ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to start capping roster / program sizes?

LecheDeMiPalo

Sports Fanatic
Dec 28, 2010
Public school football is dying in many places.

Im at the Serra / Saint Francis game this evening with my kids when my son starts innocently counting helmets on the sideline. In both cases, he counted beyond the mid 50s. This did not include the boys on the field tonight nor the (hopefully) small number of boys who were out with injuries.

With turnout low in places like San Jose, San Francisco and many small cities and towns in between, the question is whether or not it is time to start capping team and program roster sizes and not just at the schools with no enrollment boundaries (*cough* *cough* privates *cough* *cough*) but at schools that only recruit…I mean ADMIT students from within their own geographical boundaries.

I personally do not see a reason as to why any high school would need a roster larger than that of an NFL franchise. In fact, I feel as if there is no need for any more than 53 combined within all levels of a program below varsity football. That means that whether you choose to have a JV program or Freshman and Sophomore Football, the combination of those “sub-varsity” teams should not add up to a sum greater than 53.

In turn, I feel this would assist some of the areas struggling to field teams populate their rosters without really affecting the cream of the crop schools who would still hold the leverage to keep those kids they feel give their program the best chance to win football games while disposing those they didn’t feel as strongly about back to their assigned schools.

As for those kids who do not cut it at the school they are zoned to, the State of California begun allowing athletically motivated transfers years ago.

thoughts on this idea?

Better programs will naturally attract more kids. It would also seem more parents are gravitating towards private schools even if they are not religious, teachers unions and ideology are a major turn off for many.

That’s quite an anti-free market philosophy. If kids did transfer as a result, that’s a big tuition loss for private schools.

However, those kids wouldn’t automatically want to play for a public school that is barely hanging on. A lot of kids want to be part of a big, successful program.

53 players is also a very low number for frosh and jv combined. I know some programs make it work, and good for them, but that’s 26-27 per team.

Overall, I think any sort of roster cap would lead to less kids playing football.

I went to the Monte Vista vs Campo game last night and I couldn’t believe how small a roster MV had! Around 30! With such a rich history…. 44, Sam Broughton was a beast! JV looked pretty good.

Better programs will naturally attract more kids. It would also seem more parents are gravitating towards private schools even if they are not religious, teachers unions and ideology are a major turn off for many.
In my area, where everyone is generally moving, public schools DOMINATE. Private schools generally don't do well with enrollment and its rare for kids in my area to attend private school.

Parents spend more time jockeying for trying to get into different PUBLIC schools than anything. Bay Area is an anomoly.

san jose and san francisco.... the demographics.. it isnt that hard to figure out. good in math and table tennis, not too many fast corners or dominate linemen.

I went to the Monte Vista vs Campo game last night and I couldn’t believe how small a roster MV had! Around 30! With such a rich history…. 44, Sam Broughton was a beast! JV looked pretty good.

exactly. All while a kind from Danville who is zoned to Monte Vista is currently a starting QB for a WCAL school. Not saying he is the type of kid who would end up at his home school but you can only imagine how many kids at privates are being bussed all over the Bay Area.

53 players is also a very low number for frosh and jv combined. I know some programs make it work, and good for them, but that’s 26-27 per team.

that’s where you’ve got to decide whether you value two levels of developmental football over a large roster. If it’s truly developmental rather than an place to stash talent, a roster of 26-27 is more than sufficient and allows for players to earn more playing time and practice reps. If they have any question how to make it work, they can call Coach Keith Holden at Half Moon Bay. That man makes it consistently happen with rosters below 30.

Not many places. The Bay Area and area in SoCal.

Public schools DOMINATE private schools in the Sacramento metro area. They are flourishing and fielding HUGE teams.

In most other states, somet thing. Public domination.

All about context.

Reactions: coachlittle
exactly. All while a kind from Danville who is zoned to Monte Vista is currently a starting QB for a WCAL school. Not saying he is the type of kid who would end up at his home school but you can only imagine how many kids at privates are being bussed all over the Bay Area.
Isn't this the kid who started out at that Concord school in the summer then switched? That's a huge about-face and historically unheard of. I wonder what compelled him to change.

Im at the Serra / Saint Francis game this evening with my kids when my son starts innocently counting helmets on the sideline. In both cases, he counted beyond the mid 50s. This did not include the boys on the field tonight nor the (hopefully) small number of boys who were out with injuries.

With turnout low in places like San Jose, San Francisco and many small cities and towns in between, the question is whether or not it is time to start capping team and program roster sizes and not just at the schools with no enrollment boundaries (*cough* *cough* privates *cough* *cough*) but at schools that only recruit…I mean ADMIT students from within their own geographical boundaries.

I personally do not see a reason as to why any high school would need a roster larger than that of an NFL franchise. In fact, I feel as if there is no need for any more than 53 combined within all levels of a program below varsity football. That means that whether you choose to have a JV program or Freshman and Sophomore Football, the combination of those “sub-varsity” teams should not add up to a sum greater than 53.

In turn, I feel this would assist some of the areas struggling to field teams populate their rosters without really affecting the cream of the crop schools who would still hold the leverage to keep those kids they feel give their program the best chance to win football games while disposing those they didn’t feel as strongly about back to their assigned schools.

As for those kids who do not cut it at the school they are zoned to, the State of California begun allowing athletically motivated transfers years ago.

thoughts on this idea?
Ridiculous. Would NEVER happen anywhere.

Isn't this the kid who started out at that Concord school in the summer then switched? That's a huge about-face and historically unheard of. I wonder what compelled him to change.

Probably the fact that he wanted to be in an offense and play for a coach who would better showcase his ability to throw. Ravipati was just coaching QBs at CSM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT