ADVERTISEMENT

Final Etiwanda 55 Sierra Canyon 54

I wouldn't say upset of the year. Etiwanda is the team that won TOC last year and I picked them to go to state last year.
Mitty vs Etiwanda: what is the strength of Etiwanda? They have posts that are 6-2 & 6-3 which could test FR Woliczko who likely tallied 30 points last night. How about their guard play & ball-handling vs full court press?

Mitty vs Etiwanda: what is the strength of Etiwanda? They have posts that are 6-2 & 6-3 which could test FR Woliczko who likely tallied 30 points last night. How about their guard play & ball-handling vs full court press?
They beat Sierra Canyon and before that La Jolla Country day so it's safe to say to say Etiwanda is a strong team. And Mitty might have had a much easier path to the Championship game but they are tough squad as well. It should be interesting.

Etiwanda is the best defensive team I have ever seen. They are athletic, physical, extremely well coached and play as a team. They should be able to handle Mitty's press, but Mitty's depth may wear them down.

The uglier, the slower and the more physical the game, the bigger the advantage for Etiwanda. A tightly called game favors Mitty.

Also note that three-point shooting in NBA arenas is always difficult, given the tight rims, lighting and multiple three-point lines. Since Mitty relies more on three-point shooting, Etiwanda has a slight edge there.

If the winning team has 65 or more points, the game is Mitty's. If the winning team has fewer than 55, it's Etiwanda.

Public ... and according to coach Stan Delus (who I believe), there are no players from outside its attendance area.

EW Lost to SC at the end Feb, by 13
SC was 31-0
SC has been ranked number one in the nation for months
Has the best player in the nation
And EW is a public
….sounds like a huge upset to me
Tell me which upset is a bigger deal… this year

Clovis West is Public also and won Open in 2017. Private and Public are a lot different once you leave the Silicon Valley/Bay Area. So being Public isn't the best gauge when it comes to girls hoops outside of the Bay. I felt like Long Island Lutheran over Sidwell Friends at TOC was a way bigger upset being that Etiwanda is current ranked #6 and SC is ranked #1. Again this is the same Etiwanda squad that won TOC last year. Is it an upset? Yes! But upset of the year? I don't agree but it's a fun debate. But I do believe Sidwell was the #1 or#2 team at that time also.

Last edited:
Clovis West is Public also and won Open in 2017. Private and Public are a lot different once you leave the Silicon Valley/Bay Area. So being Public isn't the best gauge when it comes to girls hoops outside of the Bay. I felt like Long Island Lutheran over Sidwell Friends at TOC was a way bigger upset being that Etiwanda is current ranked #6 and SC is ranked #1. Again this is the same Etiwanda squad that won TOC last year. Is it an upset? Yes! But upset of the year? I don't agree but it's a fun debate. But I do believe Sidwell was the #1 or#2 team at that time also.
Sidwell lost to SC by 12 so ….no…. So the challenge still stands…show me a bigger upset

Sidwell lost to SC by 12 so ….no…. So the challenge still stands…show me a bigger upset
Prove that LuHi was even a top 10 team when they beat the. #1 or #2 ranked Sidwell Friends. If they were top 10 then it might be an even upset but I don't believe LuHi was even in the Top 10 at that point when they beat Sidwell. It just sounds to me that you didn't know Etiwanda has been a force for the last two seasons. But it's easy to forget because with SC, Etiwanda, LJCD, Mater Dei Monarchs SoCal can be a gauntlet and strong teams can be easily forgotten. It was an upset but I still disagree it was the biggest upset. Etiwanda #6 vs SC #1. That very close in ranking

Who the EFF Cares? When two teams are that close, it's not really an upset. It not like PW beating #1 Mitty or SMS when they were both heading towards national championships late in the season. PW wasn't even ranked both times (nationally).

Oakland Tech over SMS is more of an upset as they got hammered by SMS twice and won convincingly.

Reactions: GBBall4L
I wouldn't say upset of the year. Etiwanda is the team that won TOC last year and I picked them to go to state last year.
Who the EFF Cares? When two teams are that close, it's not really an upset. It not like PW beating #1 Mitty or SMS when they were both heading towards national championships late in the season. PW wasn't even ranked both times (nationally).

Oakland Tech over SMS is more of an upset as they got hammered by SMS twice and won convincingly.
I watched that OTech game it was amazing
The mental toughness OT showed…
Second biggest upset of the year

Reactions: GBBall4L
I watched that OTech game it was amazing
The mental toughness OT showed…
Second biggest upset of the year
It wasn't that big of an upset at all. SMS wasn't the same team since losing Nia Anderson for the season in December. One can argue Tech was actually the better team coming in.

Public ... and according to coach Stan Delus (who I believe), there are no players from outside its attendance area.
I would love to believe 10 Nike EYBL girls all happen to coincidentally grow up and live in a somewhat remote city. Some how the High School also has the head coach of West Coast Premier's top Nike EYBL team.

It wasn't that big of an upset at all. SMS wasn't the same team since losing Nia Anderson for the season in December. One can argue Tech was actually the better team coming in.
Looks like St Mary's still beat Oakland Tech on Jan 10th after the injury to the St Mary's guard Nia Anderson. St Mary's still Won by 13 also so it was pretty decisive. Doesn't seem like there was no indicator that Tech could beat St Mary's being they still lost in Jan. Tech must have made some adjustments to their game plan for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtomicDawg1911
I would love to believe 10 Nike EYBL girls all happen to coincidentally grow up and live in a somewhat remote city. Some how the High School also has the head coach of West Coast Premier's top Nike EYBL team.
they probably didnt grow up there, however rancho cuca has been the benefit of gentrification in los angeles or families just wanting to get away from the violence that plagues los angeles, compton, watts and long beach. you think all those kids grew up in corona on the boys side for football and basketball? no, they are transplants as well. just like tracy, stockton, modesto, pitt and so on up in the bay.

they probably didnt grow up there, however rancho cuca has been the benefit of gentrification in los angeles or families just wanting to get away from the violence that plagues los angeles, compton, watts and long beach. you think all those kids grew up in corona on the boys side for football and basketball? no, they are transplants as well. just like tracy, stockton, modesto, pitt and so on up in the bay.
Your point is valid and a good one. My guess is there is a lot more going on here also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT