ADVERTISEMENT

First Round Upset Watch

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Looking at tonight's schedule, what seeding upsets do you see happening?

D1: #9 Granada over #8 Sacred Heart Cathedral (I think University might get Jesuit, but not bold enough to pick it LOL)
D2: #9 Whitney over #8 Pleasant Valley and #14 California over #3 Sacramento
D3: #9 Oakland over #8 Ponderosa
D4: #12 Calaveras over #5 Chico and #14 Oakwood over #3 Marin Catholic and #15 Union Mine over #2 Hillsdale

Reactions: MC415
Streak, some of these I wouldn’t even call upset. (Poor seeding) I like university also but I think Jesuit is a little too much.
My take (I like ebal)
1. Granada over SHC
2. Dublin with upset over inderkum. (5v12)
3. SRV over Clovis North
4. Whitney over PV. Whitney tougher schedule

Inderkum will not lose to Dublin in Natomas. Too big for the Gaels.
Jesuit will take down University in the comfy combine of Carmichael.

I have #13Campolindo over #4Riordan, battle tested in big games, Great Coach!
#11Serra and the Padres over #6Salesian in a zone buster.

Biggest pick is #15 Sacred Heart Prep Gators will slow down the Bulldogs. #2Folsom will lose at home two years in a row after getting Special SFL treatment for MaxPreps viewership online money.

#12Priory Panthers will give the #5 Vanden Vikings a test.

Reactions: ayalar09
My underdog picks/thoughts for tonight in DI:

1. Campo over Riordan - Riordan coaches probably cringed when they saw that matchup
2. Granada over SHC - I really like Granada's team and think they'll give Clovis West all they want is they happen to beat SHC. Traveling to Clovis / Fresno is a tough task although Livermore is already half way there from the Bay Area :p.
3. Salesian v Serra could be very interesting - clash of styles with physicality of Serra vs quickness / athleticism of Salesian. I wonder if Serra will be able to keep Salesian players in front of them with their pressure man-to-man defense which is their calling card. I think Salesian will win but wouldn't be too shocked if Serra was able to pull off the upset.

In DII - i think two under-rated teams - Weston Ranch vs Menlo-Atherton will be a good game with the winner giving Branson some troubles in round 2. Still like Branson coming out of DII (they should have been a mid-high DI team IMO).

Reactions: pines6969
inderkum looks unbeatable when they get off the bus... the the ball goes up.

although last year versus serra they took them apart easily

Reactions: ayalar09
Inderkum will not lose to Dublin in Natomas. Too big for the Gaels.
Jesuit will take down University in the comfy combine of Carmichael.

I have #13Campolindo over #4Riordan, battle tested in big games, Great Coach!
#11Serra and the Padres over #6Salesian in a zone buster.

Biggest pick is #15 Sacred Heart Prep Gators will slow down the Bulldogs. #2Folsom will lose at home two years in a row after getting Special SFL treatment for MaxPreps viewership online money.

#12Priory Panthers will give the #5 Vanden Vikings a test.
Folsom has somebody on payroll. I like there program and coach but I completely agree. SHP will play them tough and Folsom has been off for awhile so we will see. How motivated are they?

Dublin is so Battle tested. Would not be surprised to see them win. They have equally if not better athletes and will have the best all around player in Anderson. I’m not sold on Inderkum at all.

1 Clovis West | 16 SI - I think SI keeps it close but CW pulls away at end.
8 SH | 9 Granada - If SH can tire out the 7 footer in an up and down game, SH wins.
5 Inderkum | 12 Dublin
4 Riordan | 13 Campo - Riordan finally gets the Campo monkey off their back
3 Jesuit | 14 University - University's chemisty and cohesion ripe for the upset
6 Salesian | 11 Serra - Too much talent for Salesian for Serra to overcome
7 Clovis North | 10 SRV - Lets go local and SRV
2 Folsom | 15 SHP - Long drive home for the preppies.

Folsom has somebody on payroll. I like there program and coach but I completely agree. SHP will play them tough and Folsom has been off for awhile so we will see. How motivated are they?

Dublin is so Battle tested. Would not be surprised to see them win. They have equally if not better athletes and will have the best all around player in Anderson. I’m not sold on Inderkum at all.
IT IS THEIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take Inderkum, they defeated Saint Jospeh's of Santa Maria. You could be right that Dublin comes ready!!

Clovis West over SI: That's a long drive to Fresno from the City in poor weather. They will see that press the minute they get off bus. Constant pressure with the trapping 2-2-1 and the speed of the dribble drive. Wahlberg is ready for a deep run. SI guards are too young and will try to match the frantic pace. 81-57
Granada
over SHC: If Granada gets a late start on the bus, and it becomes a 3 hour trip. I can see Irish getting out early, and hard to over come. Granada is too battle tested with size, athletes, and most importantly Senior leadership. If they weren't in the EBAL probably be a 28 win team right now. 68-59
Dublin
over Inderkum: I am a true believer in Costello. Dublin will now be able to get out more and run with Inderkum. No more chess match seeing EBAL teams for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time. Which ever coach can make the adjustments the quickest will get their team to advance. Costello is a long vet in Nor-Cals, with a Pac 12 bucket getter plus excellent role playing athletes. 72-67
Campo
over Riordan: This is fantastic match up. Campo loves to live and die off the 3 with disciplined gritty man defense. I worry the Crusaders will try to match this shooting contest. If Curtin can get his guys to pound inside and run campo off the 3 limiting second chances. Crusader should move on. Dyer is proven to be a top-10 coach in NorCal, and has lot of big wins to his short career at the helm. Like Granada, they better already be on the bus into the city. 59-55
Jesuit
over University: Bussello done a fantastic job in the City for years. A part of me wants to see the upset just because of the work he has put in for decades. Jesuit schedule, depth, and coaching are too much to over come. 71-55
Salesian over Serra: Much respect to Rapp (See other posting), but he going against another HOF Coach in Mellis. Salesian just has too many athletes, and have great chemistry. Neither team is led by seniors. Rapp will keep this close an probably be up at half-time as the Pride won't realize how gritty a 5'9 149 lb Padre guard is. 56-51
SRV
over Clovis North: SRV is battle tested in the EBAL, and have played in some extremely challenging environments in league. They will be fine in Fresno, and have the athletes to attack the 2-2-1 press. 68-62
Folsom
over SHP: Folsom has too much depth, and athletes. Their league / section has them tested. Believe this is SHP second time in D1 Nor-Cals. That is extremely impressive for a small CCS school. 72-53

I take Inderkum, they defeated Saint Jospeh's of Santa Maria. You could be right that Dublin comes ready!!
It’s all for fun.
Clovis West over SI: That's a long drive to Fresno from the City in poor weather. They will see that press the minute they get off bus. Constant pressure with the trapping 2-2-1 and the speed of the dribble drive. Wahlberg is ready for a deep run. SI guards are too young and will try to match the frantic pace. 81-57
Granada
over SHC: If Granada gets a late start on the bus, and it becomes a 3 hour trip. I can see Irish getting out early, and hard to over come. Granada is too battle tested with size, athletes, and most importantly Senior leadership. If they weren't in the EBAL probably be a 28 win team right now. 68-59
Dublin
over Inderkum: I am a true believer in Costello. Dublin will now be able to get out more and run with Inderkum. No more chess match seeing EBAL teams for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time. Which ever coach can make the adjustments the quickest will get their team to advance. Costello is a long vet in Nor-Cals, with a Pac 12 bucket getter plus excellent role playing athletes. 72-67
Campo
over Riordan: This is fantastic match up. Campo loves to live and die off the 3 with disciplined gritty man defense. I worry the Crusaders will try to match this shooting contest. If Curtin can get his guys to pound inside and run campo off the 3 limiting second chances. Crusader should move on. Dyer is proven to be a top-10 coach in NorCal, and has lot of big wins to his short career at the helm. Like Granada, they better already be on the bus into the city. 59-55
Jesuit
over University: Bussello done a fantastic job in the City for years. A part of me wants to see the upset just because of the work he has put in for decades. Jesuit schedule, depth, and coaching are too much to over come. 71-55
Salesian
over Serra: Much respect to Rapp (See other posting), but he going against another HOF Coach in Mellis. Salesian just has too many athletes, and have great chemistry. Neither team is led by seniors. Rapp will keep this close an probably be up at half-time as the Pride won't realize how gritty a 5'9 149 lb Padre guard is. 56-51
SRV
over Clovis North: SRV is battle tested in the EBAL, and have played in some extremely challenging environments in league. They will be fine in Fresno, and have the athletes to attack the 2-2-1 press. 68-62
Folsom
over SHP: Folsom has too much depth, and athletes. Their league / section has them tested. Believe this is SHP second time in D1 Nor-Cals. That is extremely impressive for a small CCS school. 72-53
great write up. Well thought out

We play Thursday. We have a punchers chance.
Oops. I meant Thursday
Great venue at Rio. Fans are wild.
I’m hoping I can get tickets. Do you know if available on GoFan?

Guard the little blonde shooter. Looks like a surfer but is lights out and I think a fresh. These kids have all played together and really are solid. Should be a great game

Oops. I meant Thursday
Great venue at Rio. Fans are wild.
I’m hoping I can get tickets. Do you know if available on GoFan?

Guard the little blonde shooter. Looks like a surfer but is lights out and I think a fresh. These kids have all played together and really are solid. Should be a great game
all cif state tickets go through GOFAN

Yup, and the games after today are not up yet, other than one SoCal D3 game on Friday.

Looks like I'll be clickin' that link a lot today...

Looking at tonight's schedule, what seeding upsets do you see happening?

D1: #9 Granada over #8 Sacred Heart Cathedral (I think University might get Jesuit, but not bold enough to pick it LOL)
D2: #9 Whitney over #8 Pleasant Valley and #14 California over #3 Sacramento
D3: #9 Oakland over #8 Ponderosa
D4: #12 Calaveras over #5 Chico and #14 Oakwood over #3 Marin Catholic and #15 Union Mine over #2 Hillsdale
Four out of seven. Missed the mark on D4

Reactions: larry legend33
Liking round 2
Granite Bay 15-18 (Cinderella dancing away) overall has a chance to redeem SJS championship loss to Whitney.

Streak, some of these I wouldn’t even call upset. (Poor seeding) I like university also but I think Jesuit is a little too much.
My take (I like ebal)
1. Granada over SHC
2. Dublin with upset over inderkum. (5v12)
3. SRV over Clovis North
4. Whitney over PV. Whitney tougher schedule
I got 3 out of these 4 but certainly didn’t see Jesuit or Folsom losing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT