ADVERTISEMENT

Humboldt State Hoops

1. Too much Player A and Player B. If it was that serious stand on it and show your face and name.

2. Mental health is serious, and these players should have quit immediately and sought the help they need. Basketball is not worth your life. (Unfortunately while playing you will not get that)

3. The coach is instilling mental toughness. Anyone remember Ed Madec from Fresno City College? Same type of system and he got results.

4. You get recruited and lied to? That is your own fault, do your research! The internet is free!!

5. Looks like there will be 5 or more roster spots available for some Nor Cal kids to play D2 basketball and get a degree. Seize the opportunity men!

6. The coach might need to reel it back some. Now a days you cannot Bobby Knight the kiddos.

Ed the animal! Legend. I knew Ed as a player and he was special.
As for this stuff..not sure but a lot of kids today are pretty soft.

I am very familiar with the Cal Poly Humboldt program as an alumni, ex-player and supporter. I do no know the current coach but have heard rumblings. He wasn't there 3 months when he received a DUI. Not a good start to new job. Humboldt's record has not been good during his tenure and he brought in a lot of transfers from all over the country. I don't know of his coaching ability but if there is any truth to his practice times then he has to go immediately. Not only are the hours in violation of the NCAA rules but when the hell are these kids supposed to go to class or have time to study?? Other posters said the kids should have quit the team. They are there on scholarship and I am sure most do not have the means to pay for their tuition. This is their chance to receive a diploma and better themselves so quitting is not a viable option. This is going to set the Humboldt program back years even if a new coach is hired tomorrow but will not happen as the A.D. conveniently resigned 2 weeks ago to take job someplace in North Dakota of all places. Tough to hire a new coach without an A.D.

I am very familiar with the Cal Poly Humboldt program as an alumni, ex-player and supporter. I do no know the current coach but have heard rumblings. He wasn't there 3 months when he received a DUI. Not a good start to new job. Humboldt's record has not been good during his tenure and he brought in a lot of transfers from all over the country. I don't know of his coaching ability but if there is any truth to his practice times then he has to go immediately. Not only are the hours in violation of the NCAA rules but when the hell are these kids supposed to go to class or have time to study?? Other posters said the kids should have quit the team. They are there on scholarship and I am sure most do not have the means to pay for their tuition. This is their chance to receive a diploma and better themselves so quitting is not a viable option. This is going to set the Humboldt program back years even if a new coach is hired tomorrow but will not happen as the A.D. conveniently resigned 2 weeks ago to take job someplace in North Dakota of all places. Tough to hire a new coach without an A.D.
Thanks for the background. With the investment and rebranding going on this would be a great job for a young coach to build on. Humboldt has a great facility and support from the community. I remember playing in the old gym, Talk about a cracker jack box.

The new AD will have his /her work cut out.

Reactions: observer22
humbolt and north dakota are pretty much the same. lollllll
the school would honor the scholarship throughout the semester.

This is the latest article on the Cal Poly Humboldt program. If 1/4 of this is true, the coach SHOULD be canned by 5pm

Most of the time you read these things and it’s sour grapes. I didn’t play enough… blah… but these are mainly human decency issues. Not good. Sounds like the exact opposite of the sort of leader you want.

Most of the time you read these things and it’s sour grapes. I didn’t play enough… blah… but these are mainly human decency issues. Not good. Sounds like the exact opposite of the sort of leader you want.
This is coming from almost half the team so you have to believe where there is smoke there is fire (or a hookah)

This is coming from almost half the team so you have to believe where there is smoke there is fire (or a hookah)
was he a tough coach? sure, but if they dont wanna say their names then its hard to believe. i mean if it was THIS bad you need to let the truth out fully. stand on it.

If the hookah thing is true that is grounds for termination. Who does that? Players are emberrassed by coach.
Wonder what suites be is staying at? Because Humboldt is staying at Holiday inn express or Best Western so coach is getting upgraded to courtyard by Marriott.

They fired him yesterday and will start a national search. Good luck with that at this late date.
it is a step up in pay for plenty. they will have tons of applicants i am sure.
but better get a soft coach next time. aint no dogs in humbolt

They fired him yesterday and will start a national search. Good luck with that at this late date.
Sounds like somebody on here was in the know. Still a good job for the right person. Humboldt has a really nice facility and the transformation to “cal poly” will enhance the brand. They’ve had a good history of success so I hope to see the program bounce back. (I’m sure it will)

Reactions: bearphan
This is a really solid DII program that is well supported in the community up there - nice opportunity for the right guy.

Reactions: larry legend33
This is a really solid DII program that is well supported in the community up there - nice opportunity for the right guy.
Couldn’t agree more. You might need a more mature figure to steer it back on track and then handoff.

Until they find an AD no coach will want to go there. The AD is the boss and hiring a coach first makes the new coach a lame duck before he even has his first practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT