ADVERTISEMENT

Inderkum/Oakdale winner to NorCal Bowl

mustang1970

Superstar
Nov 19, 2003
I have yet to see a convincing argument for picking Enterprise over the Inderkum/Oakdale winner. For a full analysis
feel free to go to Facebook and look up Guy Lilly post. Right now I just want to address today's article claiming the two
Tri-County victories by Pleasant Valley (who Enterprise beat) is a major factor in support of Enterprise. Yuba City and River Valley are competitive teams but not something to "hang your hat on". I will use one fact to put this to rest hopefully, though
there are others, including 5-6 and 6-5 records. Rio Linda beat Yuba City. Indy and Oakdale both demolished Rio Linda.
Feel free to check out Calpreps Freeman Report for comparison data.

I dont see anything that makes Inderkum or Oakdale convincingly better. In all honesty when I look at things I dont know what makes cvc or Concord better then anyone else either. My honest opinion is that they all play about the same level of football and you can make a case for any of these teams. The argument I would present is that Enterprise is the defending norcal d2 champ, has the best loss off any team to a larger division Vacaville on the road early in the season, and are a three time defending section champion.

I forgot to add info about Oakdale's
victory over Turlock that won't really
show in computer ratings. Turlock lost
10-7 to highly rated Merced and by
s total of 4 points in 2 games against
Tracy, who is still alive in playoffs. Also,
St. Mary's barely got by Central Catholic,
a team Oakdale trounced. I know a loss
is a loss but in a decision this close more
data the better. Inderkum fans don't
forget to weigh in on with your opinions.

The mention of Peasant Valley's wins was used as a comparison showing the strength of two leagues. Does it paint the whole picture of those leagues or the entire schedule? No. However, you can't ignore it.

And using the opponents' opponents argument can be tricky. For Enterprise, they lost to Vacaville which was eliminated by Grant. Grant has been No. 3 in NorCal the whole year. However, that is a weak leg to stand on just like the argument using Turlock being eliminated by Tracy.

I think this is the toughest decision on the board come Sunday.

I totally agree with you, I would not be shocked to see enterprise selected and I would not be shocked to see them left out. But truthfully if these teams are really that close my opinion would be to go with the defending champ, I would whole heartily believe that no matter who it is.

Clayton Valley has by far played the toughest schedule of the four - Tracy (Beat Jesuit, Beat Granite Bay), Napa (who beat Vacaville), Cardinal Newman, Carson (who just narrowly lost in their Regional Final game), and Concord.

I have no problem with you guys supporting Enterprise, but their Section had a down year compared to Sac-Joaquin Section.

Personally believe it will be winner of CV/Concord vs. winner of Inderkum/Oakdale.

The other angle is if Sutter goes D3, would they give the Northern Section a second team?

Flipping it, if Bellarmine/Sacred Heart Prep get picked over St. Mary's, do they give up a SJS team in D2? If Grant wins on Friday, the D1 game is an easy pick.

You are correct when it comes to cvc but what about concord? They have played a very similar schedule to everyone else it seems like. And believe it or not Enterprises Division was better this year than last years.

FAR_NORTHERN posted on 12/3/2014...
But truthfully if these teams are really that close my opinion would be to go with the defending champ, I would whole heartily believe that no matter who it is.

This, I disagree with Far_Northern. Why just give a team the bid because they played in the SCG. It's not like they won it. I would be totally with you if they were going to be defending their State title but that's not the case here. Why not give another team a chance at winning or get a taste of going. Isn't that what this thing is all about at the end of the day??? Now I see it like this which is a very fair assessment. If Indy beats Oakdale those kids from that community should get an opportunity to rep Nor-Cal for a change. Now if Oakdale beats Indy than the board has to make a decision on who is actually the best team to send. But if Indy wins out, those players, coaches and fans should be given an opportunity to represent their part of the State of California.. It's only fair...

This post was edited on 12/3 4:19 PM by PGownsWHITNEY

I agree with you, Concord would only get in on the strength of beating Clayton Valley. They put together a cream puff schedule. The question is - is that victory over Clayton Valley stronger than Enterprise's victories against Pleasant Valley. I would say yes.

But if Clayton Valley loses.......it opens the door to a very tough decision.

Yeah I agree with you there on all counts. I think that would make things even more unpredictable than they are now.

Well im not saying give it to them just because they were north champs, more of that if its a crap shoot on who the better team is then I think that becomes a feather in the cap for Enterprise. Now to the point of Indy getting a crack hey I cant say I disagree and would not be upset if they were picked over Enterprise. However if its about who the best team is and thats it, then in my opinion its not a clear choice and I think Enterprise has as good of case as anyone other than CVC.

We all know Enterprise is a solid team, but the winner of the Inderkum v. Oakdale game will have a benchmark win the Hornets simply don't have.

Originally posted by Streak One:
The other angle is if Sutter goes D3, would they give the Northern Section a second team?

Flipping it, if Bellarmine/Sacred Heart Prep get picked over St. Mary's, do they give up a SJS team in D2? If Grant wins on Friday, the D1 game is an easy pick.
Just curious where in the SBG by laws is it that certain sections have to be represented. Or only a certain number of teams from a section are eligible each year (ie. since section "X" has 2 teams selected already they can't have anymore! I've seen it posted several times, but have seen no guideline.

Bella - there is no such criteria like that. It's just that everyone realizes how back room politics work. Since each of these section commissioners are voting on who participates in these games, they lobby for their own teams and you end up with a "I'll vote for your team in this division if you vote for mine in that division" type of thing. Conventional wisdom is, since the person(s) representing the CCS will be voting for some SJS, NCS, or NS teams, they will push hard for at least one of their teams to be represented.

But there is nothing that says all sections must be represented. It's supposed to be about selecting the very best teams. It just doesn't always work out that way.

This post was edited on 12/4 8:48 AM by ThunderRam

Thunder,

C'con I know, it was a little tongue and cheeck on the whole "selection" process of determing the best teams in a board room. I do get a kick out of some of the theories out there (you still here "A CCS team will get in cause in 08' the committee screwed Bellarmine lol)!

Be nice if the politics could be removed, and statistical formula would create the selections based on record, strength of schedule, and so on. Anytime you can removed the people element which always introduces bias, the better for the teams that are most deserving.

here is an interesting blog about d2, was done by a Redding reporter but is actually very unbiased and is basically just reporting facts and data about all teams.. worth a look...

http://tholmes.blogs.redding.com/2014/12/enterprise-bowl-game-possibilities/

Here's a link to the report.

Far_Northern, do we really want to send a team to the State game that can't compete with the likes of Chaminade or any other team that comes out of that bracket? I mean Enterprise was out matched in every phase of the game last year. I really don't want to see a team that has no chance of competing against the So-Cal representative. Enterprise was losing at one point 33-3 in the third quarter to Chaminade and eventually lost 41-9. I see it this way, if Indy beats Oakdale tonight I believe they should be allowed to play for the State berth not Enterprise which showed us that they are over matched in that game.

This post was edited on 12/5 7:35 AM by PGownsWHITNEY

Redding reporter

PG - to your point, Enterprise's 2013 team is viewed by some as a better team than their current version. To be fair, the same thing happened to Oakdale when they represented a couple years ago.

If they beat Oakdale, I'd like to see Inderkum go since the other 2 already had an opportunity and I think Inderkum's speed may match up better with whomever the SoCal opponent will be (should they get past their NorCal Regional opponent).
This post was edited on 12/5 11:33 AM by ThunderRam

Ok ill start with the fact that chaminade and serra and oceanside and helix are all no longer d2 state teams which I dont know forsure but those were all south sbg winners of the d2 game. Enterprise was outmatched in pretty much one category, the qb position. They lost the turnover battle plain and simple. The score was also 3-3 at the end of the first before the qb imploded...not the team. Lets also consider Chaminade was a top 10 nationally ranked team that knocked off a top 5 nationaly ranked team to get there. That said who out of the north other than dls or folsom would have done better than enterprise you tell me?

Originally posted by FAR_NORTHERN:

That said who out of the north other than dls or folsom would have done better than enterprise you tell me?
Serra, Elk Grove, Grant, Bellarmine and many more.

In regards to teams that could have qualified for the D2, not many - if any. Perhaps Miramonte or Casa Grande, but that's arguable.

The main point still holds, the South's D2 qualifiers are generally a bad matchup for anyone the North can send.

ThunderRam posted on 12/5/2014...

That said who out of the north other than dls or folsom would have done better than enterprise you tell me?
Serra, Elk Grove, Grant, Bellarmine and many more.

In regards to teams that could have qualified for the D2, not many - if any. Perhaps Miramonte or Casa Grande, but that's arguable.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

The main point still holds, the South's D2 qualifiers are generally a bad matchup for anyone the North can send.

And I believe Enterprise is a helluva squad but as Thunder posted, the NorCal D2 qualifiers are a bad matchup. And that goes for Indy as well but I would rather see another team get an opportunity instead of beating a dead horse with the same team.

This post was edited on 12/5 8:45 PM by PGownsWHITNEY

That is a reasonable point, that last post just sounded alot more of an Enterprise bash tho pg. Im telling you right now that the d2 field down south is not what it used to be... im watching the top d2 teams on tv right now and im confident in whoever went out of oakdale, indy, cvc, or enterprise would do just fine. So what if oakdale wins... do you still feel the same that they should get a crack at cvc?

That is a reasonable point, that last post just sounded alot more of an Enterprise bash tho pg. Im telling you right now that the d2 field down south is not what it used to be... im watching the top d2 teams on tv right now and im confident in whoever went out of oakdale, indy, cvc, or enterprise would do just fine. So what if oakdale wins... do you still feel the same that they should get a crack at cvc?
I hope you are correct in regards to the D2 field from SoCal. Ever since changes were made limiting which divisions from the North could qualify for the D2 State Bowl game, the South has had a decided advantage in that game. Back in 2009 and 2010, Rocklin and Folsom played in that game after winning SJS D2. Now SJS D3 and NS D2 are among the few that can qualify for that game.

In regards to Oakdale, they had a shot at the SBG the year before Enterprise did and lost in similar fashion. That's why I'd like to see Inderkum win and get their shot.

However, if Oakdale beats Indy, I'd lean toward Enterprise representing in the Regional again. They are rated/ranked higher and I think they'd beat Oakdale if they played - although it came down to a 2-pt conversion last season.

Also, regarding last year's Enterprise game against Oakdale they played an Oakdale team that lost 4 games including one to
a team that had a 3.9 freeman rating. Yet Enterprise barely made it out of town. This year's team is more well rounded and
consistent. Must say that Sierra game was a loss to a very good team, regardless of division. We also beat a Turlock team
that lost to Tracy twice but only by 4 points total. We demolished a Central Catholic team that only lost to St. Mary's by 5.
Losses I know but shows quality of competition.
Now as to Enterprise being rated higher by websites, at this moment that is true. A victory tonight would jump their Freeman
rating to almost equal if not equal. Maxpreps bowl rating done by Northern reporter had Enterprise higher. Maxprep Northern
California ranking done by Joe Davidson had Oakdale at 18 and Enterprise at 19 and Enterprise at 22.
Also, victory tonight (though it will be a tough game) would leave this data:
Teams played with rating of 15-20
Enterprise-1
Oakdale-2
Teams played with rating of 20-30
Enterprise-5
Oakdale-5
Teams played with rating of above 30:
Enterprise-1
Oakdale-2
Oakdale's games were spread out over many teams. 4 of Enterprise games were against 2 teams. Paradise is nothing to
brag about.
Finally, win-loss totals of opponents of both teams:
Enterprise opponents 71-65
Oakdale opponents 98-62

The creation of sds open has taken oceanside and helix and cathedral out of the mix and the mission league (serra, chaminade. bishop amat) was added to the ss pac 5. The top rated team was san clemente who was beat last night, the next two were redlands east valley and riverside poly, dont know who won but they played eachother. We should be back to an even playing field this year in d2 but we will see in a few weeks. I think its gonna be an interesting sunday tomorrow to see what direction the committee goes, each division has a clear favorite but after that i have a feeling the teams they play across all divisions will be very much related to one and other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT