ADVERTISEMENT

Campo @ DLS for ALL the D1 NorCal Marbles!

What an incredible run! A 1,300 student D3 public school (by enrollment not this ridiculous competitive equity bs) takes down Serra, Capitol Christian, Salesian and De La Salle! Unreal! Never seen anything like it! One more baby!

There guards are incredible. The trio of Mahaney bro’ and callas is as good as anywhere. These kids are all gym rats.

*********************************************************************************************************
-ARHS

I totally get the we beat campo back in December argument, fair enough! And trust me, I think shutting the game down was as big of a joke as anyone. Riordan needs to take that up with whoever ultimately made those decisions. That said, for the sake of fun, let us walk through a little mental exercise!

Case Study #1:
On 1/24 riordan beat saint Francis 67 to 59.
On 2/14 riordan beat saint francis 69 to 62
On 2/21 riordan loses to saint francis 66-60 in CCS!!!

Case Study #2:
On 1/17 riordan beat bellarmine 71 - 63
On 2/7 riordan loses to bellarmine 62-51!!!!

Case Study #3:
On 1/21 riordan beats mitty 62-51
On 2/11 riordan loses to mitty 61-59!!!!

And for the sake of #science we will flip things the other way....

Case study #4:
On 1/4 riordan lost to Serra 50 to 48
On 1/28 riordan beats Serra 52 to 50!!!!

We can apply this logic to salesian v. Campo as well, for they met twice. Once early and once late.

Moral of the story: just because you beat a team once(or even twice) earlier in the season, doesnt necassarily mean that you will beat that team in round 2 or even 3!

I totally get the we beat campo back in December argument, fair enough! And trust me, I think shutting the game down was as big of a joke as anyone. Riordan needs to take that up with whoever ultimately made those decisions. That said, for the sake of fun, let us walk through a little mental exercise!

Case Study #1:

Case Study #2:

Case Study #3:

Case study #4:

We can apply this logic to salesian v. Campo as well, for they met twice. Once early and once late.

Moral of the story: just because you beat a team once(or even twice) earlier in the season, doesnt necassarily mean that you will beat that team in round 2 or even 3!
I see what you did there

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood

Case Study #1:

Case Study #2:

Case Study #3:

Case study #4:

Nice Try Donnie but let's be real! Nobody will ever know ... Campo earned their way. Campolindo played De la Salle . Riordan didn't get the opportunity to play De La Salle. Riordan was the #1 seed who would have been playing at HOME. League opponents are way different then playing other teams, way different. I can not take away Campolindo's victory at all. De la Salle advanced on a DQ. What I can say is when Riordan played Campolindo, it was a double digit win on a neutral court. Riordan didn't play their best game either.

Nice Try Donnie but let's be real! Nobody will ever know ... Campo earned their way. Campolindo played De la Salle . Riordan didn't get the opportunity to play De La Salle. Riordan was the #1 seed who would have been playing at HOME. League opponents are way different then playing other teams, way different. I can not take away Campolindo's victory at all. De la Salle advanced on a DQ. What I can say is when Riordan played Campolindo, it was a double digit win on a neutral court. Riordan didn't play their best game either.

Definitely not trying to get into it with you. I have a ton of respect for people who actually have the balls(do the feminists let us use that term anymore?) to use their real name as their handle(like myself obviously). Big time props for that!

That said, you nailed it with this "Nobody will ever know".......

Totally agree. Impossible to say definitively who would have won that game. Could have gone either way. Same with Riordan vs. De la salle. We could walk through all kinds of examples where team A beats team B, and then team B beats team C, and then "shockingly" team C beats team A. Dublin in relation to de la salle and Riordan would be a good example of this off the top of my head if Riordan were to have beaten de la salle on the court

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Definitely not trying to get into it with you. I have a ton of respect for people who actually have the balls(do the feminists let us use that term anymore?) to use their real name as their handle(like myself obviously). Big time props for that!

Totally agree. Impossible to say definitively who would have won that game. Could have gone either way. Same with Riordan vs. De la salle. We could walk through all kinds of examples where team A beats team B, and then team B beats team C, and then "shockingly" team C beats team A. Dublin in relation to de la salle and Riordan would be a good example of this off the top of my head if Riordan were to have beaten de la salle on the court
Texts and Posts can be misinterpreted. I have no problem with your posts. At all...just give my opinions as well. Nothing wrong with going back and forth with respect!

Case Study #1:

Case Study #2:

Case Study #3:

Case study #4:

As you said we will never know, however one thing I must say thru experience is you never know at this time of the year who may or may not win and previous games in my opinion don't matter at this point.

Case in point. Riordan dominates SH at home and away in the 2002 season. SH beats Riordan in the WCAL title game neutral court and then the CCS game at Santa Clara, will never forget how pissed the kids were in the locker room hearing SH celebrate.

Then when it was literally win or go home, Riordan won not only on a neutral court but with out of area refs which was actually a big part of those battles, and the rest is history.

All in all I am completely against having the Nor Cal final at a home court. I feel every nor cal title game should be on a neutral court and moved back to Saturdays in Sac, so in turn the kids also have a week to prep for state.

I been mum on this entire debacle. BUT I knew it was all bad when I pulled into the parking lot on Phelan street and found out the Riordan game was postponed.

I will say this Riordan would have put a 10-20 spot on De La salle and took it to Campo again. CAMPO had serious problems trying to defend the Riordan guards and the Crusaders out muscled them on the boards.

IT WOULDN'T have been close. I said it. Its water on the bridge now and it is what it is. And we will never know. BUT we can speculate.

TO be honest Riordan got screwed in not being the number 1 seed in the ccs open, to be frank. RIORDAN split with Mitty and Bellermine. AND there only other league loss was to 2nd place Serra by 2 points.

MEANWHILE Mitty lost to the 2nd to last place team St Ignatius and Bellermine lost to 4th place St Francis. Riordan shouldve had the number 1 seed in ccs.

So Riordan plays St Francis and beats them by 8 or 10 points. Then has to face them the next week. six days later. ITS hard to beat a team 3 times. Especially in back to back weeks..And a team that is a league foe.

So now the Crusaders are the #1 seed in D1 and they play two solid back to back games. Then the virus strikes a Riordan parent and there kid a wrestling student and the season is derailed.

At least the Riordan kids know they won there last game they played in High School. They won the WCAL after not winning league in 13 years. Won the Crusader Classic and came in 3rd place in Gridley.

So it was a success. The season. It could have been better. BUT things happen the way they happened. I am glad the 6 seniors will move on successfully. All of which will be moving on to play basketball D1. D2. d3 Prep or JC.

So I may sound bitter, but the players know...This Corona thing may start the end of high school sports, as we know it. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

AS of now club/aau ball is starting up and the workouts are taking place all over the bay area. CORNONA or the threat of it, hasnt stopped this. As of now.

As you said we will never know, however one thing I must say thru experience is you never know at this time of the year who may or may not win and previous games in my opinion don't matter at this point.

Case in point. Riordan dominates SH at home and away in the 2002 season. SH beats Riordan in the WCAL title game neutral court and then the CCS game at Santa Clara, will never forget how pissed the kids were in the locker room hearing SH celebrate.

Then when it was literally win or go home, Riordan won not only on a neutral court but with out of area refs which was actually a big part of those battles, and the rest is history.

All in all I am completely against having the Nor Cal final at a home court. I feel every nor cal title game should be on a neutral court and moved back to Saturdays in Sac, so in turn the kids also have a week to prep for state.

Lets also not discount Campo has state champion pedigree from the previous year with most of those players on the squad.

It was a 5 point game at the start of the 4th period and then Riordan put the clamps on the rim in the 4th to win by 14 (Campo only scored 7 in the final quarter).

Well you said it right there. HELD to 7 POINTS in 4th quarter. State pedigree is great. BUT i will take the street pedigree. ESPECIALLY when its from West Oakland or Joseph Lee or Ocean View gyms.

Its water under the bridge now. But I wish them well and all the Norcal teams. Especially the Panthers from Berkeley.

They got a former middle and high school classmate of mine and coach from the 415- Western Edition coaching them. I am pulling for him hard.

I been mum on this entire debacle. BUT I knew it was all bad when I pulled into the parking lot on Phelan street and found out the Riordan game was postponed.

I will say this Riordan would have put a 10-20 spot on De La salle and took it to Campo again. CAMPO had serious problems trying to defend the Riordan guards and the Crusaders out muscled them on the boards.

IT WOULDN'T have been close. I said it. Its water on the bridge now and it is what it is. And we will never know. BUT we can speculate.

TO be honest Riordan got screwed in not being the number 1 seed in the ccs open, to be frank. RIORDAN split with Mitty and Bellermine. AND there only other league loss was to 2nd place Serra by 2 points.

MEANWHILE Mitty lost to the 2nd to last place team St Ignatius and Bellermine lost to 4th place St Francis. Riordan shouldve had the number 1 seed in ccs.

So Riordan plays St Francis and beats them by 8 or 10 points. Then has to face them the next week. six days later. ITS hard to beat a team 3 times. Especially in back to back weeks..And a team that is a league foe.

So now the Crusaders are the #1 seed in D1 and they play two solid back to back games. Then the virus strikes a Riordan parent and there kid a wrestling student and the season is derailed.

At least the Riordan kids know they won there last game they played in High School. They won the WCAL after not winning league in 13 years. Won the Crusader Classic and came in 3rd place in Gridley.

So it was a success. The season. It could have been better. BUT things happen the way they happened. I am glad the 6 seniors will move on successfully. All of which will be moving on to play basketball D1. D2. d3 Prep or JC.

So I may sound bitter, but the players know...This Corona thing may start the end of high school sports, as we know it. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

AS of now club/aau ball is starting up and the workouts are taking place all over the bay area. CORNONA or the threat of it, hasnt stopped this. As of now.
If the water is on the bridge THEY'RE doomed from jump.

Hope you guys arent making plans for Golden 1 this weekend, not gonna happen... if lucky, games with no fans might go on... if NBA teams, March Madness, etc. are gonna give up millions and millions of $, your little HS basketball tournament sure ain't going on as scheduled...

LA TIMES, KRON, ABC all contacted us this morning trying to get an interview or a statement on this situation. I let Bryce speak but I declined because I am not qualified to be answering questions on this matter. All I can say is it hurts.

Reactions: Hoop Royalty
LA TIMES, KRON, ABC all contacted us this morning trying to get an interview or a statement on this situation. I let Bryce speak but I declined because I am not qualified to be answering questions on this matter. All I can say is it hurts.
Nah you dont need a qualification to speak facts. Wish you would have.

Lets also not discount Campo has state champion pedigree from the previous year with most of those players on the squad.

It was a 5 point game at the start of the 4th period and then Riordan put the clamps on the rim in the 4th to win by 14 (Campo only scored 7 in the final quarter).

Campo has nothing at all to be ashamed of with winning the NorCal D1 title. They earned it every step of the way. They got screwed with a #7 seed to start, then beat Serra. Then they beat #2 seed CC, #3 seed Salesian and #4 seed DLS all on the road. Plus they won their opening round NCS Open game. It’s really too bad what happened, but it’s hard to say Campo isn’t deserving.

Its been a galaxy far far away since the last time I watched KRON. And we are around the same age but who reached out to you? Vernon Glenn, Mr. Involvement? lol Did Rick Quan from KPIX reach out?

Well, guess I should say something, but I dunno what. My team's getting a bit of a break due to the fact that Riordan is the only team that beat us by double digits this season, and one of only two that won by more than two possessions (Other is Dublin).

I'm hoping my Cougs can do something to tribute Riordan at Golden 1, like maybe wear Riordan warmup shirts in pregame, cover a seat at the bench with the same, or some sort of symbolic gesture like that... Whatever they can come up with...

But even more so, I'm hoping there will be a game to play... With so many places around the world cancelling stuff, blocking travel or attendance, etc., this relatively small event could get stopped at any time before Friday...

I'm not expecting it nor have I heard even the slightest rumbling of anything like it, but the possibility exists just the same.

Well, guess I should say something, but I dunno what. My team's getting a bit of a break due to the fact that Riordan is the only team that beat us by double digits this season, and one of only two that won by more than two possessions (Other is Dublin).
Classy response as usual. I had planned to come over and introduce myself but the Coronavirus had other plans.

I'm hoping my Cougs can do something to tribute Riordan at Golden 1, like maybe wear Riordan warmup shirts in pregame, cover a seat at the bench with the same, or some sort of symbolic gesture like that... Whatever they can come up with...

But even more so, I'm hoping there will be a game to play... With so many places around the world cancelling stuff, blocking travel or attendance, etc., this relatively small event could get stopped at any time before Friday...

I'm not expecting it nor have I heard even the slightest rumbling of anything like it, but the possibility exists just the same.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT