ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal Newman has won four straight after 1st round win

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Cardinal Newman beat Moreau Catholic 5-1 in the first round of the NCS Division III playoffs.

Sean Flowers gave up five hits and one run over six innings while striking out nine batters. Carson Crawford tossed a perfect seventh inning.

Cardinal Newman senior Nick George went 2-for-3 with a home run and three RBI.

Moreau Catholic sophomore Noah Zertuche went 3-for-3.

Cardinal Newman led 4-0 after three innings.

Even though 9th seeded Campolindo has had a down year for them, I would not be looking past them if I were the top seed CN playing at home tomorrow night. They always have some players and in baseball all it takes is 1 pitcher to get hot on a given day. CN still the clear favorite, but Campo not a good 2nd round draw for them.

Reactions: bella123
Baseball is really tricky. Seedings don't mean as much in my opinion as compared to football/hoops. You can ride your best players arm and have a few lucky things happen. This should be a really good game. Hopefully the rain stays away.

Well just like we were sayings... Seedings don't mean that much in baseball. Newman got pounded by Campo 11-1. I guess it was pretty ugly in terms of errors. (7 in total led to a host of runs). Campo is a good team and better than record like observer said. Tough way to go out for newman with worse loss of season after putting together a nice year 21 win season under 2nd year coach Debendetti. Good Wins over Monte Vista, SRV, Davis, Frontier from Bakersfield who just beat Buchanan. Good young talent in that program should help build for next year.
Congrats to Campo. Been a great year for that sports program.

So Fort Bragg and ElMo played 11 innings and game was called due to darkness tied 1-1.

ElMo is willing to go back to finish, but rain is forecast for Saturday. Rumor was both teams possibly would have to go to Albany to finish on Monday and winner plays SMB right after. If that is the scenario and I’m Fort Bragg I give them the middle finger and say we finish at home. We didn’t play all year to earn a home game only to finish at neutral site 175 miles away.

NCS should just adjust the schedules it’s already behind. But Gil Lemmon is probably looking for the shiny football coin for a flip or brushing up on Ro Sham Bo rules so they can just get it over with.

Reactions: observer22
NCS can't get out of their own way on schedule issues. They had a co-champion a few years back because of a similar situation

Reactions: bella123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT