ADVERTISEMENT

Menlo forfeits to BOD

Great season Menlo-sorry it had to end like this. :( Paye's done a great job with that program

It's possible the state championship games could be in jeopardy.

This is going to get very messy. Teams possibly winning a state title by default if the games happen at all.

In the grand scheme, there are more important things but local/world issues affecting key parts of the high school season the past three years is something like we have never seen before.

Unfortunately, Clay, you are probably correct. Schools, churches, sporting franchises, conventions, concerts, etc. are going to err on the side of extreme caution in this matter. No question about it. No one wants to wind up on the wrong side of this.

Test all the girls playing... play to empty gyms
Make all the games on NFHS free
So some people make less money this year
No reason to play any games at Golden1....State
Championship games could be at some small
HS gym in Sacto
Test refs and scorekeepers also

Reactions: GOTF
State finals should be played in a small venue w/o fans. Just players, coaches, score table, officials, and a small broadcast crew.

And it's going to get worse before it gets better ...

Let's see. California is in the middle of a pandemic and has declared a state of emergency. So let's gather players, coaches, parents, siblings, and fans from all over the state, cram them into a single venue, then re-distribute them back to their homes all over the state. Definitely worth it to get in a few more high school basketball games.

Reactions: ClayK
The big dilemma is that the CIF loses tons of money if they cancel. But from what I heard a lot of sacramento officials are pushing for them to cancel it. such is life i suppose....

Let's see. California is in the middle of a pandemic and has declared a state of emergency. So let's gather players, coaches, parents, siblings, and fans from all over the state, cram them into a single venue, then re-distribute them back to their homes all over the state. Definitely worth it to get in a few more high school basketball games.
I just dont get how all these grown men and women dont understand what you just said. This isnt a game they are playing. The liability a school would have if granny dies

I just dont get how all these grown men and women dont understand what you just said. This isnt a game they are playing. The liability a school would have if granny dies

Not to mention how any individual who could have said "No" would feel ...

A whole lot of nothing. In the words of Elon Musk, “The coronavirus panic is dumb.”

You all should stop listening to the fake news.

Let these girls play in the games they deserve to play in.

A whole lot of nothing. In the words of Elon Musk, “The coronavirus panic is dumb.”

Just wondering how you would feel if someone's grandmother died after you personally allowed the games to be played.

the core problem is the lack of information and transparency, which is accelerating the fear.

so the districts are going to act in an "abundance of caution", partly because we don't know the true extent of the problem, but mostly due to liability concerns. Can't blame them...
Test all the girls playing... play to empty gyms
Test refs and scorekeepers also
there ain't going to be testing healthy, asymptomatic athletes. They aren't testing people that need it

i personally think that once widespread testing happens, (which at some point it will), the numbers will be similar to the common flu. there will be a ton of infected that end up being mild cases. at risk people will always be more vulnerable to death... there will be a flu vaccine next year that encompasses Covid-19... but that's just my prediction.

the whole situation is f'd. there is no easy short term solution... and at the risk of getting political... it starts from top down. the very top. they are keeping us in the dark. so in the meantime, one hopes that common sense and practicality prevail, everyone uses extreme universal precautions, and if you have symptoms, quarantine (which i realize is easier said than done.. more political discussion would cover that)

Reactions: ShesGotHeart
one more thing:

cancelling games means nothing. it's finger plugging a leak in the dam while the water is coming over the top. unless we go full Japan, and shut down the entire city or region or state for a month, it won't stop spreading.

They cancel a high school game of a couple thousand spectators in a defined small region, meanwhile, 15000 people from all over Sacramento were at the Kings game yesterday.

Just wondering how you would feel if someone's grandmother died after you personally allowed the games to be played.

It would be horrible if someone’s grandmother died because a game was played. But did someone take her to the game when she was at risk? Did she sit right next to someone who was sneezing? Did a family member get exposed and then transmit it to her? Was she hit by a car while traveling to the game? Someone will die soon, but it may or may not be because a girl’s basketball game was played.

Reactions: OnBall8
The big dilemma is that the CIF loses tons of money if they cancel. But from what I heard a lot of sacramento officials are pushing for them to cancel it. such is life i suppose....

When all is said and done in this situation, it's on each of us to take steps to stay healthy and to assist family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. who may need help during this period of uncertainty.

Tell that to someone has lost a family member.

one more thing:

cancelling games means nothing. it's finger plugging a leak in the dam while the water is coming over the top. unless we go full Japan, and shut down the entire city or region or state for a month, it won't stop spreading.

They cancel a high school game of a couple thousand spectators in a defined small region, meanwhile, 15000 people from all over Sacramento were at the Kings game yesterday.
The kings getb15,000 fans at their games?? I thought they all joined the bandwagon

About the same as I would fell if they got the flu and died after attending a game. It's sad, but people die. If we truly want to keep people from dying from viruses that are spread through society, we should never leave our homes again. This whole thing is silly. So far this season, over 7,000 people in the US have died of the flu and 22 have died from the coronavirus.

Everyone has to make their own judgments ...

As for the deaths, though, there is a significant chance that of the 7,000 deaths, some are from the coronavirus. There's no way to tell, of course, but some experts are saying that it's been around for a while and we just haven't noticed it.

From some angles, that makes sense; from others, not so much. Bottom line: We still don't know as much as we need to.

From some angles, that makes sense; from others, not so much. Bottom line: We still don't know as much as we need to.
do you think you would be as noncommittal/ wishy washy if MM were still playing?

Everyone has to make their own judgments ...

As for the deaths, though, there is a significant chance that of the 7,000 deaths, some are from the coronavirus. There's no way to tell, of course, but some experts are saying that it's been around for a while and we just haven't noticed it.

If what you are saying is true, and the Coronavirus has been around for a while and some of the 7,000 deaths are from the Coronavirus, but we just didn't know it existed, it lends even more to the argument that we should go on with life as normal, in my opinion.

I have a friend that is an infectious disease doctor. When talking to him about this, he said the big question mark is how many people really have or have had this virus. If it truly is 114,000 with 4,000 deaths, that's a really high mortality rate and should be taken very seriously. As he said, China is reporting 80,000 infected. He said he wouldn't be surprised if that number was really closer to 800,000 and they just didn't know about them. If that's the case, then I think we have far less to worry about, as the mortality rate starts to fall closer in line with the flu.

It's really sad, but every year, approximately 12,000 people in the United States die from the flu. As with the known victims of the Coronavirus, the vast majority come from high risk groups. To this point, the Coronavirus actually appears to be somewhat more restricted to causing death in the elderly, which, while unfortunate, is better than the flu, which tends to also cause death in a significant number of otherwise healthy children.

I agree with you 100% on making your own judgments. I think people should be given a lot of leeway to handle this in a way they are most comfortable with. That said, if kids want to play sports and people want to go watch them, I think they should go on as normal. Starting to cancel things out of an abundance of caution could have unintended, far-reaching consequences, while not really changing the ultimate outcome much at all.

If Miramonte were still playing, and I were the head coach, I would go along with whatever the administration said. If they asked me, I would say that it's probably not a good idea to play, but if the experts say it's OK, then let's play.

Reactions: Coach_Case
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT