ADVERTISEMENT

EBAL Prediction 1-23-15

eastbaytruth2

Rookie
Jan 20, 2015
I have my ticket for the big game this evening and can't wait for what should be great basketball. As we head towards the conclusion of the first half of league, here are my thoughts on the contests for tonight:

FOOTHILL at LIVERMORE - The Falcons have had one heck of a stretch, playing some of the best in league. They get to switch auto pilot on tonight and coast to a much needed victory. FOOTHILL 63 LIVERMORE 38

AMADOR VALLEY at MONTE VISTA - The only thing that concerns me is if the Mustangs have a let down moment after such a big victory on Tuesday. Amador has shown that it can compete for part of the game against SRV and DLS and it would be best for MV to take it to them fast. The LaShelle brothers should have plenty of success against the AV interior, even with Chaffee in the middle. MV 62 AV 51

CAL at GRANADA - The Grizzlies got their first win of the league season but I don't see them getting another win until they face Livermore again. Granada has been disappointing to watch, with Johnson shining but very little supporting cast. For this evening, all will be well in Matador land. GRANADA 59 CAL 43

SAN RAMON VALLEY at DE LA SALLE - This game has so many implications and it's only the sixth game in league! The Spartans have to win this game in order to avoid a two game gap from first place. What I noticed from their game against Monte Vista was their defense, and how it is not what it has been in years past. The point blank shots that were being given up shocked me and it needs to be corrected tonight. The Wolves have been given little respect with many saying they simply earned the five victories that they were supposed to win. For those who have doubt, consider the fact that they beat a host Granada, something MV failed to do. DLS, MV, and SRV have all faced Foothill as the visiting team. Monte Vista almost lost although they held a good lead, they imploded and a missed lay-up would have beat them. DLS was only up one possession with two minutes to play. SRV entered the 4th with a one point lead before starting the final period on a 17-0 run. The Wolves have shown that they are capable of being in the top position and tonight could be a defining moment for them. My gut tells me that DLS will take this because they are going to be a pissed off group looking for revenge from earlier in the week. Lack of common sense says the Wolves can win this and really shake the league up. SRV 60 DLS 58

Enjoy the games!

EastBayTruth, I too have my ticket for the big game and as much as I have agreed with you over the years, I only see the San Ramon vs. DLS game a little differently. Allocco teams almost never lose back to back games locally and in league and I've been around these neck of the woods a very long time, as a high school player, coach and ref. San Ramon is very capable of winning this game, no doubt but I think DLS will do everything in there power to take Smith out of the game. He is the heart and soul of this team and once he isn't there to make everyone else around him better, then that's when the Spartans will make there move. I am somewhat worried that the Spartans don't have a single player to accomplish this goal but it will be a team effort and they will use any and all players to slow the Smith train down.
DLS 65 SRV 57

Monte Vista @ Amador- I think this game will start slow and the Mustangs will have a little bit of a let down from there huge win on Tuesday night. LaShells & Mitu have been solid all year but I think tonight, a 3rd player will be key for this victory.
MV 64 AV 54

Cal @ Granada- The losing streak is over for the Mats and the winning streaks comes to an end for the Grizz. Johnson is taking this team on his back and he will not disappoint. Grizz are lacking the talent and inside game to compete but watch out, if the Grizz get hot from the outside, against this zone, this game could be close.
Granada 62 Cal 54

Foothill @ Livermore- This place hasn't been friendly to the Falcons in previous years but Isaacs has this team focused and lightning won't strike twice in Livermore tonight.
FH 59 LIV 42

After getting shut out of the MV @ DLS game (for the 3rd year in a row), I managed to get a ticket for tonight's battle with the Wolves after two early-morning trips to the bookstore... Next year, season ticket... They need to find a way to expand/replace that gym. Anywayyy... I also doubt that the Spartans will drop their 2nd in a row. Sparty 66, Wolves 57, but it'll be a tough game.

MV has obviously come together after its rough first league week, and should be monsters the rest of the way. MV 66, AV 49

Haven't seen Cal at all, so I have no guess on that game...

Foothill should breeze past Livermore... Foothill 65 - 35.

NorCalScout- I hear what you are saying. I know it is almost unheard of for a DLS team to lose two league games in a row. The Wolves have their work cut out for them so I am sure very few would agree with my position that they can come away with the win. I would agree that taking Smith out of the equation will be their focus, trapping him in open floor, jamming any on ball screens, and just tire him out. I think Fuca has been a quality one-two punch with for the backcourt and he will have to step up and play a strong game. Frank has all of the experience and Botteen is still new to the varsity level. Any quick adjustments or tricks by DLS will be interesting to see how the rookie coach counters.
Like I said, my gut says the game goes to DLS, but I am going to take a risk and say SRV will just do enough to get by. Should be a fun contest!

Kiddman- Congratulations on getting tickets. I think next year I will try to buy a few extra so I can scalp and make some sweet money. It feels like they would go for $40 a pop to a desperate person wanting to get in!

San Ramon- Would love to see the Spartans lose back to back games and I think the Wolves have just enough to get the job done and make up for the inexperience of their new varsity head coach. Much different game then JV.

Amador Valley- My heart says Monte Vista but my gut says Amador. The Mustangs have struggled with the Dons is previous years and this year is no different. I think there might be a huge let down after Tuesday's upset.

Granada- This should be one sided and I look for Granada to get back to it's winning ways.

Foothill- Surprise team of the year so far in this league and it helps that they are playing Livermore.

Spartans won 53-32 after a 20-19 halftime lead... or might have been tied at 20.

The SRV - DLS game was as advertised, but just for one half. The adjustments were simple for the Spartans as they went away from their new offensive system and went back to the Princeton offense with a post option. They isolated direct drives to expose weaknesses and they found it with whichever man they wanted to attack. For the Wolves the shots did not fall and the shot selections were difficult. The game was closer than the final score indicated but DLS was clearly the better team last night.
The Wolves need to redirect their attention on Monte Vista as it will be a huge game for both teams. I see the next game between these two teams being more competitive down the stretch but congrats to the Spartans for a big night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT