ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Payton returns to Oakland to coach

Interesting... Never even heard of this place (It is starting athletics for the first time, that's why). School has been around for just over 100 years, has 573 students according to Wiki.

According to the above article, Payton wants to start in Division 1 right off the get-go. This should be an interesting deal... Or maybe a colossal flop considering the tininess of the school. Either way, very interesting.

Never heard of it either and Ive spent a lot of time in the bay and Oakland. Good luck with that glove. Sounds like a huge reach. Maybe d3 to start?

They currently have no athletic teams in any sport. I can see basketball having some success at D3/NAIA level early if Payton can recruit some local players, but the real head scratcher is Football. How does a school with 300 or so male students get enough football players to field a team, with no other Bay Area schools competing at the D3/D2 level? And won't Title 9 prevent Lincoln from having a football team unless they also start Women's programs in Softball, Soccer, Field Hockey, etc..?

They currently have no athletic teams in any sport. I can see basketball having some success at D3/NAIA level early if Payton can recruit some local players, but the real head scratcher is Football. How does a school with 300 or so male students get enough football players to field a team, with no other Bay Area schools competing at the D3/D2 level? And won't Title 9 prevent Lincoln from having a football team unless they also start Women's programs in Softball, Soccer, Field Hockey, etc..?

Call me crazy but it’s not going to work. Sorry.
better luck figuring out how Bitcoin trades.

Never heard of it either and Ive spent a lot of time in the bay and Oakland. Good luck with that glove. Sounds like a huge reach. Maybe d3 to start?
well that sounds like a issue with your vision. i have only been here a few years and I have passed by the school many of times. But I live downtown so maybe that is why i have seen it. There is a clear sign on the building though.

It sounds like payton is trying to garner some quick college experience so he can quickly move up to the NBA or NCAA
As an assistant coach.

Reactions: concrete17
Do they still have a team? Heard nothing the last few years and the school website hasn't posted anything current.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT