ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to allow high school coaches to recruit?

LecheDeMiPalo

Sports Fanatic
Dec 28, 2010
Let’s be honest here. It happens behind the scenes. Coaches will never admit it but those within the inner circle know it goes on. And the privates, who do not have recruiting boundaries and are in many cases backed by the Archdiocese, are walking away with the vast majority of the talent by a large margin.

It begs the question whether it is time to start openly allowing all coaches to recruit (or market themselves and their programs) to some extent? I’m not suggesting turning this thing into the Wild West. But simply allow coaches to talk to parents and players, pitch their programs and familiarize themselves with one another within district boundaries.

The reality of the matter is that neither the sections nor the CIF is able to control what currently goes on. So perhaps level the playing field by easing some of the rules that many are getting away with breaking.

Also depends on how you defines recruiting. The "hey you should look at my school!" will probably never end. However, the overt act of actively persuading and taking additional steps for kids to come to your school shouldn't be legal in high school sports. High school isn't college or the pros. I still hate that we've got to that point with some of the schools in SoCal.

Reactions: concrete17
ptyfquick3. Welcome back.
Does your Folsom avatar mean that the post season therapy session paid off?
......any way good to see you 👀
Hey brother! Good to see you as well. Post season therapy has been good to me. Still rationalizing that big win over DLS in the playoffs. My therapist has never been happier!

Increase coach stipends and football budgets.

Level the playing field from a coaching & facilities standpoint first, then create more development opportunities for coaches and players.

Level the playing field from a coaching & facilities standpoint first, then create more development opportunities for coaches and players.
I like it. But easier said than done.

How does that even the playing field and correct the issues with the rule from a CIF perspective though? That sounds like the CIF pushing their problem over to the schools and districts.

Reactions: aztecpadre
How does that even the playing field and correct the issues with the rule from a CIF perspective though? That sounds like the CIF pushing their problem over to the schools and districts.
Agreed. That would probably just increase the disparity between the have's and have not's

No. Recruiting will just give the impression sports are more important than the education. May be true for some, but it shouldn't be promoted.

If the fact that sports are important is true for some, why shouldn't it be promoted?

If a student goes on to be a doctor or a lawyer he/she will be able to feed their families for years to come. Same can be said for a pro athlete, so why should one be promoted and not the other?

High School should prepare young people for life and employment. High school athletics is a part of that process and I know most students will never play pro sports but I also know most students won't be a Doctor or Lawyer either, so should we stop promoting those jobs as well?

If the fact that sports are important is true for some, why shouldn't it be promoted?

If a student goes on to be a doctor or a lawyer he/she will be able to feed their families for years to come. Same can be said for a pro athlete, so why should one be promoted and not the other?

High School should prepare young people for life and employment. High school athletics is a part of that process and I know most students will never play pro sports but I also know most students won't be a Doctor or Lawyer either, so should we stop promoting those jobs as well?
Interesting take. Didn’t think of it that way but I can understand perspectives.

The fallacy of this argument is the word "most."
0.08 % of HS FB players will be drafted.

In the Bay, you can bet the MDs, JDs, DVMs, DDS', PhDs are a hundred times that...

IMO, watching EB FB for a decade the ones that get drafted would've ended up there NO MATTER their HS, socio-economic background or even coaching.

Now, the ones that get a college offer? That's a different question.

BTW what good is being drafted to the Not For Long league when after the second round there's a huge drop off of retention after two years? One doesn't put bread on the table for a lifetime with those...

In the Bay, you can bet the MDs, JDs, DVMs, DDS', PhDs are a hundred times that...

IMO, watching EB FB for a decade the ones that get drafted would've ended up there NO MATTER their HS, socio-economic background or even coaching.

BTW what good is being drafted to the Not For Long league when after the second round there's a huge drop off of retention after two years? One doesn't put bread on the table for a lifetime with those...

Tell that to kids that are trying to be the next Lynn Swann, Marshawn Lynch, Tom Brady, O.J Simpson, David Bakhtiari, or Davante Adams. All of which are from the bay area and all have had fantastic NFL careers.

Reactions: MC415
Tell that to kids that are trying to be the next Lynn Swann, Marshawn Lynch, Tom Brady, O.J Simpson, David Bakhtiari, or Davante Adams. All of which are from the bay area and all have had fantastic NFL careers.
As I've said, on this board for the last decade: put all your eggs in one basket and get ready for disappointment. There could be at least 50 more names one could add to your list who had legit pro careers...and ten thousand who had D1 college PT with zero income from FB.

It is simple mathematics. The names mentioned are outliers. The kids "trying" to be the next Tom Brady et al are actually the parents who are pushing those buttons. That's not to say some kids, call them borderline bonafides as far as abilities to go pro, DO get a paycheck. Been there done that. The kid matures, becomes an adult seeking a meaningful (and reasonable income producing) career and realizes the "opportunity" way back when was a pipe dream.

Yet have seen time and time again where Mommy or Daddy "think" junior is going to end up financing their retirement and all the $ spent on private lessons or the marquis HS program gaining exposure, and they end up in an Enterprise car commercial, or singing in a honky-tonk in Nashville.

Does anybody agree that being more highly educated is the end all here?

As I've said, on this board for the last decade: put all your eggs in one basket and get ready for disappointment. There could be at least 50 more names one could add to your list who had legit pro careers...and ten thousand who had D1 college PT with zero income from FB.

It is simple mathematics. The names mentioned are outliers. The kids "trying" to be the next Tom Brady et al are actually the parents who are pushing those buttons. That's not to say some kids, call them borderline bonafides as far as abilities to go pro, DO get a paycheck. Been there done that. The kid matures, becomes an adult seeking a meaningful (and reasonable income producing) career and realizes the "opportunity" way back when was a pipe dream.

Yet have seen time and time again where Mommy or Daddy "think" junior is going to end up financing their retirement and all the $ spent on private lessons or the marquis HS program gaining exposure, and they end up in an Enterprise car commercial, or singing in a honky-tonk in Nashville.

Does anybody agree that being more highly educated is the end all here?

Of course it is important to get an education, this is why the football program is connected to the academic program.

I am just pointing out that they (football & academics) are equally important to the development of young people. Young people learn things in football that they would never learn in a classroom and these lessons can also be applied to their career.

I notice when football is being discussed it almost seems like an either/or in regards to academics. I don't see why schools wouldn't focus and invest in both football & academics equally?

I bet the top football schools in California like Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, DLS, and Serra send kids to college that other schools wouldn't even be able to engage academically (so they wouldn't be going to college) without the schools commitment to football.

Of course it is important to get an education, this is why the football program is connected to the academic program.

I am just pointing out that they (football & academics) are equally important to the development of young people. Young people learn things in football that they would never learn in a classroom and these lessons can also be applied to their career.

I notice when football is being discussed it almost seems like an either/or in regards to academics. I don't see why schools wouldn't focus and invest in both football & academics equally?

I bet the top football schools in California like Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, DLS, and Serra send kids to college that other schools wouldn't even be able to engage academically (so they wouldn't be going to college) without the schools commitment to football.
This is just an incredibly unrealistic take. I highly value high school football and believe that extra-curriculars are essential to a well-rounded academic experience. However, there is simply no way, shape, or form to state that they are all equal to the value of the essential academic education. There is an undeterminable number of children throughout America who play no sports, engage in no extra-curricular activities, who then succeed in their academic endeavors and go on to productive lives. To suggest that any sport is equal to the value of that education for the general population is kind of missing the point of school.

Full disclosure: I have coached a dozen years of high school football and have been directly involved in the sport most of my life. My son also played, and lettered in Volleyball, as well. My daughter earned eight varsity letters while in high school, one of only two students in her graduating class to do so. My wife was on the tennis team in high school, though I'm not really sure how much she cared about it. That being said, the ENTIRE family will tell you that the actual education received in high school was more important for future success than those extra-curricular activities. Obviously, those activities have value, just NOT EQUAL value.

Who says you have to be drafted to make it in sports? On the flip side having a PHD doesn’t guarantee success either. In fact as a society we have never had more higher educated people per capita than now, but one could argue we have never been dumber as a society. I mean think about it higher education has us questioning what was once common knowledge and backEd by science. Things like what a woman is. Academic’s are destroying the merit based system which is giving us very average unaccomplished people in very important positions all across society. Nothing has highlighted these thing more than the last few years and Covid, it was basically a giant IQ and common sense test. And in many cases we failed as a society.

After giving this much thought I realize how Colleges recruit players from high school and how NFL teams draft players from college. How exactly does a high school team RECRUIT players to play for their programs and why is it a problem?

Are they scouting players from other high school teams and sending their parents emails? Since middle schools don't have tackle football are these coaches talking to parents at peewee football games? What is high school recruiting and what's the issue?

I think schools like MD & SJB attract enough kids that want to play football with the logo on the helmet. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: RedZone90
After giving this much thought I realize how Colleges recruit players from high school and how NFL teams draft players from college. How exactly does a high school team RECRUIT players to play for their programs and why is it a problem?

Are they scouting players from other high school teams and sending their parents emails? Since middle schools don't have tackle football are these coaches talking to parents at peewee football games? What is high school recruiting and what's the issue?

I think schools like MD & SJB attract enough kids that want to play football with the logo on the helmet. Nothing more, nothing less.
Coaches are really involved down here with the youth programs. Many of the assistant coaches are involved with 7on7 or other youth programs. They have close connections to with the qb trainers and training facilities like WCA, Stars, platinum, and probably Legendary Athletics.

The coaches mostly talk to the parents when they recruit. Just like colleges, many of these high schools have camps and an open house where the family can visit. The parent ultimately makes the decision and signs the paperwork. Kids mostly go off prestige of the program and/or how they like the coach and program; whether they are a good fit for the system the coach runs. Not uncommon to have junior high kids from the IE Ducks or OC Buckeyes having a top 4 on instagram with both private and public schools listed.

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
Coaches are really involved down here with the youth programs. Many of the assistant coaches are involved with 7on7 or other youth programs. They have close connections to with the qb trainers and training facilities like WCA, Stars, platinum, and probably Legendary Athletics.

The coaches mostly talk to the parents when they recruit. Just like colleges, many of these high schools have camps and an open house where the family can visit. The parent ultimately makes the decision and signs the paperwork. Kids mostly go off prestige of the program and/or how they like the coach and program; whether they are a good fit for the system the coach runs. Not uncommon to have junior high kids from the IE Ducks or OC Buckeyes having a top 4 on instagram with both private and public schools listed.

In the bay area a lot of high school coaches also coach club teams (Volley Ball/Soccer/Lacrosse/Baseball/Water Polo) so I assume it's the same thing? Let's say a private high school coach talks to a players family and offer's the family full financial aide, would this be considered recruiting? Public schools that have kids use a different address within the schools boundaries so that they can get the kid into the school is a huge problem dating back to as far as I can remember. However, many non-sports students used different addresses in order to gain access to better education.

I think recruiting for sports and offering high school students a better environment with better education is two different things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT