ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento vs. Sacred Heart Cathedral

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Sacramento leads 26-10 after Q1. Very good quarter for the Dragons. Young has 12 and Terrell has 9.

SHC is having a hard time with Sac high pressure. Sac does reach and foul a lot.
SHC will be shooting 1 and 1 next foul early in 2nd.

Sacramento leads 47-27. Solomon Young with a dominant first half. Sac High is able to push the ball with the dribble or outlet pass with quickness.

Sac high is up 20 at halftime but if SHC learned the value of a good shot this game could be closer. They don't play as a team from what I can see.

Young is the real heart of sac high. He plays hard every possession. Guys like that are hard to keep out of lineup in college.

Granted the competition isn't the same, but Solomon Young is moving past two bad games in this event. Doing it all on both ends.

Sacramento leads 64-40. Dragons have two stars in Young and Terrell and plenty of guards off the bench who all come in with great effort. Pretty good formula going forward

Sacred heart coach is just on the sidelines with his arms folded no adjustments or timeouts to chew some hind tail very poor effort being showed by the Irish and the coaching staff.sac is a good team but not 28 pts better then the Irish or at least I thought.

This game was just painful to watch. It was an out of control track meet with about 50 turnovers combined. Not my style.
SHC is not very good. They have some talent but don't play together at all. Hollins is a future D1 player.

Sacramento wins 82-56. Dragons were in control throughout and look like one of the top teams in NorCal this year.

Solomon Young had 22 points and Christian Terrell had 15 points. 11 players scored for the Dragons.

SHC was led by 21 points from Alfred Hollins

SHC offense is horrendous. Mostly all one on one. Possibly one ball screen.
Parsons drives and forces up shots even when doubled. Should be looking to kick to open man.
#11( forgetting his name.) only looks to shoot jumpers and step back jumper's that are especially difficult.
Overall, they don't share the ball(look for one another), move without the ball, and love to go one one one.
Coach might have to institute 4 pass's before shot, once in half court offense.

Lincoln-pretty much what I thought too. No team concept at all. Honestly I wasn't that wowed by sac high. They make a lot of mistakes for such a talented team. Mistakes you won't see in the next game.

Originally posted by bones40:
Sacred Heart coach is just on the sidelines with his arms folded no adjustments or timeouts to chew some hind tail very poor effort being showed by the Irish and the coaching staff.sac is a good team but not 28 pts better then the Irish or at least I thought.

I've seen him do that many times. He just lets his team work their own situation out. Usually to the chagrin of the ALUMNI.

Either that or they really didn't care about winning this game.

@Irish cheers I thought that was very strange I know that the Irish are young but you have to call a time out and at least get into your team and see if you can motivate them.THEY are not a college or pro team that is asking a lot for them to figure it out against a team with talent such as sac high.

This post was edited on 1/19 9:01 PM by bones40

This post was edited on 1/19 9:06 PM by bones40

Originally posted by bones40:
@Irish cheers I thought that was very strange I know that the Irish are young but you have to call a time out and at least get into your team and see if you can motivate them.THEY are not a college or pro team that is asking a lot for them to figure it out against a team with talent such as sac high.

This post was edited on 1/19 9:01 PM by bones40

This post was edited on 1/19 9:06 PM by bones40
Yes, I don't like it when he does that either. What's wrong with calling a time-out and doing something different?

I went this afternoon to this game. I knew it was going to be a long day when I was watching warmups and saw Solomon Young. He ate Carter as expected. Lynch gave it all he could but it was comical. Im done with this group of players. This was the 5th game in a row going down by 15. Its very apparent these guys don't like playing with each other. No one sells out for another teammate. Just look at all their faces and body language during the game. They don't look like they are having any fun.

Ok, theres nothing they could've done to stop Young. So Barbour just wants these kids to figure it out. When they figure it out, its 1) effort on defense, 2) its not a heat check 3 from Parsons or Hollins after one pass on the offensive set. I don't have any doubt Barbour is a very good coach, but I don't envy him having to deal with this group of kids he has this year and last year.
They don't listen, they don't like to play defense, and they all are pretty selfish basketball players.

@iamgearyblvd I totally agree that there play is way to selfish and there defense is not good
but i think we can all say and see that there is some talent on this team no question.BUT in this day and age we are talking about players whose attention span last as long as there next tweet or instagram post sometime you have to get into them and get there attention.Sacred heart
cathedral being invited to play in gridley and events at cal are merely based on accomplishments of past teams this young group needs the whip cracked at them to understand that going forward just my opinion.

Not sure what all the confusion is about. I could of swore I made it crystal clear this team had the talent but would not be able to contend without any cohesiveness. I knew after the Bruce-Mahoney,(Win) the thought of breaking down tape and correcting any defensive or offensive issues would be the last thing on their mind. I still believe Barbour has already earned his coaching stripes in this league, I just dont know if his demeanor and coaching style fits this particular group. At this point, I think he should fall back on coaching and conduct a "School of Hard knocks" for these kids, so he can contain all egos involved, cause AGAIN, watching the seniors go 1on5, and play erratic Helter Skelter ball is hard on the eyes...

Time will Tell if this group can crack that top 4 in league play with this kind of selfish play. I just hope they dont beat up on ('last place) VC this week, and consider their problem solved, cause a Good Win cant fix everything.

Yes, I agree with what everyone is saying.....SHC is playing with no cohesiveness and not as a team. Not enough D. They definitely don't look like they are having fun but how can they look like they having fun when they are down like 20+ the whole game, and the shots are not falling. AS IC says, maybe they just didn't care about this game, which is true, but they all matter.

Coach B has to grab these kids and push them. I think this is one of the youngest teams he has had at SHC and he doesn't have more than 3 seniors who start. As Bones40 said, he really has to take a harder and more active approach. Coach B took a lot of timeouts against SI, but he knew he needed a win that night. Keepit100, you are correct, to much ego and not enough about the team or the WE. SHC beating up VC will mean nothing, they better beat St. Francis and Riordan too, or at least one of them, if they intend to still compete. You did say the team has a lot of growing up to do and if they don't find a way to play together or check egos, the team will be nothing. However, what most people are saying is, they just didn't know it was going to be this bad, they looked horrible today. They need to wake up!!

This post was edited on 1/20 1:45 AM by Scott2138

Look SHC has had a lot of success and nice runs (and one in the future is attainable). I actually like Coach B as little gets to him. But those in the know knew this group wasnt set up right. Between losing Pratt two years ago, their guard last year who set the tone; the players they have left over were solid role players, with little experience to lead.

Also SHCP has a penchant for moving up promising freshman as high as varsity; some to JV. Which translate to lack of foundation in programs fundemental (or lack their of) philosophy. Some of these freshman they bring in from their feeder AAU teams were THE MAN coming into the program and are now thrown into a league where solid defensive philosophies will nuetralize even the best athletes. AAU ball is great for kid to show off offensive skills, but little is taught defensively (parents pay a lot of money to have their kids score and ball handle to get attention. No money, team or laurel in teaching defense in AAU-isnt that what Lebron/Kobe stated recently in AAU ball killing basketball fundementals.

SHC will continue to get great athletes that will sink or swim at the varsity level. It's finding a group that comes into together, learns the programs philosphy together that will build leaders. Throw in the ocassional stud, and that is a team to reckon with. Look at Marchetti at SI, he is keeping the majority of freshman together at frosh level and they are killing the league. Watch in few years if they bring in stud to complement that group, they in a few years will make a nice run. Sacred Heart will just hope they can out-athlete the league. It has worked most years, but not quite this year.
This post was edited on 1/20 9:10 AM by CityVibesII

I agree and disagree, you can say your statement, but that is why Coach B usually does not have more than two sophs or two freshman at a time. The Hollins and Carter players don't come every year at the Freshman level, having them may have fooled him a little like having a FOX and JOHNS that eventually tore through the league but only eventually as seniors. They were not that good when they were underclassman. Success in Frosh A never actually defines success in varsity or even Junior Varsity, but it does keep the winning feeling which may be confidence building for your younger players. Totally agree about AAU ball.

Scott, you describe the team as "no cohesiveness, not as a team, not enough D, don't look like they are having fun, not caring about the game". You suggest Barbour with his historical record of success up to the state level needs to take a more active and harder approach and grab them and push them. Why don't you go tell him in detail what he is doing wrong or apply for the job next time and coach yourself?

Fubo, the difference is I am agreeing with what everyone is saying on the board....I also support Barbour, I like him as a coach and I do not want him to leave. Im just saying the results may not be what he wants because these guys are young and it does not appear that their is enough senior leadership. Perhaps he needs to more hands on because his usual style isn't really working now. I don't hate my school like you do and am entitled to my opinion on the game or "bad play" that happened yesterday.

I have watched Barbour coach since his Woodside days. One thing all his teams have in common is that they are really good in mid Feb and make runs in playoffs. They get better as the season goes. Once he gets the team together on same page they will be alright. Its only Jan.

Not sure if Coach B was at SHC at the time, but the only 2 Frosh that made an impact on varsity were Jerry Brown and Kevin Greene.
Originally posted by Scott2138:
I agree and disagree, you can say your statement, but that is why Coach B usually does not have more than two sophs or two freshman at a time. The Hollins and Carter players don't come every year at the Freshman level, having them may have fooled him a little like having a FOX and JOHNS that eventually tore through the league but only eventually as seniors. They were not that good when they were underclassman. Success in Frosh A never actually defines success in varsity or even Junior Varsity, but it does keep the winning feeling which may be confidence building for your younger players. Totally agree about AAU ball.

Barbour was not the coach whene Brown and Greene were freshmen. It was John Perez. Barbour took over when they became sophomores and they had an .500 record believe it or not. The 2009 team was pretty much unbeatable unless they were going against Drew Gordon and Mitty. Having Greene solves alot of problems. If only that pipeline from Oakland didnt stop at Bishop O'Dowd and went across the bay onto Ellis St.

What is the scounting report on Hollins? I watched him yesterday and he looks like a future mid major type player. Is he only a frosh? He took some ill advised shots but that is too be expected. I liked his game though. Very talented.

Hollins is a sophomore. There is a vast improvement in his offense this year as compared to last year. His shooting technique this year he is releasing the ball more behind his head (Larry Bird) vs. last year the his release was in front of him. Nice tweak to his form. He is shooting at a much higher percentage from the perimeter on jump shots than last year however with this boost in efficiency he is not taking the ball to the hoop as he did last year.

I can guess he wants to stay in the perimeter on offense because on defense he really is the ONLY guy that is rebounding or guarding the best post player the other team has. I can imagine it being tough on the kid's body to take a full game of contact on both ends of the court.

There were talks about him transferring end of freshman year. I would not put it past him to leave after this year and go to a program where he can just work on being a pure 2 or 3 which is likely what he will be in college. I dont think he enjoys being a 4 or 5 on defense because it is affecting him on offense.

Yes he has improved. Let us hope he doesn't leave so he can leave his mark at SHC and the WCAL. It was rumored last year Carter was going to leave to another WCAL school and Hollins was going to Findley Prep? etc. Alledgedly, he still wants to go to North Carolina the last time I saw but is being recruited by PAC12 and others so far.

A big man from the past that draws the softness comparison to Carter is Caesar Smith. I watched up close virtually every game that Caesar played in on varsity and Carter by far is the worst. I think if he wants to be Jerry Brown, then let him be Jerry Brown. The thing is he is slow as molasses. Brown moved and flowed like a deer. If you see how Carter runs up and down the court, its like he has lead in his shoes. Having said all that hes not my top smh player. Its Parsons.

Iamgeary, I can see that comparison but in all fairness to Carter, he is only a Sophomore. I do not think Ceasar Smith was on the varsity this early, was he?. Regarding Parsons, great shooter, but he does not appear to be the vocal senior leader we need. Maybe, Hollins can start taking over the team toward the end of the season, because frankly, he will be one of the leaders that need to step up next year....Next year's Irish team will probably have no seniors starting that I can foresee.

This post was edited on 1/20 6:47 PM by Scott2138

Iamgeary attacking players and Scott calling out the coach. Where were you when your football team went winless for the second year in a row in WCAL? Basketball is fair game but the football team and football coach was off limits?

FUBO, you were the one constantly complaining about Riordan...People had to tell you to stop talking badly about the school and the hiring of Lee, and the direction of the school etc. Like I said, the difference is no one here is saying SHC is bad or the coach should go. We are merely talking about the recent bad game play about a team that should be playing better ball. Stop trying to make comparisons to your sad and negative thoughts. Have some pride with whichever school you want to .

I never complained about the school you pinhead. I only complained about hiring a football coach with a losing WCAL won-loss record after the worst football school in the WCAL dismissed him. You didn't have a problem with the SHC football team going two straight seasons without a league win but you want to come out now and criticize the BB coach who has two state titles. Why the double standard?

No double standard, FUBO. SHC is good in basketball, people know that, common knowledge, boys and girls...SHC is average at best in football with some good years sprinkled in. Matter of fact, with the exception of the last two years, it is pretty safe to say they beat up on Riordan pretty soundly as well. I'm going to stop now, I don't need to explain it anymore. Like I said before, worry about Riordan, they need alumni like you.

I think and hope this Lynch start/Carter off the bench move is permanent. When PJ is in there, he knows where he needs to be especially on the defensive end. Not to mention he hustles.

Yes, Lynch seems to play with more urgency. He doesn't have the upside like Carter but Carter isn't playing all that well now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT