrated and Michigan is the better team. They will beat them and I will shrug my shoulders and say, "BFD".

Since 2012, 49ers drafted 22 players in 1st four rounds; just four have played more than 50 percent of snaps this fall. Hairball was problem?

I don't know why, but This thread reminds me of a few years ago when there were a bunch of people on here randomly bashing the Dykes hire by Cal. Man, those people sound really dumb now.

I'm not sold on Dykes. They won the games they were supposed to win so far and lost the one they were supposed to lose. They almost lost to Texas and Washington St and should have beat Utah. His system sucks. The offense is primed for 5 picks like Utah. The best thing he has done so far is get a D coordinator. It took the top NFL qb prospect 3 years to win games in his system. Now that Goff is out the door is it going to take another 3 years to become decent? Cal used to put people in the NFL. Not too sure about that anymore. I'm on the wait and see. If Cal finishes off the season with some wins and beats Stanford I will come on this board and apologize.

Harbaugh is looking good. Mich St and Ohio St either aren't that good or play down to their opponent. I wouldn't use them as a benchmark. Beating anyone is just about impressive as beating them at this point. Harbaugh is legit. Northwestern is a good football team and Michigan put it on them. Same with BYU. I wouldn't be surprised if they hammer Michigan St this weekend. He has his squad playing out of their minds.

His schtick works better at the college level than the Pro's. He has more control over the players, both from selecting who he is going to recruit as well as their lives while on the team. He has the final say on all decisions, something he will not get at the Pro level unless someone decides he could be a successful GM/Coach. And it's very rare to see a coach be able to be successful as the GM as well. Unfortunately, his personality would appear to make it impossible for him to coexist with someone who has more power in the personnel department.

He will most likely have an interesting choice in a few years. He could stay at Michigan as a lifer and potentially surpass Schembechler, or he can try his hand at the NFL again........

Gades......all good points, as per your usual posts, but lifetime.......have a hard time seeing that. Where has Harbaugh coached longer than 3 years except as a part time, volunteer coach with his father at Western Kentucky.
Correct me if I am wrong. I think he might have an incredible football mind but but may have lower
team skills when dealing with his superiors.

"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long". Lao Tzu

#1 RB in the nation, 2016 5 star, Kareem Walker commited to Ohio State, de-commits and will be commiting to Michigan...wow... Special things happening in Ann Arbor. Not to mention the overall #1 in the nation Rashan Gary still has Michigan and Auburn at the top of his list.

I'm not sold on Dykes. They won the games they were supposed to win so far and lost the one they were supposed to lose. They almost lost to Texas and Washington St and should have beat Utah. His system sucks. The offense is primed for 5 picks like Utah. The best thing he has done so far is get a D coordinator. It took the top NFL qb prospect 3 years to win games in his system. Now that Goff is out the door is it going to take another 3 years to become decent? Cal used to put people in the NFL. Not too sure about that anymore. I'm on the wait and see. If Cal finishes off the season with some wins and beats Stanford I will come on this board and apologize.

Harbaugh is looking good. Mich St and Ohio St either aren't that good or play down to their opponent. I wouldn't use them as a benchmark. Beating anyone is just about impressive as beating them at this point. Harbaugh is legit. Northwestern is a good football team and Michigan put it on them. Same with BYU. I wouldn't be surprised if they hammer Michigan St this weekend. He has his squad playing out of their minds.
O.... ok..... Writing off a coach after year one is still really dumb.

That was a good game by both teams. I feel bad for the punter. Monumental epic failure. Crazy crazy crazy ending.

That was a good game by both teams. I feel bad for the punter. Monumental epic failure. Crazy crazy crazy ending.

It was a horrible snap to start with. If the punter just falls on it Mich St. gets the ball with 8 seconds left on the 40. So 1 play and a long FG and Michigan may have lost anyway. But to somehow end up pitching it right to an oncoming defender in Yepremian-like fashion was just incredible. Poor guy.

.....definitely tough, believe he's a true freshman but on second viewing looks like the snapper deserves some of muffed credit....

EDIT 33 seconds later: As usual observer22 you are just too fast for this old guy. My post stands but yours definitely the one to read......

Last edited:
Brutal, just brutal. Can't believe the punter didn't just fall on that. It was not a great snap, but that is why you practice those situational awareness things, fall in the ball and let Sparty have to get some other type of miracle to beat you.

Reactions: slick58
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT