ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D1 Bracket

Norcal_Fan,

Your following comment " They have a 6'2 kid on that team that moves pretty good but she has rarely seen any playing time in the games that I've seen (why isn't she being developed!). Also, a set of parents on that team also chirp in the coaches ear and because he's probably afraid of getting canned (like a lot of people along the 680 corridor), he obliges." is real.

And is just an example of high school politics which I agree happens too often in many schools with timid coaching. I don't know enough about the Dublin coach or program to make a comment one way or the other.

But I do know the better coaches put team first. And they develop each player(s) without playing favorites or neglecting anyone.They don't allow parent pressure and other interference to dictate what they will do. They help assist the kids who want to or intend to play basketball in college better their chances of doing so. They care about the short and long term impact their decisions have on the kid(s) and/or the team, school, and program. Not that any coach is perfect, but most schools don't have a Doc Scheppler, Kelly Sopak, Tom Gonsalves, Sue Phillips, Donovan Blythe, Buck Mathews, Criag Campbell, Steven Pezzola. Malik McCord, Monica Mertle, Shawn Hipol, Leroy Hurt, Orlando Gray, Chiam Bismillah, Michael Woolridge, and several others that have a firm grip on running their team. And many don't have an A.D. or anyone making sure there are a few checks and balances in place. I wonder which, public or private schools, experience this type of problem most? But like some refs being good, and others being not so good, I guess it's part of the game.

So kids have to remain strong and focus on controlling the things within their control. That's definitely the advice I give to my two children. Dublin is good enough to put a starting lineup on the floor that can play with just about anyone. At least for a couple of quarters. So they need to figure out how to remain focused and under better control to be able to finish tough games in the 3rd and 4th quarters. And from the outside looking in the last couple of years, I think it's an attitude adjustment. They can't allow their emotions to get the best of them when things aren't necessarily going their way. And my guess is that will be an important aspect for each player as they move on to play at the next level. So it starts in high school. Because these "many" things that are out of a players control, won't all of a sudden be in their control in college. Win Anyway points many of these things out to help provide a better perspective to work from.

Best wishes to Dublin and all the teams moving forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: hunted1
Paytc,

I think you are a intelligent gentleman and I can see you know a thing or two about basketball. I guess I follow bay area basketball ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Please, please help me to understand what Mike Woolridge has done to make any team he's coached better. He was apart of a Dublin program that, with the Finau Sister's lost in the first round of NCS to Berkeley High. They fired the staff and only brought one of the assistants back. He now is the current head coach at Berkeley High which for the first time in YEARS didn't make the post season with a overall record of 8-14 league 2-8. And before you say it, that Tech team he had that was more Pico's than his. Not to mention if you have that much talent it's not much you have to do ask Steve Kerr .

But really please help me understand, what you see because this is the second time I've seen you bring him up. So maybe Im just not seeing something.

Paytc,

I think you are a intelligent gentleman and I can see you know a thing or two about basketball. I guess I follow bay area basketball ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Please, please help me to understand what Mike Woolridge has done to make any team he's coached better. He was apart of a Dublin program that, with the Finau Sister's lost in the first round of NCS to Berkeley High. They fired the staff and only brought one of the assistants back. He now is the current head coach at Berkeley High which for the first time in YEARS didn't make the post season with a overall record of 8-14 league 2-8. And before you say it, that Tech team he had that was more Pico's than his. Not to mention if you have that much talent it's not much you have to do ask Steve Kerr .

But really please help me understand, what you see because this is the second time I've seen you bring him up. So maybe Im just not seeing something.

Mike Wojokowski,

First off.......As far as I know at Dublin, I don't think Mike Woolridge was ever the head varsity coach. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Also we were pointing out coaches who don't allow parents or outside influences to impact their decision making or coaching. Perhaps that is why Mike left Dublin, he wasn't going for any nonsense.

I saw from first hand when he coached my daughter on the EastBay Tigers team this past summer. I think most people who saw that team which was put together from a bunch of discarded talented players who for several reasons didn't want to travel the country with one of the more established and successful AAU teams. They were a team that overachieved upsetting good team after good team, and/ or pushing them to the limit. No they weren't as talented as Cal Stars Elite. But the experience may have been just as gratifying to those who experienced it. And they were a group of misfits put together at the last minute. I typically speak on things I personally observe or have personally experienced. I never said any coach I pay a compliment to is perfect or doesn't occasionally have a bad day at the office. Or may not lack the talent in a particular year to be as competitive as one might wish or think they can be. My compliment to coach Mike Woolridge was that he doesn't just push a system on players. He doesn't play favorites. He (from my experience with him) works to help each individual player be real with themselves and find areas they need to improve upon to be a better player. And he gets what a high school coach really should be focused upon and it's not always just wins and losses. It's building individual and team confidence. And leaving an impact or mark on a child that they can use during the time he's coaching them and long after they leave the experience. Not the poor leadership style of micro managing and treating children like robots, puppets, or just a number..

Last edited:
Has Vegas released the lines on Friday's games yet?

Not sure since the last time you called into Vegas you got a few bad spreads. Las Vegas typically wins on both sides, and rarely flops. LOL..... It's not always an easy call because post season presents pressure. And some players and some coaches are better under less pressure. You can't always think what will work during the low pressure season will work in the post season. Especially considering one dimensional or predictable teams with timid coaching.They're generally easy to game plan for. I typically take that into account before just picking based off season records. Even in head to head match ups things can be different under higher pressure. Especially if the timid get in the way instead of letting those wired for pressure be allowed to just play the game.

Last edited:
I will give this another shot
#4 Srv vs #12 SL: SRV by 8.
#1 C-Let vs #9 American: C-Let by 25
#3 Castro Valley vs #11 Mt Eden: CV by 10
#2 Heritage vs #7 Dublin: Heritage by 18

Intersting ? I wouldn't be surprised if at least one ( most likely two) of the games are a bit closer. And one may even come down to the last shot. Good wishes to all !

which games we thinking will be close. I love Heritage more than most so maybe I am off on that one. I might be disrespecting mount eden. If they can beat Cal they can beat CV too. No home game this time however

which games we thinking will be close. I love Heritage more than most so maybe I am off on that one. I might be disrespecting mount eden. If they can beat Cal they can beat CV too. No home game this time however

Your picks of the winner(s) may all be correct. But the scores could end up being closer. And there is always a chance for an upset. Especially when more than one game is being played. At the same time perhaps you'll nail them all this time. But again.....that's why they play the game.

LBJ6

I got my Ms. Cleo hat on and I'm projecting an upset in one of these. Don't be surprised ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :cool:

SRV 10 or more
C-Let I agree
CV 15 or more
Dublin upset by 3

Holy shit I think I was only 1 or 2 points off on my predictions in each game. Excuse my french but I need to get to Vegas ASAP

Reactions: Paytc
SRV 55 to 47 over SL
Heritage 81 to 64 over Dublin
Carondalete 66 to 43 over American
Castro Valley 66 to 43 over Mt eden i think.

Great job LBj6 !

Now comes an little tougher spread to call. I know most are picking Carondelet and Heritage to play in the championship with Carondelet (who beat Heritage the last couple times) winning the championship. Any chance for either SRV or Castro Valley to buck the odds and upset one or even both of them? Either way, what final scores or point spreads are you providing us this time?

I don't want to comment on the championship matchup until we are definite on who it will be. At that time I will wonder on what each team needs to accomplish to take home the title.

Last edited:
Great job LBj6 !

Now comes an little tougher spread to call. I know most are picking Carondelet and Heritage to play in the championship with Carondelet (who beat Heritage the last couple times) winning the championship. Any chance for either SRV or Castro Valley to buck the odds and upset one or even both of them? Either way, what final scores or point spreads are you providing us this time?

Where and when will the championship games be held? St. Mary's college or somewhere else and when?

Where and when will the championship games be held? St. Mary's college or somewhere else and when?

They haven’t announced it yet, but SMC is the most likely venue for D1, D2 & D3. Sometimes the lower divisions are played elsewhere.

Great job LBj6 !

I think you may be baiting me into calling an upset. I don't think I can bite this time. If SRV can guard the blocks they can at least hang in the game maybe hit a few 3's early and make C-let uncomfortable. SRV shoots a lot of 3s. Castro Valley would need 40 from Bailey Jones to win at Heritage but they do play very fast. that game could end up in the high 70s. Heritage is just a dailed in team right now and just took care of one of best guards in our area.You have to beat Heritage they don't beat themselves. I will take a stab though.
C-LET over Srv 60-44
Heritage over CV 70-62

I think you may be baiting me into calling an upset. I don't think I can bite this time. If SRV can guard the blocks they can at least hang in the game maybe hit a few 3's early and make C-let uncomfortable. SRV shoots a lot of 3s. Castro Valley would need 40 from Bailey Jones to win at Heritage but they do play very fast. that game could end up in the high 70s. Heritage is just a dailed in team right now and just took care of one of best guards in our area.You have to beat Heritage they don't beat themselves. I will take a stab though.
C-LET over Srv 60-44
Heritage over CV 70-62

Very very good points. It is obvious you know basketball and a bit about each of the teams in the tournament. Are you coaching somewhere, if not perhaps you should be. Because you actually recognize talent, and get a few of the things several of the timid head coaches coaching pretty good teams don't even get. At least you know one of the keys is to get out of the way. Basketball is an instinctual game played best at higher levels off instinct. High school is not CYO. Don't micro manage. Positively encourage and teach players so come game time they don't need you. Then you can focus more on managing the game and not so much the players. That trust will allow you to take un needed pressure off your players and let the floor leaders lead, and the playmakers make plays. And to put team success before playing any type of favorites or ego trips. If you've been working weeks, months, and even years with players and haven't taught them well enough to trust them and let them play it might not be all on them. Sometime our ego and insecurities get in the way of ares and others success. Some are big enough to admit that fact while some are victims of the super ego, or insecurity curse. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Last edited:
I coach in some capacity but I just enjoy watching the girls compete for the most part. You are giving me too much credit! I just pay close attention and give credit where it is due. I am new to this forum and like the anonymous factor of it. I didn't know there were others out there like you all that appreciate womens basketball this much. Your insight is amazing and your support for the sport is admirable.

High school is not CYO. Don't micro manage.

funny that you say that. when my daughter played CYO, she had a coach who micro-managed, non-stop, from the bench. since she didn't play playground ball, I put her in a local league with older girls, so she could learn to play without being told what to do constantly. micro-managing is OK in practice, but I think it's handcuffs in games, even CYO. girls need to have the freedom to try-fail-adjust-repeat to grow and understand the game.

funny that you say that. when my daughter played CYO, she had a coach who micro-managed, non-stop, from the bench. since she didn't play playground ball, I put her in a local league with older girls, so she could learn to play without being told what to do constantly. micro-managing is OK in practice, but I think it's handcuffs in games, even CYO. girls need to have the freedom to try-fail-adjust-repeat to grow and understand the game.

mkbgdns,

That is sooo true ! And coaches need to not be so uptight. It is just a game. Take a few chances .Especially to set the tone early since you have the whole game to make up for things that don't work out. Dictate, don't let the other team set the tone they want. Young kids shouldn't have to worry so much about making a mistake that they are afraid to take a chance. The team your coaching is already having to deal with the other team, the other coach, the refs, and trying to get into sink as a team or in rhythm as a player. And they are seeking for momentum and confidence, not added pressure from their very own coaches. That is what I call "trained to be scared players". Typically trained that way by timid coaches.

Don't get me wrong, there are times even in high school where yelling and micro managing to a degree might be necessary. Different styles work for different teams. And different buttons work for different players even on the same team. And some players have higher IQ's than their team mates, and even their coach at times. That is why I say "Win Anyway" whatever works.

I agree CYO kids shouldn't be as micro managed. But typically, I like to say it depends on the group of kids you are working with. 3rd grade CYO players might need it more than 6,7, and 8th graders. But some 3rd grade individuals and teams are ahead of the curve. Whatever applies should be determined case by case IMO. By high school they usually have a higher basketball and personal IQ. And I think that should be taken into consideration. Especially since we are about to send them off to college and shortly after into the world. Thanks for your feed back and view on that.

Last edited:
mkbgdns,

That is sooo true ! And coaches need to not be so uptight. It is just a game. Young kids shouldn't have to worry so much about making a mistake that they are afraid to take a chance. The team your coaching is already having to deal with the other team, the other coach, the refs, and trying to get into sink as a team or in rhythm as a player. And they are seeking for momentum and confidence, not added pressure from their very own coaches. That is what I call "trained to be scared players". Typically trained that way by timid coaches.

Don't get me wrong, there are times even in high school where yelling and micro managing to a degree might be necessary. Different styles work for different teams. And different buttons work for different players even on the same team. And some players have higher IQ's than their team mates, and even their coach at times. That is why I say "Win Anyway" whatever works.

I agree CYO kids shouldn't be as micro managed. But typically, I like to say it depends on the group kids you are working with. 3rd grade CYO players might need it more than 6,7, and 8th graders. But some 3rd grade individuals and teams are ahead of the curve. Whatever applies should be determined case by case IMO. By high school they usually have a higher basketball and personal IQ. And I think that should be taken into consideration. Especially since we are about to send them off to college and shortly after into the world. Thanks for your feed back and view on that.

I have to ask, which is the most micro-managed HS team that you have seen in NCS D1? I saw one coach calling every play on both sides of the court

I have to ask, which is the most micro-managed HS team that you have seen in NCS D1? I saw one coach calling every play on both sides of the court

dbrown68,

I don't know enough about all the coaches to give an intelligent opinion about what team is most micro-managed in the NCS D1. But I will say IMO any coach who micromanages players too much may get in the way of both the coach and players success and overall confidence and development IMO. And in my opinion it is more likely than not done out of either ignorance, ego, or insecurity. Unfortunately not always in the best interest of the players overall confidence and development.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbrown68
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT