ADVERTISEMENT

Girls Cali Live 23 Schedule

Kudos to whomever pulled this field together. Some very good teams in Open, although who knows whether everyone will be around for the summer (Mitty's Woliczko, for example, may not be there).

Looks like they mixed things up so that NorCal teams aren't playing one another much. Mitty v Benson Poly should be interesting. Ditto Folsom v. Carondelet.

I lived in Oregon for 18 years, and never heard anyone call that school "Benson Poly". They either call it just Benson, or Benson Tech. Interestingly, the team nickname for the guys is "Techmen". I didn't remember if they called the girs' teams "Lady Techmen" or what, so I looked it up. They came up with "Techsters", not bad... I don't see any Benson Poly at all in Maxpreps, so the Oregon one must be what we're referring to here...

Anyway, Benson went 16-0 in league last season and 2-9 in non-league, but did give Salesian a heck of a battle (lost in OT) and played a national-level schedule outside of league. They also have been very good for the last 8 years or so. This was definitely not true when I lived up there; they were usually a total doormat. Obviously things have changed for the better!

This event is hosted by the Bay Area Basketball Coaches Association. BABCA.org and our tourney directors include Harold Abend, Buck
Matthews (Priory) and Maya Fok (SI) have worked hard to put this event together. Special shout out to Sue Phillips for being an early and loyal supporter. This is great for Girls Basketball in California. Please come out and support the event!

Coach Randy Bessolo
BABCA

I lived in Oregon for 18 years, and never heard anyone call that school "Benson Poly". They either call it just Benson, or Benson Tech. Interestingly, the team nickname for the guys is "Techmen". I didn't remember if they called the girs' teams "Lady Techmen" or what, so I looked it up. They came up with "Techsters", not bad... I don't see any Benson Poly at all in Maxpreps, so the Oregon one must be what we're referring to here...

Anyway, Benson went 16-0 in league last season and 2-9 in non-league, but did give Salesian a heck of a battle (lost in OT) and played a national-level schedule outside of league. They also have been very good for the last 8 years or so. This was definitely not true when I lived up there; they were usually a total doormat. Obviously things have changed for the better!
Yup. It's Benson Polytechnic High School from Portland.

Blame the Californian who is used to calling California Polytechnic State University "Cal Poly" rather than "Cal Tech" (which is California Institute of Technology).

Mitty v. Benson Tech lived up to the billing. Very well played game. But Mitty, even without Woliczko, won going away.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT