ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburg versus St. John Bosco

This was brought up in another thread but I'll ask it here - how much does this cost and where does the money come from? Does SJB give them a cut of the ticket sales? Does the district cough up the money? Are there boosters kicking in? All of the above? There are still not a lot of regular season games between northern and southern California teams but certainly more now than even ten years ago. Not to mention the national games between the superpower teams, although I assume the televised games get network money. Certainly a different scene than when I was in high school and dinosaurs roamed the earth.

This was brought up in another thread but I'll ask it here - how much does this cost and where does the money come from? Does SJB give them a cut of the ticket sales? Does the district cough up the money? Are there boosters kicking in? All of the above? There are still not a lot of regular season games between northern and southern California teams but certainly more now than even ten years ago. Not to mention the national games between the superpower teams, although I assume the televised games get network money. Certainly a different scene than when I was in high school and dinosaurs roamed the earth.
I am sure in this instance that SJB is helping PITT with the Trip…. SJB costs around $16k to go there and I think has around 800-900 students so that’s around $14-$15 Million in tuition a year….

SJB needs games and helping PITT travel down there is less costly then helping a OOS team Fly in or Themselves Fly out to another state to play….

I am sure PITT will do some fundraising as well…. I am sure financially this is a win-win for PITT otherwise why would they do it?….

Also PITT traveled to so cal to play Cen10 Twice with no TV money and very little help from Cen10 which is not a wealthy school so somehow PITT seems to find a way to make these games happen….

The only time there is really any TV money involved is when ESPN is involved, they help the teams with the travel cost for OOS games and pay something to the schools….

Pitt obviously is going to be massive underdogs but I believe they’re supposed to be pretty good next year. I remember watching them play Folsom on the NFHS and the announcers kept commenting how young both teams were. SJB will win comfortability but I’ll be keeping an eye on Pitt next season. I like the way the new coach has them playing.

Pitt obviously is going to be massive underdogs but I believe they’re supposed to be pretty good next year. I remember watching them play Folsom on the NFHS and the announcers kept commenting how young both teams were. SJB will win comfortability but I’ll be keeping an eye on Pitt next season. I like the way the new coach has them playing.
Looks like Coach Ramirez has a longer view on where he is taking his program.

PITT definitely seemed to be more Diciplined and run a better scheme last year under the new coach…. They didn’t just throw Bomb after Bomb and they have a really good looking running back….

Tough to get these games figured out from a logistics standpoint and its only a one year deal so no return trip up north, but major props to Pittsburg!

NorCal fans will get a very good look at how good SJB is this season

I liked that Pitt team alot. Basically got beat by Ryder Lyons in the Folsom game. How do they look next year? Folsom to me is going to be #1 team in norcal. They have a ridicolous amount of talent and some transfers already. My intel says Lyons will reclassify "Up" next year and this will his last. He should be a senior next season anyway.

The super teams down south - you know who they are - probably have a tough time scheduling non-conference games (see the posting by Centennial in one of the other threads). To get an opponent on their level they go out of state. So I wonder what the other schools down there feel about playing them? The article in the SJ Mercury said that SJB reached out to Pittsburg to see if they were interested in playing them. There are any number of teams in Southern California that are as good or better than Pittsburg. Are they not willing to play them? Have the super teams alienated the other schools not in their league? Granted, there's no real upside to playing them as you'll no doubt get munched, and maybe they just don't want to have another loss on their schedule. I can see the attraction for the Pittsburg players in going against the best, seeing how you match up. There really is no downside as long as there are no significant injuries and you don't mind not having the chance of an undefeated season.

The super teams down south - you know who they are - probably have a tough time scheduling non-conference games (see the posting by Centennial in one of the other threads). To get an opponent on their level they go out of state. So I wonder what the other schools down there feel about playing them? The article in the SJ Mercury said that SJB reached out to Pittsburg to see if they were interested in playing them. There are any number of teams in Southern California that are as good or better than Pittsburg. Are they not willing to play them? Have the super teams alienated the other schools not in their league? Granted, there's no real upside to playing them as you'll no doubt get munched, and maybe they just don't want to have another loss on their schedule. I can see the attraction for the Pittsburg players in going against the best, seeing how you match up. There really is no downside as long as there are no significant injuries and you don't mind not having the chance of an undefeated season.
You are correct….. Both MD and SJB have a difficult time getting local games in So Cal because of how they operate and teams just don’t see the point in playing them…. San Diego teams won’t play them at all….

Cen10 doesn’t have the same problem because they are not nearly as stacked with players and teams actually have a shot to beat them like San Diego Cathedral Cathloic has done and Norco did in 2020….

Cen10 tried to Schedule ST Francis Academy for the upcoming season, but so far it fell through because SFA needs Cen10 to kick in too much money for them to travel out and Neither team has enough Money for Cen10 to travel there…. SFA does not have the kind of Tuition $$ that teams like MD, SJB and DLS generate….

Last edited:
Reactions: M.C. fan
PITT definitely seemed to be more Diciplined and run a better scheme last year under the new coach…. They didn’t just throw Bomb after Bomb and they have a really good looking running back….
Hey when you can play you can compete! I say SJB 43-24 Pittsburg will scare them until the 4th quarter. 24-14 halftime if I can be so bold...I love the underdog!!

GUYS...This is bold to take a trip to So. Calif. to have their pants beat off...I think Pitt is not ready to take on the So. teams yet...They are still grooming and need to find out exactly what they have and the new coach will find it and the Pitt will be ready..

GUYS...This is bold to take a trip to So. Calif. to have their pants beat off...I think Pitt is not ready to take on the So. teams yet...They are still grooming and need to find out exactly what they have and the new coach will find it and the Pitt will be ready..
I think that's why you schedule a game like this, to fund out what you have. Ultimately, if your program's goal is an Open State Championship, you'll find out how far away/close you are. You'll also find out about the character of your team as a whole.

REMC...Interesting thinking and still makes sense...But if I were the coach, I would not venture to south Calif. as the cost would be a hard ship on any high school..There are plenty of very good high schools in Northern calif. to schedule, but if you want a serious wake call, then its time to go to South Calif. to find out that your team will be beaten, make a showing or they will lick their wounds and we can say we met the best, but even if we are black and blue and some injuries we came any how..

REMC...Interesting thinking and still makes sense...But if I were the coach, I would not venture to south Calif. as the cost would be a hard ship on any high school..There are plenty of very good high schools in Northern calif. to schedule, but if you want a serious wake call, then its time to go to South Calif. to find out that your team will be beaten, make a showing or they will lick their wounds and we can say we met the best, but even if we are black and blue and some injuries we came any how..
Coach Kris Richardson, is that you?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT