ADVERTISEMENT

Local player makes the opening day roster

NCSF

Hall of Famer
Sep 4, 2011
Bellarmine and Cal alum Mark Canha had a great spring for the A's and looks like he will be in the lineup in LF. Melvin says he has the most power on the team. Very happy for Mark and well-deserved.

This post was edited on 4/2 5:10 PM by NCSF

Terrific! Absolutely terrific!

Now there's mentioning a kid by name thats worth it!!

Another local kid made a MLB roster this spring. JR Graham, Class of 2008 from Livermore High and University of Santa Clara, made the Twins roster coming out of the bullpen. Graham was originally drafted by the Braves but the Twins picked him up on a Rule 5 draft this December. JR had a great spring and made the team. JR is another great great kid from a tremendous family.

Good for him. He was a good shortstop in high school but that arm became a howitzer. Very athletic pitcher, the type that thrives now in pro ball.

I'm kinda disappointed that Andrew Susac from Jesuit HS and Oregon State starts the year in AAA.

I think you have to find room for him on the roster, and you have to find room in the lineup for Duffy. But it's kind a jammed at C, SS and 2B. If I was Duffy I'd be spending all my free time shagging flies in the OF.

Splitty- No question he is going to be a big league player for a long time but he still needs to get his regular reps and sitting behind Buster early in the year where they have lots of off-days wont get that done. No question he's in their long-range plans. I'm a big Susac fan- talent, character, and winner

Both local HS players made A's opening day roster and are helping team get off to 2 and 1 start.

Marcus Seimien (StM B/Cal) is starting SS, and already posted, Mark Canha (Bell/Cal), OF/1b, got 1st start and went yard... (well, almost went yard) going 3 for 5, 4 rbi's in his 1st MLB start.

Congrats to both of these local HS players.. (I know, there are many other local HS players in MLB, not just these 2)

Lots of them out there, trust me. It's fun to follow. Casey McGehee (Soquel) hit his first Giants homer yesterday. Tyson Ross threw against Jimmy Rollins and Joc Pederson Tuesday night with JP Howell relieving. Brandon Morrow is in the rotation with ross. Dustin Pedroia muscled up for a couple homers the other day as well. Mario Hollands is hurt but a key guy for the Phillies. Troy Tulowitzki off to a great start. Brandon Crawford also powered up for a big homer the other day. Eric Goedell on the roster for the Mets. Lots of others but that's a start.

NCSF, yes, Nol Cal region has been a steady feed to MLB ... with help from basketball message board members, I have been able to compile a list of every HS player from Nor Cal that have played in NBA. (regular season game, not pre season/summer league) (about 100) That list is posted on the basketball message board.. (not sure if system deletes old post with no activity)

off hand, more MLB: CC comes to mind..

This post was edited on 4/13 4:32 PM by 1runtmc1

Not tooting my horn but our program has had 38 players who played full-time for us in the big leagues so I've followed those guys and a dozen more that I know playing against like Marcus S and lots of others. It's rewarding to see them live their dream. I went to spring training in Scottsdale a few weeks ago and got to see about 18 or our alumni at a dinner we had along with a few breakfasts and things. All great young men living their dreams.

TD- That's the plan. I've become a fan of the Nationals and Mets and a couple others.

But only after I see you in Cary THIS year!
wink.r191677.gif

I bet I can figure it out this summer. Taking a couple trips to East Cobb and can fit it in I'm sure.

I think probably Joc Pederson should be on this list. He was called up last year, but it looks like he now has a solid spot on the team. He hit his first HR yesterday. Palo Alto High School alum.

Craig- I listed him earlier. He started the year in CF. Not many besides you know he was a very good football player.

Rob, Sorry I missed your listing of Joc., Yes, he has the speed and athletic ability in football to perhaps have been able to play wide receiver in college ball.

An update from an old thread, spring 2015, fast forward to Oct 2019..
Marcus Semiem as the A's starting SS to start the 2015 season got off to a slow defensive start making many errors to start the season... , bringing Ron Washington in to help with his D techniques... steady improvement to point where Marcus is now a Gold Glove finalist these past 2 seasons... and may make the podium for AL MVP voting.. Great season to have as he now enters contract negotiations.

2 of the best defensive SS in the world both grew up in the Bay Area.

Likewise to Marcus' Cal Bears and A's teammate, Mark Canha who had solid season as he enters arbitration discussions with the A's this winter as well.

Hope both are still wearing the green n gold next spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT