ADVERTISEMENT

Friday Scoreboard

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Two results already in:

In SJS D4, Colfax beat Riverbank 56-38. In SJS D6, Faith Christian beat Foresthill 50-46

Reactions: coachlittle
Not to take anything away from Whitney, but that girl who scored 32 earlier in the week getting hurt early didn't help CB's chances.
Her name is Kaia Foster, junior averaging 15.7 ppg. She went down about 2 minutes into the first quarter. Tried to return in the second quarter but couldn’t go.
Congratulations to Whitney.

In spite of losing to Mitty as expected Friday, over-matched Pinewood competed very well, especially in the second half when they handled the Mitty full-court pressure with patience and efficiency. Now, with ten losses, where does the NorCal seeding committee place them? Which division? Maybe Division I? No lower than Division II?

Last edited:
In spite of losing to Mitty as expected Friday, over-matched Pinewood competed very well, especially in the second half when they handled the Mitty full-court pressure with patience and efficiency. Now, with ten losses, where does the NorCal seeding committee place them? Which division? Maybe Division I? No lower than Division II?
I will help you on this one. The 3rd seed in CCS open and the second place finisher in CCS open they will be a top 7 seed in D1. 4 to 7 is my guess. They have to balance the brackets with teams from different sections. Pinewood is a lock for a top 7 seed and the highest ranked CCS team in D1.

I will help you on this one. The 3rd seed in CCS open and the second place finisher in CCS open they will be a top 7 seed in D1. 4 to 7 is my guess. They have to balance the brackets with teams from different sections. Pinewood is a lock for a top 7 seed and the highest ranked CCS team in D1.
Interested in your take on SHC's seeding then. Head to head obviously goes to Pinewood. Common opponent record favors SHC, if I'm not mistaken. I think pinewood gets the higher seed but if they're the highest seed and "only" gets 7, does that leave SHC without a home game? And where does that leave Paly?

Interested in your take on SHC's seeding then. Head to head obviously goes to Pinewood. Common opponent record favors SHC, if I'm not mistaken. I think pinewood gets the higher seed but if they're the highest seed and "only" gets 7, does that leave SHC without a home game? And where does that leave Paly?
Pinewood 5 to 7 seed. SHC 6 to 9. Paly 10 to 12. One more CCS will be 12 to 14.

Reactions: blex20
Antelope, Mclatchy, Vanden, Whitney, PV. 5. 5 from CCS, 6 from NCS. CB rewarded with a loss as a top seed in D2. Whitney comes up.
Where do you have Clovis West being placed? Let's keep in mind last season CW was sent north along with San Joaquin Memorial and Caruthers. The coastal teams were then sent south. To me it looks like there are multiple D1, D2 and D3 teams in this region. Tonight's West game against a good Clovis squad should clear a lot up.

Where do you have Clovis West being placed? Let's keep in mind last season CW was sent north along with San Joaquin Memorial and Caruthers. The coastal teams were then sent south. To me it looks like there are multiple D1, D2 and D3 teams in this region. Tonight's West game against a good Clovis squad should clear a lot up.
Forgot about the central section. I’ll subtract one CCS team and add Clovis to the D1 north bracket. Clovis west to the North Open. The south is much much stronger than the north so the north will take those teams. Piedmont, Mitty, Clovis west, SJS winner, Salesian, Oakland Tech. If they take 7 add Saint Mary’s or Folsom loser. 2 NCS, 2 SJS, 1 Central section, 1 Oakland, 1 CCS. Every section with representatives. I doubt they take 8 teams but I know nothing. Just guessing

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I know Max Preps is far from authoritative on such things, but here’s what its last California State rankings, as of Thursday, would suggest for Norcals (this assumes 8 rather than 6 in Open). The rankings don’t account for Thursday/Friday games like Whitney’s win over Christian Brothers or the final NCS games. And bringing up schools from the Central -- CW, Clovis, Central, Buchanan, San Joaquin -- would shake it up a lot. Again, not saying this is how I would do it, just passing on the info.

8 Open
Mitty (Won CCS)
Piedmont (Won D4 NCS)
Folsom (SJS finalist)
San Ramon Valley (2nd NCS)
St. Mary’s (SJS finalist)
Salesian (won NCS)
Cardinal Newman (3rd NCS)
Carondelet (4th in NCS)

16 D1
Pleasant Valley
Antelope
O’Dowd
Marin Catholic
Sacred Heart Cathedral
Vanden
Christian Brothers
Acalanes
Oakland Tech
McClatchy
Monte Vista
Moreau Catholic
Palo Alto
Pinewood
Heritage
Eureka

16 D2
San Marin
Colfax
Los Gatos
St. Francis Sacramento
Crystal Springs
Pinole Valley
Vista Del Lago
University
Miramonte
Whitney
Chico
California
Monterey Trail
Branham
Menlo Atherton
Woodcreek

That would be five NCS teams in the eight-team Open. Even though NCS never negotiates well at these seeding meetings, that would be an epic fail. Paul Gaddini, a long-ago NCS comissioner, wanted to win state titles, and he worked hard to get his teams in the lowest reasonable bracket. Gil Lemmon and Pat Cruickshank? Not so much, but five out of eight?

I wouldn’t understand the logic of elevating CB to D1 while keeping Whitney, which beat CB, in D2. Plus, if Foster of CB can’t go because of a bad knee, will the selection committee consider that in its seeding?

That would be five NCS teams in the eight-team Open. Even though NCS never negotiates well at these seeding meetings, that would be an epic fail. Paul Gaddini, a long-ago NCS commissioner, wanted to win state titles, and he worked hard to get his teams in the lowest reasonable bracket. Gil Lemmon and Pat Cruickshank? Not so much, but five out of eight?

Don't see it actually happening. More likely is a six team open that includes Clovis West:

Piedmont
Mitty
CW
St Mary's
Folsom
Salesian

That's two NCS, two SJS, one CCS, and one Central.

But then you get a D1 that is like an NCS family reunion with SRV, CN, Clet, Marin, O'dowd, Acalanes, Monte Vista, Moreau. Excluding any other centrals, I would say Antelope and Vanden from SJS. Pleasant Valley from Northern. O-tech. and 2-3 CCS (Pinewood, Sacred Heart and Paly).

Heritage and Eureka get bumped down to D2 which feels appropriate.

Don't see it actually happening. More likely is a six team open that includes Clovis West:

Piedmont
Mitty
CW
St Mary's
Folsom
Salesian

That's two NCS, two SJS, one CCS, and one Central.

But then you get a D1 that is like an NCS family reunion with SRV, CN, Clet, Marin, O'dowd, Acalanes, Monte Vista, Moreau. Excluding any other centrals, I would say Antelope and Vanden from SJS. Pleasant Valley from Northern. O-tech. and 2-3 CCS (Pinewood, Sacred Heart and Paly).

Heritage and Eureka get bumped down to D2 which feels appropriate.
Heritage ia a NCS open team and will be seeded above BOD, Monte Vista and Marin Catholic by rule. ZERO chance they are D2.

According to one of my twitter follows last week Oakland Tech has asked to be put into the NorCal Open. Apparently after winning multiple state titles with the senior class the coach said something about a new challenge. If true? Major props! With wins over SRV, CN, Acalanes and CLET..and losses to Salesian and SMS they will be the 6 seed IMO. If the CIF brings the Central teams north? Then throw everything out the window..lol

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHillZ
Did not know the rule about NCS Open teams. So be it. Heritage will be D1, and some other school will be the beneficiary.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT