ADVERTISEMENT

Predictions, anyone?

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
I'll start...

Open: Sheldon takes on Sierra Canyon.

I'm sure most casual fans think Sierra will run away with it, but not so fast... Sheldon backs down from nobody, and will give 'em everything they have. Still, I think all that uber-talent from La-La-Land will finally pull it out... I'll go 67-62 Sierra Canyon (whilst hoping the opposite comes true).

D1: Las Lomas vs. Chino Hills. (Still with a Ball, but no LaVar!)

On Saturday, Las Lomas showed the world that a speed team that depends on the 3-ball can find a way to win in the 40's while not hitting said 3-balls. What they didn't get to show was how they might handle the presence of a beastly 6'9" swat machine named Okongwu... Only game I've spotted where they faced an inside intimidator, they lost (to St. Patrick's St Vincent). So, as much as I'd like to see the Knights get the banner, I have to go with Chino Hills. Has more blowout potential than the Open game, but I'll go Chino 71-59.

D2: Alameda v. Crossroads of O'Neal, er, Santa Monica

Alameda's bigs have enjoyed a nice size advantage throughout the year, but not so much here. Crossroads is athletic but kinda wild and streetball-ish, not always taking advantage of their size, not really pounding it down low to their big man all that much (at least not in the one game I've seen online). I'll go with Alameda to get the slight upset, 56-53.

D3: Pleasant Valley v. Notre Dame (sans "Touchdown Jesus").

I've watched PV play online, and wish I'd seen 'em in-person before now. Tremendous team to watch! I watched their opponent online today and wasn't overly impressed... Good-not-great team. I'll take PV here, 62-54.

D4: Stuart Hall vs. View Park (LA City Section's only team to make Sac this year)

Looked at the start of the year that this would be a rebuild year for The Hall, but they've gotten better and better as the season progressed, due especially to freshman Nigel Burris, but with plenty of help from junior PG Miles Amos and a solid supporting cast. Well-coached bunch came from 17 down on the road to win NorCals. View Park split with Crenshaw and also has a freshman starter. I'll call the Hall finishing a storybook season in style, topping View Park 56-51.

D5: Argonaut faces Santa Clarita Christian

Santa Clarita has quite a bit of size, going 6'9", 6'7", 6'6". But they don't appear all that athletic or fast, as least not on a not-so-good online feed. Argonaut is just the opposite, not appearing to have much size (though sizes not listed anywhere I can see), but fast and skilled. Besides, Santa Clarita lost to a below-average El Cerrito team. Gotta go with Argonaut here. 68-55.

Kidmann- I like most of you picks with a couple things to add.
I think Sheldon stays in this game until the end. They will outhustle SC and win a lot of loose balls. But size and skill will prevail. I got SC 62 and Sheldon 54

I like LL over Chino. Chino is way to inconsistent. 11 losses on the season. LL will be prepared and is way better coached.

I think Crossroads will be too much to handle for Alameda. They have close losses to SC and Foothills Christian. O'neil is a beast.

I like your D3-D5.

I think it could be tough sledding for NorCal this weekend, but give Pleasant Valley and Stuart Hall the best chances to win.

I do think most of these games will be competitive.

Reactions: coachlittle
Streak, where is the faith... One thing I've learned over the last 25 years is anything is possible. I have 3 favorite games that register with me. I'm sure I'm missing another few....

Foothill (sac) win over Harvard Westlake. Sam Kirby and Chris Walker were amazing and Arco was absolutely electric.

Oak Ridge over MD - What can you say about that game. OR with Ryan Anderson, Moya, Browning, and PG I forgot name was one of the bigger upsets.

Palo Alto over MD- Jeremy Lin led Palo Alto team.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/high-school/joe-davidson/article206321184.html

I'm all for having faith and very few times do the NorCal teams get blown out at state. I just don't love the matchups for the NorCal teams

Yes hiram Thompson. That is the PG would played at OR on that team and later U of Hawaii. 6"4 and very athletic. Got dunks in games. That was a heck of a team.

Good luck to all the teams/coaches/parents/students this weekend. Incredible accomplishment regardless of the outcome.

Another point, a factor in my guesses at the top of this thread...

While they are very very good, even the cream of the SoCal teams appear to be very slightly below what they are most years.

Their national rankings are not quite as high as they usually are most years, and the online and TV games I’ve been able to see just haven’t quite up to their usual high level... To my untrained eye, anyway...

So Cal did exactly what I thought the'd do....Sweep!! So cal hoops is so far advanced from NorCal..

So Cal did exactly what I thought the'd do....Sweep!! So cal hoops is so far advanced from NorCal..

So cal is also a lot more populated then Northern California. Considering that nor cal get almost nothing from San Francisco. Besides mission state title last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT