ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal's best players this year

Like I said can't wait to see this Manteca kid the first week of December at the Lincoln
Tournament(Stockton)

Last edited:
I assume you mean seniors . ..
Taking a look a Maile vs SHC on the 27th
At Bwood ...first time to see her in person...I assume she will start and play big minutes

Looking for anyone, any grade level.

Do you see her as being one of the top 15 or 20 players? I saw her briefly at an AAU event, and she didn't seem to me -- in just a quick glance or two -- to be at that level.

Are you saying by the end of December
Maile will not be starting at Ind?

Are you saying by the end of December
Maile will not be starting at Ind?

I meant 15 or 20 top players in NorCal, not at Inderkum. From all the talk, I'm assuming she's a starter and all-league player at Inderkum.

Cardinal Newman has a freshman coming in who is garnering some attention after a summer with the Cal Storm Bay Area top team.

her name is Anya Choice. 5'6 athletic and quick guard. She skipped a grade and should only be an 8th grader. So I expect her to make some big gains as the year goes on and as she matures.

This is my opinion but I don't know much. Class of 2017.

Best 5 in the land Loretta Kahala.( Manteca )
Best 4 Limar'i Thomas (SHC)
Best 3 Jordan Cruz (McClatchy)
Best 2 Kennedi Villa (SMB)
Best 1 Julie Blackshell-Fair (Vanden)

BEST RECIUT THIS YEAR IN CA IS LORETTA KAKALA will make and impact as a freshman. She has the best footwork and soft shoot. She is very physical like a college player already. She can take as well as give it back. I seen her handle Clark from LBP with easy. KAKALA is very strong and powerful.

Limar'i Thomas has great footwork and handles. She can post, take players off dribble and spot shoot. She bring the ball up the court too.

Jordan Cruz great shooter for the corners and a see the floor very well.

Kennedi Villa good shooter and slasher. She also see the floor very well.

Julie Blackshell-Fair see the floor very well. She is the type player you have ready for the pass at all times.

All these young ladies I pick play offence and defense very well. They all rebound and can play great man to man which a player needs at the D1 level of play. I would take this team against any other five from Norcal.

Last edited:
This is my opinion but I don't know much.

Best 5 in the land Loretta Kahala.( Manteca )
Best 4 Limar'i Thomas (SHC)
Best 3 Jordan Cruz (McClatchy)
Best 2 Kennedi Villa (SMB)
Best 1 Julie Blackshell-Fair (Vanden)

BEST RECIUT THIS YEAR IN CA IS LORETTA KAKALA will make and impact as a freshman. She has the best footwork and soft shoot. She is very physical like a college player already. She can take as well as give it back. I seen her handle Clark from LBP with easy. KAKALA is very strong and powerful.

Limar'i Thomas has great footwork and handles. She can post, take players off dribble and spot shoot. She bring the ball up the court too.

Jordan Cruz great shooter for the corners and a see the floor very well.

Kennedi Villa good shooter and slasher. She also see the floor very well.

Julie Blackshell-Fair see the floor very well. She is the type player you have ready for the pass at all times.

All these young ladies I pick play offence and defense very well. They all rebound and can play great man to man which a player needs at the D1 level of play. I would take this team against any other five from Norcal.

Definitely a good 5 player line up.

But there are quite a few players left off the list that we could easily create a worthy opponent.

Here is a few to consider....

I think these 3 players would be a core three under class players to build around to challenge your 5

(2)Mc Kenzie Forbes
(3)Aquira Decosta
(5)Angel Jackson

other 2 guards to consider Hannah Jump, T. Reese, and a few others could easily make the list.

The 3/4/5 spot we could select from Raziya Potter, Hailey Vice Neat,Maya Pace, Haley Van Dyke, Neenah Young, Lesila Finau, Johnson girls, Bri Simonich, Elle Louie, Holland, H. Jones, and other Mitty top 6, Ila Lane, Stella, L. Walker, and quite a few more......

The point would also have plenty good players to choose from.....

Sierra Smith, Kiara Jefferson, Naje Murray, Ariel Johnson, Namiko Adams, H. Jones, and others....

There are some other good players that have been hidden on good teams and/ or sitting the bench. Just about any of the top players on any of the top 10 Norcal teams are capable of playing at a high level and could all be considered. And some players I listed could play in multiple positions.

Some times it boils down to how players have been developed and brought along by the coaching staff. Some coaches are better at recognizing talent and/ or developing it.

That is a few but there are indeed quite a few others grades 9-12th.

I am not considering Clovis West as they are a bit outside and in the grey area of Nor/so-cal

Last edited:
Paytc

I will still the same five because they play both defense and offense. These are all teams players type of young women.

No one can't take that abuse the KAKALA will give of in the post. No can match up.with her. Angel Jackson won't have a chance her needs to get stronger and work on her footwork.

Cruz vs DeCosta is a old Stockton Mustang match up they know each other very well. Cruz know DeCosta doesn't like to play physical or can't stop her from shooting 3'star or go by her. DeCosta doesn't play man to man very well but that's not her fault. That just systems that she plays in.

Villa vs Forbes this one speed kills and physical game play does too. Forbes would have to play off her then Villa would shoot 3's all day and if Forbes would come up.she would blow right by she.

All the girls are very good but the 5 I pick have the complete package for the next level.

Paytc

I will still the same five because they play both defense and offense. These are all teams players type of young women.

No one can't take that abuse the KAKALA will give of in the post. No can match up.with her. Angel Jackson won't have a chance her needs to get stronger and work on her footwork.

Cruz vs DeCosta is a old Stockton Mustang match up they know each other very well. Cruz know DeCosta doesn't like to play physical or can't stop her from shooting 3'star or go by her. DeCosta doesn't play man to man very well but that's not her fault. That just systems that she plays in.

Villa vs Forbes this one speed kills and physical game play does too. Forbes would have to play off her then Villa would shoot 3's all day and if Forbes would come up.she would blow right by she.

All the girls are very good but the 5 I pick have the complete package for the next level.

You may know the girls better than I do? But I will make a point that anyone that knows the game (which I think you do) can't deny..... coaching would be the difference when both sides have talent. You picked first or I would have selected Kakala and Julia Blackshell- Fair too. But if you put together the right team with a good coach who would know how to recognize talent, scout, game plan, and make adjustments, that team would beat or upset the favorite team IMO. More times than not coaches drop the ball when all things are equal.

The coach I'm talking about would also know the strengths and weaknesses of your players and would game plan accordingly. They would know when to send help. Who to intentionally get into foul trouble. When to change from a man defense to a zone. And when and when not to press based on the flow of the game, score, and time remaining. We are both speculating. And obviously playing the game would be the best proof. Because we've all seen the best team lose to a team they should have easily beaten.

P.S. Of the players I have left who would you suggest would be a good match up for your five?

Last edited:
Paytc

KAKALA VS 2018 Sirena Tuite seen her play against MItty during the fall JBS Showcase.

Thomas VS RazIya Potter strength vs strenght.

Cruz VS Kiara Jefferson both can shoot and dribble drive.

Villa VS DeCosta even match because both tall but real 2 in college but DeCosta need to work on one on one defense.

Blackshell-Fair VS Lea Anderson (Grace Davis) both play the same. Great floor generalspace.

The one I mention would be my second team. They are all class of 2018.

Reactions: Paytc
RespectBBGame,

That second team would be good too. But we could still put together several others teams that I think would still be able to upset both of those two teams. Because there are still enough good players riding both on and under the radar. There are still several good players 1-5 in each position that are more than capable with matching up with the players that we have both mentioned. I think Clay knows that's the case and why he wanted to see what the opinions were out there on players that are both on and not yet on the radar. We haven't mentioned all the good players even you and I know. So obviously others know many unmentioned talented players as well.

My comment is not to knock the talented players you mentioned because a few of them are indeed head and shoulders above the rest. And we have rightfully acknowledged them. As I have so famously said for years and written in books.... "where players end up and who they have coaching them can make a huge difference". So hopefully all the players we have mentioned stay healthy and end up with the team and coach that allows them to enjoy the experience and gain the most in the process.

Jazzpt55,

I haven't seen Yani play enough to comment on whether she is better at this stage than Kakala is. I've seen Kakala enough to know she has seasoned enough moves in and around the rim to cause major problems on both the high school and college level. Selecting a coach, team, and good fit can make or break them both at the next level. So hopefully they find a good fit overall for the benefit of their continued growth, overall fun, and productive experience.

Last edited:
@RespectBBGame Lea Anderson (Grace Davis) is a for sure SLEEPER

I also think Celeste Almendarez at Edison (Stockton) is another top talent of the 2018 Class that is a Sleeper.

Is Kakala 6'3" legit or 6'1.5"....have never seen her play in person ...will in 2 weeks at Lincoln High Tournament?

Is Kakala 6'3" legit or 6'1.5"....have never seen her play in person ...will in 2 weeks at Lincoln High Tournament?

Probably closer to 6'1.5 than 6'3. But she has a true post stature and knows how to use it to her benefit. I think its fair to say you will appreciate her game up close and personal.

Last edited:
Kakala is the best post in the land. That's undeniable. She's also a relative to the Dublin Finau sisters. Lesila is a strong 2 and we have been hearing that we should lookout for the comeback of the younger sister Mel who has been out with a fractured right knee growth plate. Which sounds like she's still growing at 14. Angel Jackson is on a trajectory to that top post spot, lookout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
Clay,

There are quite a few sleepers. Some are slightly on the radar a few others not yet on the radar.

Here are a quick four that come to mind, but I do know of quite a few others......

Brittney Cedeno, South San Francisco
Brianna Simonich, Carondelet
Tatiana Reese, Woodside Priory
Taisia Fleming, Salesian

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT