ADVERTISEMENT

Daniyel Ngata staying put at Folsom

Doherty is a good coach but there are coaches in the area that have beat him before (albeit he had less talent than he does now).
Superior talent wins games. DLS & Menlo Atherton match talent, both DLS and Papin will out-coach Doherty. However, Folsom will take the SFL again. Whitney, Del Oro, Granite Bay and Grant won't have the coaching or talent to win. Rocklin is a mystery. Oak Ridge has both talent and coaching, it's possible.

Superior talent wins games. DLS & Menlo Atherton match talent, both DLS and Papin will out-coach Doherty. However, Folsom will take the SFL again. Whitney, Del Oro, Granite Bay and Grant won't have the coaching or talent to win. Rocklin is a mystery. Oak Ridge has both talent and coaching, it's possible.

Rumor is Rocklin will have a real good squad this coming year but won't have anything to touch Folsom. Agree on OR being the best of the rest. The rest can't match Folsom's talent, as you noted. Should be good and competitive in the league 2-6 though.

The big deal will be the OL vs DLS...i also hope Daugherty can make better adjustments against DLS..i heard that Badger was hardly uses despite having a better game against DLS than J Ngata..same goes for using D Ngata ..i think troy taylor might have done better with in game call last year than richardson but thats a total guess

The big deal will be the OL vs DLS...i also hope Daugherty can make better adjustments against DLS..i heard that Badger was hardly uses despite having a better game against DLS than J Ngata..same goes for using D Ngata ..i think troy taylor might have done better with in game call last year than richardson but thats a total guess

Joy, in my opinion, coaching will be weaker this year compared to last, not weak, but not as good as what you have had the last decade. I think Doherty is good, as is Cosbie and others, but not the same pedigree you've enjoyed.

i heard that Badger was hardly uses despite having a better game against DLS than J Ngata..same goes for using D Ngata ..

As a fan watching the game, that was my biggest gripe. I thought Folsom's game plan was far too stubborn and played right into what DLS wanted them to do. The Spartans took a page out of Bill Belichick's playbook by taking away Folsom's best offensive player thus setting the stage for others to beat them. Badger was largely singled up and was making plays when given the opportunity. But they continued to try to force the action to Joe Ngata.

I was also surprised they didn't try to take advantage of Daniyel Ngata's receiving skills with all the attention on Joe. He ran the ball well, even breaking a few, but just didn't get enough looks. All in all, with such a collection of weapons at their disposal, I thought the offensive game plan was sorely lacking.

Their defense, on the other hand, was fantastic. Even with a green QB, holding DLS scoreless at the half and to 14 points for the game is quite a feat.

As a fan watching the game, that was my biggest gripe. I thought Folsom's game plan was far too stubborn and played right into what DLS wanted them to do. The Spartans took a page out of Bill Belichick's playbook by taking away Folsom's best offensive player thus setting the stage for others to beat them. Badger was largely singled up and was making plays when given the opportunity. But they continued to try to force the action to Joe Ngata.

I was also surprised they didn't try to take advantage of Daniyel Ngata's receiving skills with all the attention on Joe. He ran the ball well, even breaking a few, but just didn't get enough looks. All in all, with such a collection of weapons at their disposal, I thought the offensive game plan was sorely lacking.

Their defense, on the other hand, was fantastic. Even with a green QB, holding DLS scoreless at the half and to 14 points for the game is quite a feat.
Good points, especially about the play calling stubbornness. I also think Folsom abandoned the run game much too quickly. They needed the balance to help keep DLS’s defense off balance. Falling behind 14-0 isn’t insurmountable, but Folsom started passing nearly every down after that, enabling the Spartans to pin their ears back and get after the QB. He was taking a lot of hits, and it seemed to affect his play. Big strategic mistake.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I think the statement "even with a green qb..." is a bit misleading. DLS did have a sophmore qb starting his first game and it was a very good game for DLS on offense considering their first game of the year. Good thing for Folsom they got to play DLS in the first game of the year.

Reactions: THEOC89
I think the statement "even with a green qb..." is a bit misleading. DLS did have a sophmore qb starting his first game and it was a very good game for DLS on offense considering their first game of the year. Good thing for Folsom they got to play DLS in the first game of the year.
Not to mention they were replacing 4 starters on the OL. But give Folsom’s DL credit, they were very stout, very tough.

The Spartans took a page out of Bill Belichick's playbook by taking away Folsom's best offensive player
If an OC knows they are up against a staff who WILL give their best player greater attention than normal, either use him in atypical ways or use others on field.......or brute force it which is a typical choice of many coaches short on creativity.

Good points, especially about the play calling stubbornness. I also think Folsom abandoned the run game much too quickly. They needed the balance to help keep DLS’s defense off balance. Falling behind 14-0 isn’t insurmountable, but Folsom started passing nearly every down after that, enabling the Spartans to pin their ears back and get after the QB. He was taking a lot of hits, and it seemed to affect his play. Big strategic mistake.

Reflecting on the DLS game, Folsom might have had more success if they had run the QB more often. The DLS secondary played well in that game...receivers weren't wide open with easy reads. The reads were difficult relative to the typical opponent that Folsom faces. Kudos to the DLS coaching staff. QB needed a bigger cannon and better anticipation to get the ball there on time.

I think the statement "even with a green qb..." is a bit misleading.

How so? It’s absolutely true. Definitely different than facing DLS with a JR or SR version of Bart Houston.

Point was, DLS is such a machine even when fielding lesser experienced players that a first half shutout and 14 points in total is a wonderful feat — specifically for a NorCal team. History proves as much.

Reflecting on the DLS game, Folsom might have had more success if they had run the QB more often. The DLS secondary played well in that game...receivers weren't wide open with easy reads. The reads were difficult relative to the typical opponent that Folsom faces. Kudos to the DLS coaching staff. QB needed a bigger cannon and better anticipation to get the ball there on time.
I agree with this post. Folsom shoulda ran just a bit more. I think they just started to panic a little to early and completely abandoned the run. That said, the DLS secondary and pass rush were on point all game. I hear people saying that "Folsom had a bunch of TOs". To me those weren't TOs as much as DLS making big time DLS type plays. Those ints by Garrett are TDs against any other of Folsom's opponents. All of those fumbles were sacks, hard hits, and strips forced by an near/elite team. Folsom didn't "turnover" anything. They were just playing DLS and not Antelope. But they made a few plays, played strong defense, and hung in there to the end. Props to them for that.

I agree with this post. Folsom shoulda ran just a bit more. I think they just started to panic a little to early and completely abandoned the run. That said, the DLS secondary and pass rush were on point all game. I hear people saying that "Folsom had a bunch of TOs". To me those weren't TOs as much as DLS making big time DLS type plays. Those ints by Garrett are TDs against any other of Folsom's opponents. All of those fumbles were sacks, hard hits, and strips forced by an near/elite team. Folsom didn't "turnover" anything. They were just playing DLS and not Antelope. But they made a few plays, played strong defense, and hung in there to the end. Props to them for that.

DLS is an excellent program. Amazingly good coaching. Kids were respectful, tough, focused. I suspect they do that week in, week out. That's a culture thing. Something to strive for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT