ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Wins St. Mary’s Tournament!

I was there, Riordan was awesome. Like, nationally-ranked powerhouse awesome. Speed, size, skill, hops... All very much on display! These guys will be extremely tough for anyone to deal with this season, even the SoCal powers. And, I think Zion Sensley wasn't there, but I could be wrong...

I only recognized one Tofi, the um.... errr... "chunky" one. Well, he looks chunky, anyway... I don't think the University player that ran into him and just bounced off with him barely noticing the contact wouldn't say "chunky", more like "solid". VERY "solid", or "A bleeping brick wall!" In any case, This Tofi only played a little, but did reasonably well.

Speaking of University, they met Riordan in the FINALS. Bunch of little guys; you see 'em in the layup drill, you're like, "WTF are THEY doing here??" That's until ya play against 'em, then it's more like WTF are WE doing here???" They beat a lot of strong teams to get into that final...

However, Riordan blew University off the floor by about 30. They also beat Folsom by over 20, and Salesian by 11.

Others that played well enough to get into Sunday's Gold Bracket single-elimination tournament were:

Branson
Miramonte
CPBC (I think that was Bellarmine)
Salesian
Folsom
Clayton Valley Charter
Redwood
Whitney
Modesto Christian
Westlake Dons (St. Ignatius)
Campo
Jesuit
DLS
Inderkum

Other comments: I don't remember having seen Whitney before, but they are very good...
My young Cougs lost to Jesuit by 18 in today's first round.
Miramonte gave a pretty good game to Branson, sinking several late 3's before falling by 6.
That's pretty much all can pull from my sloppy note-taking...

Next weekend, Modesto... Go Cougs!

I was there, Riordan was awesome. Like, nationally-ranked powerhouse awesome. Speed, size, skill, hops... All very much on display! These guys will be extremely tough for anyone to deal with this season, even the SoCal powers. And, I think Zion Sensley wasn't there, but I could be wrong...

I only recognized one Tofi, the um.... errr... "chunky" one. Well, he looks chunky, anyway... I don't think the University player that ran into him and just bounced off with him barely noticing the contact wouldn't say "chunky", more like "solid". VERY "solid", or "A bleeping brick wall!" In any case, This Tofi only played a little, but did reasonably well.

Speaking of University, they met Riordan in the FINALS. Bunch of little guys; you see 'em in the layup drill, you're like, "WTF are THEY doing here??" That's until ya play against 'em, then it's more like WTF are WE doing here???" They beat a lot of strong teams to get into that final...

However, Riordan blew University off the floor by about 30. They also beat Folsom by over 20, and Salesian by 11.

Others that played well enough to get into Sunday's Gold Bracket single-elimination tournament were:

Branson
Miramonte
Salesian
Folsom
Clayton Valley Charter
Redwood
Whitney
Modesto Christian
Campo
Jesuit
DLS
Inderkum

Other comments: I don't remember having seen Whitney before, but they are very good...
Miramonte gave a pretty good game to Branson, sinking several late 3's before falling by 6.

Kiddman,
Whitney has a really solid program under coach French. They end up playing in SJS D2 and typically make some deep runs. Last year they lost to a tough vanden team I believe in Norcal.

Folsom lost 2 of there best players from last year who were suppose to return but have transferred. That is going to put all pressure on some young returners like Rawlings and a handful of JV kids who had a great season.

Believe younger Tofi is big Football prospect and not a hoop guy FYI.

CC, Riordan, and SRV should all be outstanding next year.

Branson
Miramonte
Salesian
Folsom
Clayton Valley Charter
Redwood
Whitney
Modesto Christian
Campo
Jesuit
DLS
Inderkum

I was there as well. Some good games, but still early to see who has transferred and who might have been just playing for a school. Also, injuries looked to impact some games. Branson's point guard rolled an ankle but continued to play. Salesian was missing 4 returning starters. Riordan was missing their Prolific Prep transfer, and Modesto Christian was playing with a 2025 kid that played on Durango's varsity this past season. Let's see what the rosters look like for Cali Live and Section 7.

Yeah, injuries/transfers/etc. do play a big part. Another was Tyler Bergren, starting PG for Campo. He blew his knee out late in the Cougs' NCS title win over Las Lomas, but should be ready to get back on the court by the time the regular season rolls around, provided there are no major setbacks.

Also, I wasn't sure about Sensley, altho I assumed he wasn't there for Riordan (couldn't remember what he looked like) and didn't get a chance to ask anyone... Considering how awesome they looked last weekend, tho, add him to the mix, and there should be much fun on Phelan Ave. this season!

Both Salesian and MC looked pretty darned good, too... Add the missing guys to those two squads, and they'll be flat-out scary!

BTW, I also heard that University had two starters out.
Everyone is missing key guys right now. Imo clearly the two best teams there where riordan and Salesian. You can assume MC will have 2-3 total studs come in before next fall. Although Butler from Branson is a very nice player If he is the marquee player in the north it’s pretty bad 24 class. He’s a low major type player.

Yeah pretty weak 2024 class. A few low major types and lots of D2.
In norcal Don’t sleep on capital Christian. 20 win team last year and tons returning + a couple big transfers.

I would agree that 2024 is down but could still be a good team year with Riordan, Modesto Christian and Salesian likely being the frontrunners and all should be pretty darn good.

Don’t forget To Riordan or from France to Capital Christian
It's well known that Riordan has had an international boarding program since 2011. It was a novel approach to deal with the declining enrollment in San Francisco. Going co-ed in 2020 has also helped increase enrollment.

Reactions: larry legend33
It's well known that Riordan has had an international boarding program since 2011. It was a novel approach to deal with the declining enrollment in San Francisco. Going co-ed in 2020 has also helped increase enrollment.
I would agree that 2024 is down but could still be a good team year with Riordan, Modesto Christian and Salesian likely being the frontrunners and all should be pretty darn good.
Riordan should be special come end of season! They will be loaded.

Won’t be shocked is Mitty still wins the WCAL with half the talent. Kennedy is a great coach.
Mitty and Riordan shared the title last season. Mitty took WCAL, but Riordan took CCS Open the year before. 3 way title tie (Bells, Mitty, Riordan) pre-COVID. Curtin's record has not been shabby since taking over the team in 2018. Kennedy is a very good coach, but let's not kid ourselves with not having talent along with transfers. Kennedy's only State title teams had McD's AA Aaron Gordon surrounded by a great cast including transfers. Nothing wrong with that.

Riordan has 6/7 transfers this coming year and only one is "International".
Based on recent posts, I count 5. Zion Sensley returning to his former school. The Tofi brothers as they are now back in the Bay Area and following the steps of their dad's Alma Mater. And the WP players.

Ive heard that the last 3 years. Same ol' story.
NorCal Semi-finalist finish the last 2 years and NorCal run cut short b/c of COVID before that. Despite King transferring before the season started last year and losing both Mor and Zion to PP the year before and took CCS Open. Add COVID for a season and 1/2 to that as well. That's a pretty good story the last 3 years.

Based on recent posts, I count 5. Zion Sensley returning to his former school. The Tofi brothers as they are now back in the Bay Area and following the steps of their dad's Alma Mater. And the WP players.
Isn’t it really the one Tofi also? The younger one is a football player who is playing basketball.

Mitty and Riordan shared the title last season. Mitty took WCAL, but Riordan took CCS Open the year before. 3 way title tie (Bells, Mitty, Riordan) pre-COVID. Curtin's record has not been shabby since taking over the team in 2018. Kennedy is a very good coach, but let's not kid ourselves with not having talent along with transfers. Kennedy's only State title teams had McD's AA Aaron Gordon surrounded by a great cast including transfers. Nothing wrong with that.
Agree with you. Riordan doesn’t get into that fight and they are playing at home with a full power team in norcal playoff next game . What was final verdict for Inderkum?

Isn’t it really the one Tofi also? The younger one is a football player who is playing basketball.
Tommy Tofi '26 and John Jr. '25 are in the team picture above. Both are also football players. Tommy just got his 6th D1 offer from Oregon and was named OL MVP last weekend at the Northwest Showcase. John Jr. is pictured 5th from right I believe.

As far as I've ever heard, Inderkum hasn't been penalized thus far. I'm pretty sure they will, but no idea how they'll proceed. The fight was one thing, and even though it looked like the Inderkum players were more likely the ones that started throwing punches first, that can't really be determined fully... Besides, many of the Inderkum players in that fracas were seniors and have moved on. And Riordan players already served their punishment.

On the other hand, at least some of the spectators and maybe administrators (most likely Inderkum's, especially since some of the Riordan players already were kicked out of the next game) should definitely get some sort of punishment.

What? Dunno... Make the Tigers play in an empty gym, at least at home? If so, for how long? Maybe the worst offenders of the spectators (possibly on both sides) have already been banned, who knows?

That'll be an interesting sub-plot to start the season.

the first fighting action was by the catholic fella. all the rest was collateral damage. if cuddy walks down the court as he should have, they might have had an appointment with the jeweler.

Reactions: cityfan
Maybe it was, maybe not. But from what I saw and heard, it was started by one or more Inderkum players. And, as far as I know, it was Inderkum fans that jumped the railing and got into it.

Of course, I was watching an NFHS feed, not likely it showed everything clearly.

Maybe it was, maybe not. But from what I saw and heard, it was started by one or more Inderkum players. And, as far as I know, it was Inderkum fans that jumped the railing and got into it.

Of course, I was watching an NFHS feed, not likely it showed everything clearly.

someone lied to you.

Well, looks like the Riordan guy did the first physical thing, the hard shove from behind at the 9-second mark. At least on that point, I stand corrected. But, both sides were throwing within a second or two, and I'd say it looks like both sides were at fault.

Lots more Inderkum guys came off the bench, but the fighting was right in front of theirs, so there's that factor... I see that three or four Riordan guys came over, too... But they were held back from the fighting.

So far as fans coming over the railing, it's hard to figure who was who, and whether they were 100% there to try and break things up, or whether any threw any punches, etc.

Riordan already paid their part of the punishment, having to go on the road with a short bench. But Inderkum should get some sort of sanction, too. Whatever is done would unfortunately have any Inderkum seniors skate by since they're gone, but what happened happened, as Mike Tyson said...

p.s. there MUST have been a lot of jawing going on, maybe the refs should have been more forceful earlier with T's or whatever, might have diffused things... But we'll never know.

Very true. It comes down to dudes in the end. Good coaching can cover up a talent gap or help a team win an even talent battle, but nobody wins without talent.

NorCal Semi-finalist finish the last 2 years and NorCal run cut short b/c of COVID before that. Despite King transferring before the season started last year and losing both Mor and Zion to PP the year before and took CCS Open. Add COVID for a season and 1/2 to that as well. That's a pretty good story the last 3 years.
No doubt if youre just looking at wins and losses. With the accumulation of talent they have had, my personal opinion is that it feels like a disappointment because they havent hung a single State or Nor Cal banner in that timeframe. We'll see this year as they will be right up there again.

Reactions: Scott2138
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT