ADVERTISEMENT

SFL, whose is it? Folsom's!

DO opened up on the first play of the game and ran a trick play, fly sweep pass..,well defended by OR. OR opens their first drive from their own 3 yard line and drives to the 30. They run a well executed trick play and score on a 70 yard pass play. I see no difference in the idea of running a trick play at the right time from both teams...one was successful, the other not.

DO is a good team and a great program. OR is just better. In the HC Cavalier vs HC Taylor era, Cavaliere is up 3-1. Last two meetings 2-0.

I don't believe in "spotted or garbage" terminology. Some people take these terms more literal than others. The game is played in 48 minutes....best team wins, either by 1 point or 21 points.

DO played well, probably one of their best games this year. OR made mistakes, even taking off 6 points on a holding call in the 4th, which would have given them a three score lead in the last few minutes.

Good luck DO for the rest of the season!

With OR's victory tonight vs DO, indeed it comes down to Folsom vs OR. Gotta go with Folsom.
Yup, agree. Folsom has some athletes and the clear leader in the SFL.

Pretty surprised how hyped DO was on this board with all these returning players from a state champ team and a weaker schedule yet they seem to lack something...
I certainly had higher expectations for this years DO team because of the returning starters. As I said earlier in the year I thought DO was not playing up to expectation. I can say now with conviction this years DO team is not as good as last years team.

Good teams don't spot their opposition 21 points. That tells me they didn't play very well in the beginning for whatever reason. Or OR just played extremely well...
This DO team is not as good as last years team. OR did not do much different between scoring those first 21points vs their play the rest of the game. DO just did not get it done on both D & O through OR's first 3 possessions or you can say OR just kicked DO's butt the 1st qtr.

...Also correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last TD sort of garage time because OR had a 2 score lead and was essentially playing loose?

Game was never in doubt as the better team took an early lead and yes the last TD was garbage in the box score Thunder. OR was the better team and it was clear on the field...
There were no garbage plays/scores in this game. Both teams played first string all the way to the 2nd or 3rd to last play of the game when OR just kneeled down. Both teams competed the whole game. OR was the better team.

... or do you mean OR came out ready to play and whooped DO's butt for the 1st quarter...
Yes

In the defense of smashmouth, OR cashed in a cheap one on their first score with the fake substitution- WR sprinting off only to align toes on the sideline-back to the ball statue stance next to the cluster of reserve players on the other side of the chalk. That got the ball rolling and pressure off OR, DO responded just a little to late. I want to hear your guys take; is that a BS play, or creative by coaches?
I'm a meat and potatoes football fan where I like hard nose physical play so that play while resourceful and successful is just not something I'm crazy about.

Congrats to OR as they were the better team!

My SFL ranking:
#1 Folsom
#2 Oak Ridge
#3 Del Oro
#4 Rocklin
#5 Woodcreek
#6 Granite Bay
#7 NU

Reactions: ThunderRam
DO finished the regular season at 4-6 last year. This year they are 7-2 with only Woodcreek left on the schedule. So they are likely to finish 8-2. With the number of returning starters, and the vast improvement in the record, it is hard to see why they are worse this year. Their only 2 losses are to two of the best teams in the section.

They are going to wind-up in the D2 playoff bracket with teams like Antelope, Grant, Central Catholic, Roseville, Inderkum and Sacramento. They have a chance if they can get it together.

Reactions: RunningRon
CIty of Trees Football: the play was ruled illegal some time ago. The rule states: "To use a player, replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or kick"

Feedback1: agree it is interesting how many hammer DO when the go 4-6 and still win state, but are now 7-2 and evidently aren't very good!

RR,
I will repeat that DO is a good team. They will run deep in the playoffs in the D2 bracket, and my buck is on they have a high probability defending their section championship. Regarding the SFL, it makes a statement that a team from the SFL can place 3rd or 4th in league and go win a section or state title in a lower level.

I never really understood how DO was placed ahead of Folsom in the preseason ranks. Folsom has and will be the team to beat to win the SFL each year in this era. I think fans drink too much of the JoeD Kool-Aid, which is loaded with Folsom, DO, and Grant as ingredients. Mixing D1-D4 teams in the same top 20 doesn't make sense.

The only ranking that counts is the last one.

DO finished the regular season at 4-6 last year. This year they are 7-2 with only Woodcreek left on the schedule. So they are likely to finish 8-2. With the number of returning starters, and the vast improvement in the record, it is hard to see why they are worse this year. Their only 2 losses are to two of the best teams in the section.

While the last sentence is certainly true, there's notable difference in strength of schedule from last season to this season. That's the biggest reason for record improvement.

Feedback1: agree it is interesting how many hammer DO when the go 4-6 and still win state, but are now 7-2 and evidently aren't very good!

I always give DO a lot of credit when deserved. I've always been one to credit their preseason scheduling and how it hardens them for league play and the postseason. However I'm just keeping it real and calling it like I see it. They've been underwhelming this season. While I've not seen every play of every game, I've seen more than enough. And I also trust the opinion of smashmouthrick who has seen nearly every play of every game and he's been saying since game 1 that they've not been playing up to expectations or their perceived potential. It isn't just me. Their pass defense is not good. At all. And they get away from what works offensively much of the time.

Are they a good team? Absolutely. But are they as good as many of us thought a defending section champion returning so many players would be at this point in the season? Not at all, IMO.

I don't think Folsom is as good as last season either, but there is an even bigger gap between the 2 teams this season. What does that tell you?

Having said that, I fully expect them to improve like they did last season and be among the favorites for the D2 title. Having Camrion Davis back certainly helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: smashmouthrick

They are going to wind-up in the D2 playoff bracket with teams like Antelope, Grant, Central Catholic, Roseville, Inderkum and Sacramento. They have a chance if they can get it together.

As you know numbers do not tell the whole story. DO had a softer pre-league schedule this year which has helped the 7-2 record. Last year DO lost two of it's 3 pre-league games. One of those losses was to Bellarmine by 3points. This year DO beat Bellarmine by 2points and that game could have gone either way. This years Bellarmine team is not as strong/good as last years Bellarmine team as they lost a lot to graduation. Anyone following WCAL will tell you that.If you just look at DO's "W" over Bellarmine this year and do not factor in much else you may think DO is better this year than last. De La Salle has the exact same record today as they did this time last year but anyone that follows DLS know this years DLS team is not as strong/good as last years DLS team. Point being you got to see and know the teams to make a statement as I did that DO is not as strong/good this year as last. While I stand by my statement do I think DO is a bad team?...heck no. While not as good as last year they are a very good team this year.

With exception of their chronic pass coverage short comings I expect DO to do well in the playoffs. They have a history of pulling things together when it really counts. They beat a very good Camarrillo team for the state title last year where the Camarrillo team had one of the highest scoring average's in the state and a really good pass O yet DO figured out a way to contain them.

While the last sentence is certainly true, there's notable difference in strength of schedule from last season to this season. That's the biggest reason for record improvement.

I always give DO a lot of credit when deserved. I've always been one to credit their preseason scheduling and how it hardens them for league play and the postseason. However I'm just keeping it real and calling it like I see it. They've been underwhelming this season. While I've not seen every play of every game, I've seen more than enough. And I also trust the opinion of smashmouthrick who has seen nearly every play of every game and he's been saying since game 1 that they've not been playing up to expectations or their perceived potential. It isn't just me. Their pass defense is not good. At all. And they get away from what works offensively much of the time.

Are they a good team? Absolutely. But are they as good as many of us thought a defending section champion returning so many players would be at this point in the season? Not at all, IMO.

I don't think Folsom is as good as last season either, but there is an even bigger gap between the 2 teams this season. What does that tell you?

Having said that, I fully expect them to improve like they did last season and be among the favorites for the D2 title. Having Camrion Davis back certainly helps.

TR, we must have been writing at the same time as I did not see your post before I started writing my previous response. We seem to see DO through the same lens;)

See your points -- especially yours TR. And teams can be drastically different year to year, yet can achieve similar results in the end. Totally agree on Folsom assessment, they are just so good and more advanced than most of their opponents. Honestly, expect them to handle OR just fine. The Trojans did shoot themselves in the foot a few times in DO game and looked out of sorts parts of 3rd and 4th quarters, something Folsom will jump on. OR will need to play a near perfect game IMHO. Their QB was very athletic and made plays which will help. Your assessment of DO pass defense as chronic is spot on -- it was terrible vs Folsom and OR - it is less athletes and more the scheme. They could resolve it with some fairly easy scheme adjustments for the spread offenses they see.

I think you're right about the Folsom-OR game as well DO's defensive issues largely being scheme related.

I think Folsom's loss to Sacramento was a huge wake up call and they've been playing lights out ever since. They are a very well rounded team. It's too bad we won't be able to see a rematch of that game to see how differently it might play out, if at all.

Del Oro will work hard over the bye and following week of prep for Woodcreek, it remains to be seen if our offense can develop consistent drives, I can't remember so many 3 and outs. Comparing last year's team to this has always been "7 three year starters back for their sr year." Well my take is the team hasn't shown they have replaced key senior talent, CB/WR Udoffia, S/WR Burrage and some non skill ballers. Defensively we have no speed other than Mason Hurst at FS, and his younger brother soph, who is learning on the job. Returning all league LB C. White has also been out with an injury for awhile and it shows. Playoff football is Del Oro's bread and butter, but it won't happen without alot more hard work and points + momentum established in 1st quarter play. It'll be interesting in Div II with Sacramento, D.O., Grant, and Antelope possible semi's. Oak Ridge is really good this year, they outplayed D.O. all phases Friday. The best part of that night from my side of the stadium was a solid D.O. JV win; but really it was the Norcal Honor Bowl program, it was really good, generated great awareness for the student body of each school there. Mark Soto and his Honor Group did a great job. Here's a recap.

Last edited:
...Comparing last year's team to this has always been "7 three year starters back for their sr year." Well my take is the team hasn't shown they have replaced key senior talent, CB/WR Udoffia, S/WR Burrage and some non skill ballers. Defensively we have no speed other than Mason Hurst at FS, and his younger brother soph, who is learning on the job...

Agree and this is exactly what I'm referring to WRT DO not being as strong/good this year.

Udoffia and Burrage were difference makers. Because of Burrage's athleticism and speed he made a few game changing receptions in that game against Liberty of Bakersfield that without making those plays DO would likely not have gotten the W. It was a team effort but difference makers are, well, difference makers. Same with Udoffia. Udoffia made a key stop in the state championship game with his speed he was able to quickly close on a receiver and defend a pass that would have easily been 6 for Camarillo and likely a W for Camarillo. DO does not have that speed this year.

DO coaches seem to do a great job dialing in their team "parts" at the end of the year to position the team's strengths for post season.

Woodcreek is a good team and will not get overlooked.

D2 playoffs shaping up to be pretty exciting with CC, Sacramento, Antelope, Grant, Jesuit, Whitney to name a few.

CIty of Trees Football: the play was ruled illegal some time ago. The rule states: "To use a player, replaced player, substitute, coach, athletic trainer or other attendant in a substitution or pretended substitution to deceive opponents at or immediately before the snap or kick"...

Apparently whatever that play was it was legal according to what I read from this quote from OR coach posted on SacBee:
“We have been waiting for the right scenario to pull the trigger and call the play,” said Oak Rige coach Eric Cavaliere, who got the idea for the play involving Barry after watching a college game this season. “I informed the official prior to the game of this play, and was in the side judge’s ear when the play was called so he would know it was coming.”

We have been waiting for the right scenario to pull the trigger and call the play,
Right timing and execution for sure.
The league that is much more intriguing is the Delta race and what that does to the playoff brackets.
Elk grove plays Franklin and then Sheldon.
Davis plays Grant and then MT.
Both are 7-1 with Davis owning the tie.
I can see both teams losing 1 of their final two, which makes for all kinds of scenarios. If Davis winds delta they are D1, bumping EG to D2 and Jesuit back up to D1. If Grant wins out, and Sheldon wins out= EG, Davis, Grant, Sheldon all at 8-2.
I feel confident most leagues are going to finish as anticipated, but the Delta will shake everything up in the next two weeks.
How does it play out?

Right timing and execution for sure.
The league that is much more intriguing is the Delta race and what that does to the playoff brackets.
Elk grove plays Franklin and then Sheldon.
Davis plays Grant and then MT.
Both are 7-1 with Davis owning the tie.
I can see both teams losing 1 of their final two, which makes for all kinds of scenarios. If Davis winds delta they are D1, bumping EG to D2 and Jesuit back up to D1. If Grant wins out, and Sheldon wins out= EG, Davis, Grant, Sheldon all at 8-2.
I feel confident most leagues are going to finish as anticipated, but the Delta will shake everything up in the next two weeks.
How does it play out?

I expect Folsom to beat OR and take SFL so from that assumption SFL won't have much D1/D2 shuffling implications. I expect Del Oro to be the lone D2 SFL team and Woodcreek, Folsom & Oak Ridge in D1.

I'm not even going to guess implications of Delta league on brackets but agree that Delta is much more interesting WRT bracket implications than SFL.

It is OR vs Folsom for the SFL crown Friday. Seen both teams play so I'm expecting Folsom wins by a few scores.

I can't seem to figure out Woodcreek and how the game will go this week with Del Oro. Woodcreek lost to Folsom 42-21 but put up more points against Folsom than DO did. Woodcreek lost with decent margin to Oak Ridge 35-14 where DO/OR game was 2point diff. DO crushes Nevada Union but Woodcreek beats NU by only 2points. DO and WC both beat Rocklin by same margin. While I expect DO to win will it be close? I don't know enough about WC this year to know how they matchup with DO and how that translates to final score this Friday.

It is OR vs Folsom for the SFL crown Friday. Seen both teams play so I'm expecting Folsom wins by a few scores.

I am hearing OR brought up about 4-5 kids from their JV team just for this game. All to help defensively.

For OR to have a chance, I think their OL has to play lights out.

Agree SMR, OR must pressure the Folsom Q. OR appears to have a smart staff who will put them in a position to win, but it comes down to match ups and if OR doesn't have the kids to match up well, Folsom will capitalize on offense. The OR offense is dynamic and see them running well on Folsom, passing not so much. So maybe they play keep away and keep it close. For the same match up reasons is why its tough to figure out WC vs DO, the teams that did well offensively against WC are those that run the ball well, something DO does. DO's offense will put up points as they have all season, they have a great line and running backs that WC will have trouble defending. Offensively WC puts up points (except vs GB), so DO's defense will need to stop the run game which they usually do. The SFL game that is intriguing is Rocklin/GB with the outcome in part determining a playoff spot for one of three teams including WC. Rocklin was once 4-1 (with 1 point loss to Grant) and are now 4-5. That game seems to lean to GB, but no so sure.

Folsom wins by 5 or more TDs. OR's passing game isn't good. Folsom will stop the run (especially the QB running). Wouldn't be a shocker if it's a blow out.

Agree SMR, OR must pressure the Folsom Q. OR appears to have a smart staff who will put them in a position to win, but it comes down to match ups and if OR doesn't have the kids to match up well, Folsom will capitalize on offense. The OR offense is dynamic and see them running well on Folsom, passing not so much. So maybe they play keep away and keep it close. For the same match up reasons is why its tough to figure out WC vs DO, the teams that did well offensively against WC are those that run the ball well, something DO does. DO's offense will put up points as they have all season, they have a great line and running backs that WC will have trouble defending. Offensively WC puts up points (except vs GB), so DO's defense will need to stop the run game which they usually do. The SFL game that is intriguing is Rocklin/GB with the outcome in part determining a playoff spot for one of three teams including WC. Rocklin was once 4-1 (with 1 point loss to Grant) and are now 4-5. That game seems to lean to GB, but no so sure.
Delta league will likely have more playoff bracketing implications but good point WRT Rocklin/GB game. While SFL gets 4 automatic slots there still is the "at large" qualification that comes into play here as well. Can't remember a year when GB or Rocklin did not make playoffs.

5 or more TD's? I think not
Agree. Del Oro had 115yards rushing against Folsom and that was with DO, for whatever reason, making the decision to pass more than run. Folsom run D is good but OR QB will get his runs in. OR D may match up better with Folsom vs DO D. I expect Folsom by 2 scores but not by 5TD's

Reactions: RunningRon
Agree. Del Oro had 115yards rushing against Folsom and that was with DO, for whatever reason, making the decision to pass more than run. Folsom run D is good but OR QB will get his runs in. OR D may match up better with Folsom vs DO D. I expect Folsom by 2 scores but not by 5TD's
Excellent observation on DO passing, should have stayed with their run game they are very good up front, and the OR run game is very good too especially with the QB taking the ball, he is very dynamic. Anytime the QB runs, it adds the RB in the blocking scheme. OR will move the ball on the ground, through the air not so sure, but if they eat up the clock the score will remain fairly close (not a blowout). Folsom controls the ball as well as anyone, takes what the defense allows and doesn't get greedy. Agree with the 2 score differential, will be interesting to see what happens!

Reactions: smashmouthrick
Great game by both teams. I think all my kids lost their voices too!

That was a hell of a game. OR had two chances to win it. First when they went for two after scoring the TD with under a minute left. Then after Folsom stopped the two point conversion, they were penalized for the celebration so OR got to kick-off in prime position, recovered a great onside kick deep in Folsom territory, but the Bulldogs held and didn't let OR even move into range for a field goal attempt.

That was a hell of a game. OR had two chances to win it. First when they went for two after scoring the TD with under a minute left. Then after Folsom stopped the two point conversion, they were penalized for the celebration so OR got to kick-off in prime position, recovered a great onside kick deep in Folsom territory, but the Bulldogs held and didn't let OR even move into range for a field goal attempt.
It was crazy. I thought that penalty was going to kill them. Either way, great game from 2 great teams/programs. Proud to be part of all this!

Sounds like an great game between two well coached teams. OR must have come to play and/or had figured out Folsom's weak spots. Did OR play keep away or just solid defense on their part to keep Folsom off the board? 17 points is not a typical Folsom score. Amazing to think a celebration penalty and onside kick still gave OR a second chance to win it! Was at the DO-Woodcreek game, DO looked like a different team after a crazy start. DO threw two interceptions in first 3 plays, then switched to the ground game and basically pushed Woodcreek around with a well coached line and physical backs that ate up yards. Their defense basically shut down the Woodcreek veer and the Wolves scored a couple late against DO"s second stringers. Woodcreek was no match on either side of ball. Anyone see the GB-Rocklin game? Score indicates it may have been close? And looks like GB squeezes into the playoffs, but don't see them going too far.

...DO looked like a different team after a crazy start. DO threw two interceptions in first 3 plays, then switched to the ground game and basically pushed Woodcreek around with a well coached line and physical backs that ate up yards. Their defense basically shut down the Woodcreek veer and the Wolves scored a couple late against DO"s second stringers. Woodcreek was no match on either side of ball. ...

During DO's first two series they looked as if they forgot they were playing a real game and not scrimmaging them selves like they have been for the past two weeks. A bit rusty starting the game but not flat. Agree with your point on the ground game, I liked what I saw. D looked very good for the most part shutting down WC's run game and pass D was good too. I have a feeling DO is starting to develop post season mojo.

Was surprised that Rocklin lost to Granite Bay. Did Cooper make a sideline cameo last night?;)

Now on to playoff bracketing...

Folsom was very luck to win. OR played very well and could have won. The 2 point play that OR ran to win the game was a bad snap. But Folsom's defense played very well

Folsom was very luck to win. OR played very well and could have won. The 2 point play that OR ran to win the game was a bad snap. But Folsom's defense played very well

I give Folsom credit for doing something I don't see enough -- playing aggressive defense on that final series after the onside kick recovery. They did exactly what I thought OR should have done more often, which is to create pressure by sending more than 4 rushers thus making the QB have to make a quick decision and get the ball out quickly. IMO, it won them the game.

In the early going and throughout the 1st half, OR was running it really well in between the tackles. Folsom couldn't stop it. But they made really nice adjustments the 2nd half and OR was lost because they can't really throw it very consistently.

Both teams played well defensively in terms of not allowing points and stopping key 3rd and 4th down plays. In the end I think Folsom's ability to not be one dimensional and the 2nd half adjustments are what allowed them to win. They were down 10-0 early but shut the Trojans down until the game tying drive that was largely aided by a couple penalties. Too bad they misplayed the 2pt conversion because I would have like to see how it played out. But even had they converted, I'm not convinced they stop Folsom -- who still had time to get into FG range or score a TD.

Overall it was a really good game that came down to OR making a big mistake on the conversion and Folsom stepping up their game defensively when it mattered most.

BTW, does anybody know the extent of Justin Poerio's injury? That kid had a heckuva game. Even had OR been able to muster a drive in the final minute, I don't think he would have been available for a potential game-winning FG attempt. I think it was TD or bust. I believe it was a right ankle injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT