ADVERTISEMENT

Jamari to Az compass.

vukovich

Sports Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
Well there was back and forth on the board the last month about whether he was staying or going. He is officially gone to Arizona.

Reactions: M.C. fan
Jamari wanted to play with his buddy at Arizona Prep and it makes sense. He will be in Arizona and onto his next step. Great young man and will be missed. I feel with diversity comes strength. Circumstances can be evaluated, but for now all the very best to Jamari.

Was no back and forth . Was everybody saying I was wrong . Well curious to hear the comments now. Now the speculation comes to where M Itete ends up. Believe he hasn’t played since corona game and went with Jamari to Arizona while the team was in Oregon .

Was no back and forth . Was everybody saying I was wrong . Well curious to hear the comments now. Now the speculation comes to where M Itete ends up. Believe he hasn’t played since corona game and went with Jamari to Arizona while the team was in Oregon .
Good info on that one, H.E.A.T.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT

You nailed it ! My apologies amigo! Another mercenary lost RIP

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Jamari wanted to play with his buddy at Arizona Prep and it makes sense. He will be in Arizona and onto his next step. Great young man and will be missed. I feel with diversity comes strength. Circumstances can be evaluated, but for now all the very best to Jamari.

Yeah makes total sense to leave your team 40% thru the year to hangout with your buddy…..because you couldn’t have made that same choice before the season started and not left your other 11 other buddies hanging out to dry

Yeah makes total sense to leave your team 40% thru the year to hangout with your buddy…..because you couldn’t have made that same choice before the season started and not left your other 11 other buddies hanging out to dry
Do I like it, no. I will let the cards fall where they will fall. I just would rather wish him well, perhaps should have just left it at that.

Pretty weak but these are the times. It’s about me and I.
Who knows maybe the chemistry change works in MC favor. Although the best team at Modesto looks to be Clovis West.

Pretty weak but these are the times. It’s about me and I.
Who knows maybe the chemistry change works in MC favor. Although the best team at Modesto looks to be Clovis West.
We have plenty of talent and it being early on should allow for growth. Clovis West is very good!

The Wire Reaction GIF

I’ve been saying it for years but now I think it’s about time for California to consider establishing European style basketball/football academies. Similar to the European Basketball and Soccer club sports.

The college bound kids need to play club style basketball and football, where they receive top notch training (Skills/weights/cardio/nutrition) and compete against stiffer competition. This will help their development and improve West Coast collegiate sports.

It makes sense to form Basketball and Football Academies/Schools throughout the state and Coast….

Cities like Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose, Fresno, San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Inland Empire, Orange County, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Denver, and Salt Lake City, etc. can establish Clubs/Academies similar to what they have in Europe for soccer and basketball. This would allow college bound kids the opportunity to train year around and play against the best competition possible.

It wouldn’t disrupt the HS sports scene, it would just be a much needed alternative for kids that want to play at a higher level.

I mean a 6’6 330 pound offensive lineman heading to USC has no business lining up against an 180 pound defensive tackle. Or a 6’4 point guard heading to Arizona has no business playing a whole season against kids who wouldn’t even make a bad junior college team.

The skill development of the NorCal kids is severely lacking. The kids aren’t playing enough quality basketball and few kids are getting quality specialized training.

Reactions: mansnothot
I’ve been saying it for years but now I think it’s about time for California to consider establishing European style basketball/football academies. Similar to the European Basketball and Soccer club sports.

The college bound kids need to play club style basketball and football, where they receive top notch training (Skills/weights/cardio/nutrition) and compete against stiffer competition. This will help their development and improve West Coast collegiate sports.

It makes sense to form Basketball and Football Academies/Schools throughout the state and Coast….

Cities like Sacramento, Oakland, San Jose, Fresno, San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Inland Empire, Orange County, Phoenix, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas, Denver, and Salt Lake City, etc. can establish Clubs/Academies similar to what they have in Europe for soccer and basketball. This would allow college bound kids the opportunity to train year around and play against the best competition possible.

It wouldn’t disrupt the HS sports scene, it would just be a much needed alternative for kids that want to play at a higher level.

I mean a 6’6 330 pound offensive lineman heading to USC has no business lining up against an 180 pound defensive tackle. Or a 6’4 point guard heading to Arizona has no business playing a whole season against kids who wouldn’t even make a bad junior college team.

The skill development of the NorCal kids is severely lacking. The kids aren’t playing enough quality basketball and few kids are getting quality specialized training.
they already have academy schools in the west. watasch, southern cal acadamy, dream city, az compass, or did you mean in nor cal if so they have ponderosa, jesuit and folsom who can beat anyone

I do have an idea that HS sports in general, not just CA, will eventually go toward that European club-sports level, eventually...

Kylan Boswell left Corona Centennial to play for AZ Compass Prep. The #29 prospect in the 2022 class, he should be well prepared for his freshman year at Arizona right? His freshman stats so far, 2.0 ppg 1.3 rebs 1.8 assists 29.6% FG. Would he be any better if he stayed at Corona? Who knows. But he would have played for a state championship with his friends, and would have got another year of coaching from Josh Giles, one of the best coaches in the state. Players need good coaching more than endless skill sessions and playing glorified AAU ball in the winter. I think there's a severe lack of on court discipline and understanding of how the game is played.

All the best to Jamari. I really hope he does well. He's a talented young man, who really impressed his first two years of prep ball. As far as MC is concerned, if they can get all that talent on the sideline back on the court, and get them to jell by the end of league, I think they have a serious shot at making it back to the state championship. BJ Davis plays with fire. I really like that kid. Kodey Weary impressed me the times I've seen him play. Could give MC a real boost in the post. Rashod Cotton is a kid to look out for the next four years. Been quite impressive as well.

they already have academy schools in the west. watasch, southern cal acadamy, dream city, az compass, or did you mean in nor cal if so they have ponderosa, jesuit and folsom who can beat anyone
True there are a few Academies but I think this option is going to have to become mainstream for college prospects, having presence in every major metro area.

I’ve seen Ponderosa, Jesuit, and Folsom this season. They are not Academy level programs. They fit perfect in the CIF-SJS.

I do have an idea that HS sports in general, not just CA, will eventually go toward that European club-sports level, eventually...
Indeed! It’s long overdue. I think you could still have both options. Like they offer for soccer. As the majority of kids would be fine playing on their HS teams.

I know hundreds of young men (past, future, and present) that would benefit from this type of system.

True there are a few Academies but I think this option is going to have to become mainstream for college prospects, having presence in every major metro area.

I’ve seen Ponderosa, Jesuit, and Folsom this season. They are not Academy level programs. They fit perfect in the CIF-SJS.
oh really... someone on here seems to think you are destined for the nba if you play at those powerhouses. like nobody can touch them fellas

Would be interesting if someone in 5 years did a study of all the players who left their HS team to go to a prep program. Did it result in getting a high D1 scholarship and eventually into the NBA. Think the results would be enlightening. Still believe if you are a high D1 player they will find you whether playing for your HS or a prep program. Think many have sacrificed an education and their future for an unrealized dream of the NBA.

Reactions: Crusaders70
Kylan Boswell left Corona Centennial to play for AZ Compass Prep. The #29 prospect in the 2022 class, he should be well prepared for his freshman year at Arizona right? His freshman stats so far, 2.0 ppg 1.3 rebs 1.8 assists 29.6% FG. Would he be any better if he stayed at Corona? Who knows. But he would have played for a state championship with his friends, and would have got another year of coaching from Josh Giles, one of the best coaches in the state. Players need good coaching more than endless skill sessions and playing glorified AAU ball in the winter. I think there's a severe lack of on court discipline and understanding of how the game is played.
Agreed! Players should be taught to play the game the proper way. I think that US Basketball needs to decide what that looks like, because college basketball is completely different from the NBA….

I prefer the NBA game rules over college as it provides much better court spacing and supplies young men with a template for developing a pro-level game. Similar to what Europe does with Euro Basketball league….

I’m not a huge fan of AAU basketball but I love the fact that it affords the top players the opportunity to compete against one another.

The challenge will be implementing a system that provides these young men with a platform to develop their games, while still maintaining a highly competitive/organized basketball circuit.

I think that this can be achieved by teaching the young men the game according to the NBA rules. Which would give players and scouts a clearer barometer for assessing progress and talent.

oh really... someone on here seems to think you are destined for the nba if you play at those powerhouses. like nobody can touch them fellas
College Basketball is much different from the NBA. It’s not even the same game. Totally different.

And I agree prep school or Academy does not equal NBA. Neither does Big Time College Basketball.

Jesuit 1992-1994 could compete with some of these academies but Jesuit 2022, no. Lol

Would be interesting if someone in 5 years did a study of all the players who left their HS team to go to a prep program. Did it result in getting a high D1 scholarship and eventually into the NBA. Think the results would be enlightening. Still believe if you are a high D1 player they will find you whether playing for your HS or a prep program. Think many have sacrificed an education and their future for an unrealized dream of the NBA.
Very interesting study but hard to figure out because we don't know how the outcome would be if those players stayed. Does the player mature more emotionally at a traditional HS or at a prep school? Would their game expand more in the HS or prep school setting?

I think that it’s long overdue! There are too many kids missing out on major opportunities because they are not prepared…

Very interesting study but hard to figure out because we don't know how the outcome would be if those players stayed. Does the player mature more emotionally at a traditional HS or at a prep school? Would their game expand more in the HS or prep school setting?
Yeah , I’m sort of old school and think the Aaron Gordons, Drew Goodens, etc type don’t matter. They were nba bound regardless.

One interesting case would be Jordan Brown who left woodcreek for PP and bounced around to Nevada and Arizona before finding a home at Louisinia. (Hes been very good their). Will he be a pro? Did PP make any difference? I doubt it. Certainly not early in his career because he struggled. His running mate who stayed and played at Woodcreek has had a great college career. (Robert’s).

I look at Andrej from Jesuit and his tool set and ceiling are getting better by the day. Does he need prep school? Not in my opinion. But his genetics are rare.

Look folks, this is a debate that has gone on for years, and someone mentioned if one did a study. Well I did a quick one.

Many will say the 2009 NBA Draft was one of the better ones in today's prep/academy era. So what I did is took a look at all players drafted in 2009 that played at least 10 years and here is what I got.

The following went to High School:
Blake Griffin
James Harden(Arco Baby)
Steph Curry
Demar Derozan
James Johnson
Jrue Holiday(Arco Baby)
Jeff Teague
Darren Collison
Demarre Carrol
Wayne Ellington
Dante Cunnigham
Jodie Meeks
Patrick Beverly
Danny Green

The following lengthy list went to Prep:

Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans

So all my years around the high school game, I have never found one legit reason why a kid should go to prep school. Lets look at say locally Jalen Green, he was already a NBA player period. And will have a 10 year career.

Then lets look at the current locals.

Damian Lillard, three high schools, enough said, did not need prep school. He will play 10 years easy.

Aaron Gordon, watched him play many times. Hell if you didn't see him ever play high school, but saw him at 16 years of age play in the Pro Am, if you know basketball, you know he was a pro at 16. He will play 10 years easy.

And then I look back at the old school.

Gary Payton, Andrew Gooden, Jason Kidd, Ivan Rabb, Leon Powe, JR Rider, Antonio Davis, Lamond Murray, all great players to watch in HIGH SCHOOL.

So in my opinion I have always said one thing. Why in the world would a guy that everyone legit says has a shot at making the NBA, leave his high school. To me I find it odd. Lets see, I know I am the man, I will stay the man, I am big man on campus, but let me go play with many others who were THE MAN at their respective high schools before they went the prep route.

In closing as a long time fan of high school, nothing has ever impressed me about the prep school way. And why, because their are a boatload of high school players in the NBA. I don't have an exact count, but history has proven year after year after year that if you are the man, you will continue to be the man in high school.

Look folks, this is a debate that has gone on for years, and someone mentioned if one did a study. Well I did a quick one.

Many will say the 2009 NBA Draft was one of the better ones in today's prep/academy era. So what I did is took a look at all players drafted in 2009 that played at least 10 years and here is what I got.

Blake Griffin
James Harden(Arco Baby)
Steph Curry
Demar Derozan
James Johnson
Jrue Holiday(Arco Baby)
Jeff Teague
Darren Collison
Demarre Carrol
Wayne Ellington
Dante Cunnigham
Jodie Meeks
Patrick Beverly
Danny Green

Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans

So all my years around the high school game, I have never found one legit reason why a kid should go to prep school. Lets look at say locally Jalen Green, he was already a NBA player period. And will have a 10 year career.

Damian Lillard, three high schools, enough said, did not need prep school. He will play 10 years easy.

Aaron Gordon, watched him play many times. Hell if you didn't see him ever play high school, but saw him at 16 years of age play in the Pro Am, if you know basketball, you know he was a pro at 16. He will play 10 years easy.

Gary Payton, Andrew Gooden, Jason Kidd, Ivan Rabb, Leon Powe, JR Rider, Antonio Davis, Lamond Murray, all great players to watch in HIGH SCHOOL.

So in my opinion I have always said one thing. Why in the world would a guy that everyone legit says has a shot at making the NBA, leave his high school. To me I find it odd. Lets see, I know I am the man, I will stay the man, I am big man on campus, but let me go play with many others who were THE MAN at their respective high schools before they went the prep route.

In closing as a long time fan of high school, nothing has ever impressed me about the prep school way. And why, because their are a boatload of high school players in the NBA. I don't have an exact count, but history has proven year after year after year that if you are the man, you will continue to be the man in high school.
Frame this ! Well said Wizard!👍

Yeah , I’m sort of old school and think the Aaron Gordons, Drew Goodens, etc type don’t matter. They were nba bound regardless.

One interesting case would be Jordan Brown who left woodcreek for PP and bounced around to Nevada and Arizona before finding a home at Louisinia. (Hes been very good their). Will he be a pro? Did PP make any difference? I doubt it. Certainly not early in his career because he struggled. His running mate who stayed and played at Woodcreek has had a great college career. (Robert’s).

I look at Andrej from Jesuit and his tool set and ceiling are getting better by the day. Does he need prep school? Not in my opinion. But his genetics are rare.
we know.. andrej and jesuit. we know

jamari already committed so he has nothing to prove or do at the high school level.

players leave for various reasons, their families want them away for various reasons. prep schools, private schools and public schools are all an avenue. so many factors go into if a player pans out in college and the nba that really have zero to do with playing against downey or modesto high for 4 years. one of the biggest factors is leaving home and away from mommy and daddy and all the local fans, then you get to college and realize EVERYONE is a fast, strong and can jump as high as you. that is why so many nor cal kids leave and end up back. do that study.

Blake Griffin
James Harden(Arco Baby)
Steph Curry
Demar Derozan
James Johnson
Jrue Holiday(Arco Baby)
Jeff Teague
Darren Collison
Demarre Carrol
Wayne Ellington
Dante Cunnigham
Jodie Meeks
Patrick Beverly
Danny Green

Taj Gibson
Tyreke Evans

Great list! I noticed that there were 5 LA guys on your 2009 NBA list. This is no coincidence. The LA basketball scene is the best in the nation. (HS/College/Pro) They are training up pro’s in LA! The infrastructure is there.

Not so much in NorCal... Especially in the Valley...

You mentioned several Oakland legends, many who played HS ball 20-30 years ago, which was during a time when Oakland was a national hotbed. The Oakland basketball scene is not the same as years past. It’s been hit hard by gentrification therefore a lot of it’s talent has scattered throughout NorCal; primarily to areas like Sac, Stockton, Pittsburgh, Modesto, Elk Grove, where there is no strong basketball infastructure.

I noticed that Jalen Green, Phillips and Rosborough all went the Prep school route. They have several things in common, most notably they all reside in the Valley. Could these kids just be looking for a change of scenery or more competition? I mean Green and Phillips have dominated their regions at early ages. And as you stated: Green had already solidified himself as an NBA prospect prior to leaving Fresno. I know that he received great training prior to leaving Fresno....

I commend these kids for wanting to compete against stiffer competition. It's unfortunate that Phillips left during the middle of the season, but I applaud him for wanting to play against better competition.

****I agree that that some kids are can't miss NBA prospects. I also feel that there are many other kids that would benefit from extensive training and development that they will never receive at their local high school. While I don't fully support the Preps school's as they are constructed, I would love to see the formation of Prep schools that serve as training centers/academies that concentrate on developing these kids from an early age.

Each kid should be taught all of the skills on the basketball court. Too many kids get pigeonholded into playing a position and never develop a full range of skills. This has hurt US basketball. We have all of these amazing athletes who have never developed a full range of basketball skills. This is the fault of those coaching and teaching the game...

This is why I'm a huge proponent for the formation of prep school/academies that fully teach the game of basketball!

Reactions: coachlittle
Earlier this week he announced he is transferring to Dream City Christian (part of the Grind Session). I would think AZ Compass (NIBC program) plays better competition, but it seems like many from last year's team have transferred out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT