Angel Jackson 6' 5" Salesian College Prep High School 2019
Brooke Demetre 6'2" Mater Dei (So Cal) 2021
Cameron Brink 6' 4" Southridge 2020
Madison Campbell 5'11" Clovis West High School 2019
Hannah Jump 6' 0" Pinewood High School 2019
Haley Jones 6'2" Archbishop Mitty 2019
Jordan Sweeney 5' 8" Heritage High 2019

Reactions: basketba11
Actually not, I think they are athletic. and POSSIBLE be a overall better TEAM than last year. Haley and Hannah are two GREAT wings that can score. I HEAR that PG from Mater DEI is the real deal. They have Brink who is awesome and a strong POST down low. Add the shooting of Campbell and i think they dont have better individual players than last year. But i do like this team more as a UNIT. WATCH out for NIA Lowery. i think she will be a BIG factor on this team as she can play the 1-3.

I wasn't trying to imply that they were UN-athletic as a team at all... more so that they have a ton of height and strength that could be applied to an effective zone defensive scheme. And with said height and athleticism (and bball IQ) I could see them being able to trap very well out of their zone.

No doubt they have a TON of offensive weapons and willing passers to boot

Reactions: HoopGuy03
Demetre is a special player. She was a national recruit as she entered Mater Dei a year ago. So smooth, so selfless, so team-oriented. Athletic, tough, gifted, what's not to like? On this team, she's right up there with Jones. What a combination.

This team is good but not great like other CAL STARS in the past. The last 7 years for Calstars have be great. The talent in girl basketball these last 3 years has went down over all. A lot of these girls wouldn't have made the team. The last real great year was 2016 class since then it's been down hill but still 1 or 2 great players each year.

The talent in girl basketball these last 3 years has went down over all.
Everyone always says this. When their daughter was playing, the old timers told them that this year's players aren't as good as a few years ago. Then they watch younger players come in, and they say they're not as good as my daughter was when she started. Then when their daughter moves on, they come on this board and say how the overall level is down (if only my daughter was still playing.) Heard it all before, year after year after year. For a lot of years now.

And then we'll sometimes get people on the board who move out of the area, but still think that they know what's going on here. Give me a break.

southbayhoopfan

Tell me if their are players like: (2016)
1) McDonald UW first and now at UA (2016)
2)Ionescu Oregon (2016)
3)Moore USC (2016)
4)Cayton Cal (2016)
5)Tudor Oregon (2016)

and this only some of the players that were impact players as freshmen in major colleges. So give st least 5 because there are at least 10 .

With all due respect, Respect, Jones and Demetre could well wind up being better than any of those young people. Not sure. It's too early. But that duo is the real deal.

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
Alyson Miura 5' 9" Clackamas High School 2019
McKelle Meek 5' 7" Southridge High School 2020
Erica Miller 5' 9" Carondelet 2019
Nia Lowery 5'11" McClatchy High School 2019
Nicole Young 5'6" St. Mary's Stockton 2019
Ali Bamberger 6' 3" Carondelet High School 2019

This might be a stupid question, so forgive me, but how does this squad get together to practice?

This might be a stupid question, so forgive me, but how does this squad get together to practice?
Not sure how often it happens, I'm guessing they just do the same work with the Northwest Stars. But when they do want to get together, it helps to have access to a private jet...

Reactions: Crusaders70
Common, practice? We taking about practice??? Most AAU teams don’t do any skill development. Put on offense, press and zone defense. Anyone that tells you they will develop skills is selling you something. AAU will develop game by playing against better players.

A team like Cal Stars will be top dog because they win, go to big showcases, and Sopak has connections to many universities. I hate their brand because I don’t think they teach squat, but boy are they always good. This year will not be an exception. Very good team!

Reactions: Girls_Hoops
Actually they’ve had multiple weekend training camps already. All 13 players arrive on Fridays for a 3 hour session, followed by about 8 hours on saturday and then a 2-3 hour session on sunday. They have implemented multiple offenses and defenses as well as quick hitters, SLOBS, and BLOBS. A work in progress, no question, as these things take time to build into a cohesive unit. But it isn’t a “roll it out and play” mentality. These kids are all committed to the process and that is to grow individually and collectively and to compete against the best in the country.

This is another good group that CalStars has put together this year, definitely on paper looks like could compete for Nike EYBL championship. Of course with this many good players, as Coach said, cohesiveness and chemistry is very important and will come into play when face challenges from other good teams. Good luck to all of these girls, wish them tremendous success this AAU season!! Great opportunity for many of them to be seen by scouts all over the country!!

Actually they’ve had multiple weekend training camps already. All 13 players arrive on Fridays for a 3 hour session, followed by about 8 hours on saturday and then a 2-3 hour session on sunday. They have implemented multiple offenses and defenses as well as quick hitters, SLOBS, and BLOBS. A work in progress, no question, as these things take time to build into a cohesive unit. But it isn’t a “roll it out and play” mentality. These kids are all committed to the process and that is to grow individually and collectively and to compete against the best in the country.
Thanks for bringing in a more specific, and first hand account of what they do. Anyone who has seen a decent amount of EYBL play knows the top teams don't just roll it out and play like you said. I think this team could be really really good. Hope you enjoy watching your daughter with them again

I saw them on Saturday at City College. They are very big and extremely long, look like a college team. A lot of ball screens and a lot of high/low action. It was definitely not run and gun. They pulled the ball out and ran an offense almost every possession. Haley Jones was at the point if that gives a visual as to their size and she looked small.

Reactions: OnBall8

My question is how did Anya Choice not make this team? I'd be interested in knowing how these teams are selected and what the criteria is. I remember Imari Thomas not being asked to try out for Cal Stars as well when clearly she was one of the better players in the Bay Area.

Reactions: kevchoice
My question is how did Anya Choice not make this team? I'd be interested in knowing how these teams are selected and what the criteria is. I remember Imari Thomas not being asked to try out for Cal Stars as well when clearly she was one of the better players in the Bay Area.

Im sure style plays ALOT into the decision and im sure when looking at point guards the kid from MD is WAY better. Choice is a good i like her game game but i dont think she fits in with this unit. Just different style of play.

Cameron Brink is likely to be the best of them all. She has a very good chance to be an Olympian.

Agreed. Brink is a top 5 national recruit in the 2020 class. Jones is for 2019 by almost all accounts. Demetre top 5 in her class (2021) too. Already has offers from USC, Baylor, Oregon, etc, etc, etc.

This yrs team is not as athletic as last yrs. But they are definitely HUGE.
I'm not convinced they are going to be as successful with their press.
Can Coach Sopak or Gonsalves actually teach M2M?
Or do all they have is the "FIRE" press and doubling on misses?

Question for the board:

Why do all these teams go to these viewing tournaments and press, play bully ball and DONT play M2M defense. You would think the college coaches would want to see that since that's what they are going to be asked to do in college.

This yrs team is not as athletic as last yrs. But they are definitely HUGE.
I'm not convinced they are going to be as successful with their press.
Can Coach Sopak or Gonsalves actually teach M2M?
Or do all they have is the "FIRE" press and doubling on misses?

Question for the board:

Why do all these teams go to these viewing tournaments and press, play bully ball and DONT play M2M defense. You would think the college coaches would want to see that since that's what they are going to be asked to do in college.

While I might get ripped here, I honestly believe that it's harder to teach man to man and there isn't enough time to review it or continue to get better at it. They also say that the best zones are ones that have great man to man principles. So there you have it. Gonslaves nor Sopak ever play man to man and when they do, it's very awful to watch. No help principles, but their teams can get away with it because of their athleticism; especially SMS. I remember Clay said earlier in the year that MM was gonna play a lot of man this year...I watched MM play 3 times and barely saw it.

The goal of Cal Stars or ANY high level AAU team isn't development, it's showcase, getting kids looks, getting them to college, and it should be. These high level players are there for ONE thing and that's to showcase their skills and hopefully get picked up. To that point, I think there's only a handful of coaches at the HS level that are successful at doing this too.

You would think that with 7 (yes 7) coaches on the bench that one of them could teach man... I heard their defense looked awful this weekend

You would think that with 7 (yes 7) coaches on the bench that one of them could teach man... I heard their defense looked awful this weekend

Quality...not quantity! haha if you look at the coaches besides Bamburger, who else has EVER coaches HS? Hippol? that's about it...

In all fairness I think Kelly and Tom are good coaches that run certain things and are VERY successful in doing it. The key is that they get their players to play able and beyond themselves (and they're athletic as hell). If you can get buy in, that's half the battle. What I do think is a disservice is that they aren't taught (for whatever reason-Jim Boehim never did it and look at him) or play man to man. It seems like such a lazy man/cyo type of defense.

Has anyone been following how this team has performed? Interested to hear who has been a standout? I've been able to find some of their results, but no stats/details who is looking good?

Obviously, Haley Jones and Cameron Brink looked good, but they've missed the summer events for USA Basketball. I just saw them a little on Monday and Brooke Demetre, Hannah Jump and Angel Jackson stood out in my limited viewing.

Reactions: basketba11

This group will all end up playing at many P5 programs:

Alyson Miura 5' 9" Clackamas High School 2019 USC commit
Nia Lowery 5'11" McClatchy High School 2019 Washington commit
Nicole Young 5'6" St. Mary's Stockton 2019 Princeton commit
Ali Bamberger 6' 3" Carondelet High School 2019 multiple offers incl. Washington
Angel Jackson 6' 5" Salesian College Prep High School 2019 USC commit
Madison Campbell 5'11" Clovis West High School 2019 USC commit
Hannah Jump 6' 0" Pinewood High School 2019 Stanford commit
Haley Jones 6'2" Archbishop Mitty 2019 Overall #1 recruit choosing between Stanford, ND, UConn, Oregon, S. Carolina
Jordan Sweeney 5' 8" Heritage High 2019 Idaho St commit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT