ADVERTISEMENT

Renda to Cincy as Part of Chapman Package

BKWRDKUROUT

Sports Fanatic
Apr 28, 2007
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/artic...to-reds-for-closer-chapman/1776425155880.html

Question for NCSF:

Will he finally/eventually make it with a/the Big Club and stick or will some of his perceived drawbacks continue to thwart his attempts at being a Big-Leaguer.

IMO part of his late development at CAL was Coach PJ at Serra allowing TR to play SS his senior year after Karcish left. Prior to that TR played 3rdbase at Serra. He then arrived at CAL as a secondbaseman/DH.

Thoughts?

Far from an expert. It would seem to me that at the MLB level, 2nd basemen is his only avenue. Power number dont translate to 3B. Tough going with an All-Star now in his path (unless Reds whole-selling their team). Renda may be an insurance policy if Phillips gets traded. Traded twice in one year; wont be surprised he gets packaged again. Hope he and a team find their niche. He is a gamer.

Last edited:
Reactions: BKWRDKUROUT
Far from an expert. It would seem to me that at the MLB level, 2nd basemen is his only avenue. Power number dont translate to 3B. Tough going with an All-Star now in his path (unless Reds whole-selling their team). Renda may be an insurance policy if Phillips gets traded. Traded twice in one year; wont be surprised he gets packaged again. Hope he and a team find their niche. He is a gamer.

Good post! Nice additions!

Tony surely is and always has been a "gamer". Remember him in various Youth Ball venues and he could always rise to any occasion and "find a way". Older brother Tommy was also a tough competitor even though one arm was handicapped.
Bellarmine and then SI as a senior and then off to Portland State. http://archives.smdailyjournal.com/article_preview.php?id=111453

Tommy actually was a Pilot at Univ. of Portland (WCC)
PSU good FB school, does not have BSB.
Mom Laree gave THE '15 commencement address. She was a step below CEO at Safeway until they were bought out.

Tommy actually was a Pilot at Univ. of Portland (WCC)
PSU good FB school, does not have BSB.
Mom Laree gave THE '15 commencement address. She was a step below CEO at Safeway until they were bought out.

Thanks for the clarification. Why I said PState I have zero idea - as I saw him play for P-U
http://www.portlandpilots.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1602&path=baseball

Mom Larree - great lady. Dad Frank (RIP) was a dedicated dad and a firecracker in his own right. Tony surely got his pops DNA for feisty style from Pops.

Last edited:
http://www.smdailyjournal.com/artic...to-reds-for-closer-chapman/1776425155880.html

Question for NCSF:

Will he finally/eventually make it with a/the Big Club and stick or will some of his perceived drawbacks continue to thwart his attempts at being a Big-Leaguer.

IMO part of his late development at CAL was Coach PJ at Serra allowing TR to play SS his senior year after Karcish left. Prior to that TR played 3rdbase at Serra. He then arrived at CAL as a secondbaseman/DH.

Thoughts?
He's a good line drive hitter and can run a little but I don't think he has the hands to play second base or the arm to play third base or the power to play outfield. He's kind of like a poor man's Pete Rose. His best chance would be as a utility guy. He certainly is a winner so you never know.

Good fortune can sure help in getting chances in the bigs.. Pablo turned down large $$ from Giants... (glad he did in that at end of day, he did not want to resign anyhow).. that opened door for Matt Duffy to get his big league AB's and show. (and stick)

Marco Scutaro's injuries made the Giants try the revolving 2b door the year before until team finally gave Joe Panik the call to take a looksie. .... (think Dan Uggla)

The original question of "glass ceiling" drawbacks of Renda and big league chances for a serious look now that he has been traded/new organization.... I will assume that is height.... my views are:

There is major league talent in the minors.... one has to be ready if name is called and show well.....
Renda along with all minor league prospects have to show his bat well in the minors to get noticed/interest his way..(minor league light bats have to have gold glove type potential skills/ to get serious big league looks/think Brandon Crawford) Renda BA has to improve as he went .269 in AA last season...was P10 POY in 2011 (before Utah/Buffs joined league) and helped lead his team to CWS...due to his bat... If you can rake in the minors, you get eyeballs your way. (thus, do not feel this is a glass ceiling for Renda) Ever stand next to Jose Altuve??

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Why I said PState I have zero idea - as I saw him play for P-U
http://www.portlandpilots.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1602&path=baseball

Mom Larree - great lady. Dad Frank (RIP) was a dedicated dad and a firecracker in his own right. Tony surely got his pops DNA for feisty style from Pops.

No sweat Kl. Tommy indeed was/is a gamer as well. Obviously with a physical limitation (glove hand) he became a pitcher. Introduced at a fundraiser and he was able to connect me to my athlete, even though none of us had ever met. During an alumni game he actually went up to bat and connected. Great attitude, awesome family. Plus his li'l bro is an Old Blue. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT