ADVERTISEMENT

Calprep freeman computer malfunctions!

mustang1970

Superstar
Nov 19, 2003
Enterprise entered their game with Pleasant Valley with a 42.7 rating. Pleasant Valley is rated 1800. After the victory they jumped 5 points.
Oakdale beats a school with a 1200 + rating and is awarded 2 points. Hope humans aren't interfering here, or the computer ....

It has to do with opponents of opponents of opponents so not necessarily a direct reflection on the ranking of team you beat. there was a great post on here explaining how this can happen and helped me understand the rankings much better, i font know enough to even begin to explain just that at this point its tricky.

Sorry but track last weeks game by Enterprise and there was no other teams involved that affects them. They, including Vacaville had lost or weren't involved. I am a stat man and I am telling you there was nothing but straight ahead victory comparisons involved.

im not claiming i know exactly how it works but do know that it isnt just the ranking of the team you played that effects the rankings. Although there is a cap on in i am pretty sure margin of victory even comes into play.

To say again, this is end of season. There were no other variables left other than what I shared. No opponents of opponents etc. involved anymore.

Originally posted by mustang1970:
Enterprise entered their game with Pleasant Valley with a 42.7 rating. Pleasant Valley is rated 1800. After the victory they jumped 5 points.
Oakdale beats a school with a 1200 + rating and is awarded 2 points. Hope humans aren't interfering here, or the computer ....
OK - I am not suggesting by my post I know the Freeman system that well, but I do know a couple things related to your post.
1. The Freeman rating system is not a linear system. 1 point difference at 0 is much different from 1 point at +75 or -75.
2. To a certain level (I don't know what that level is but somewhere in the recesses of my memory, 14 point spread limit rings out) game point speads are relevant. So no doubt the Enterprise 31-0 win is more powerful than an Oakdale 27-23 win.
3. The Freeman system is also inner-related to the extent of games played among oppenent of opponents. There were 39 games played in CA this weekend not to mention other games being played outside of the state that may have some link to NorCal teams. If there is some link, it even affects the rating of teams whose season is over including Enterprise.

I am with you, hell i cant even begin to understand exactly how it works but do understand that some of those things come into play with the rankings.

Good logical thinking but after Friday adjustment for St. Mary's loss already made by Freeman (who played Central Catholic like Oakdale) Saturday was a linear deal for Oakdale as was last week for Enterprise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT