ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight's (Sat) NorCal regionals scores here

SoCal - Final: Saddleback Valley Christian 59, Kennedy 45

St Bernard's vs Saddleback Valley Christian

They've been pretty special the past 4 seasons. But, yes, to do this against a program of MC's caliber definitely says a lot.

Yes CC has been pretty good over the last few years, bur this group is definitely special and they will most likely be in a rebuilding stage next year compared to this year.

Yes CC has been pretty good over the last few years, bur this group is definitely special and they will most likely be in a rebuilding stage next year compared to this year.

I think their 2012 team was pretty special too. As great as Justin Rice is -- can't beat the Ray and Rey combo that combined for over 3600 yards rushing and 62 TD's.

You're right that next season might be a bit rough. If they do make the postseason, they'll have to play in D2.

I think their 2012 team was pretty special too. As great as Justin Rice is -- can't beat the Ray and Rey combo that combined for over 3600 yards rushing and 62 TD's.

You're right that next season might be a bit rough. If they do make the postseason, they'll have to play in D2.

Funny you should say that. My opinion of this years squad is they are probably comparable to the 12 squad as well. Along with the Ray and Rey show, was also the TE Johnny Mundt who got a D1 from Oregon. Unfortunately for that team, many will look at them and say but they had 2 losses in a lower division than they play in now, My counter argument was Vega had to sit out the first 6 games due to transfer rules and once he was activated, CC seemed to be unbeatable. No doubt they would have been 16-0 had he played whole season.

I am actually curious to see how that team would have done at the D3 level like they play in now. They would have had to play Oakdale as well that year and Oakdale went to SBG that season. Those two teams battled this year and I think it would have been the same had CC been D3 in 12. I also like the 08 squad with Louis Bland. I think that team is on par with both the 12 and 15 squad's. They hung pretty well with nationally ranked St. Bonaventure that year.

As far as D2 goes, I like the continued success rule in place by the SJS for competitive reasons, but I am not a big fan of moving a team up again the very next year should they win the new section they are in. I think the continued success rule should start over again when a team is moved. Who thinks for one second CC would have won D3 last year if they played in that section, I don't and winning D3 this year was no walk in the park having to go through Oakdale. I mean sure CC won them 2 times, but both times were very competitive games. Despite the 21-7 score in the finals, it was tied at 7 going late into 3rd quarter and than CC made it 14-7 at end of 3rd. The score probably would have stayed that way had Oakdale not gone for it on a 4th down on their own 21. They basically gift wrapped the 3rd Td to CC when they did that. My point to all this is I believe CC is competitively right where they need to be at D3 and moving them especially when they will be down next year is not cool.

Reactions: ThunderRam
I dont clai to be a master of all things SJS but am most familliar with them outside of the NS. The one thing that holds true section to section is that there are shot callers lol sometimes they do things we are baffled by and sometimes they do things that we agree with. To me the biggest reason why they force teams up is for competitive reasons and a phrase we have all gotten pretty accustomed to now days in competitive equity. The best idea to happen to football because as we all know enrollments just do not tell the whole story for a number of reasons. I think their competitive equity is right on par for d3 and I personally think they will stay there, really no one benefits from them going to d2 SJS included. However if CIF doesnt amend the rules and the SJS can pull something off like CCS and have multiple open divisions with multiple runner ups bowl eligable then I could see them being moved up since they wouldnt have to win to go on.But I have a feeling that the CIF will not be allowing multiple runner ups going forward.

I dont clai to be a master of all things SJS but am most familliar with them outside of the NS. The one thing that holds true section to section is that there are shot callers lol sometimes they do things we are baffled by and sometimes they do things that we agree with. To me the biggest reason why they force teams up is for competitive reasons and a phrase we have all gotten pretty accustomed to now days in competitive equity. The best idea to happen to football because as we all know enrollments just do not tell the whole story for a number of reasons. I think their competitive equity is right on par for d3 and I personally think they will stay there, really no one benefits from them going to d2 SJS included. However if CIF doesnt amend the rules and the SJS can pull something off like CCS and have multiple open divisions with multiple runner ups bowl eligable then I could see them being moved up since they wouldnt have to win to go on.But I have a feeling that the CIF will not be allowing multiple runner ups going forward.

The way the rule in the SJS works is any team that wins their division 3 years in a row, will be moved up to the next division the following year and should they win that section as well their first year there than they will be moved up yet again. In CC's case they won the SJS D4 3 years in a row and were moved to the SJS D3, but with one of their best teams the last few years were able to win the D3 this year and will now be in SJS D2 next year. Playing with your Grant's and Granite Bay type schools. Not cool, especially when they will be in a rebuilding year. This was actually their second year in a D3 league, but they were a 3rd place team last year in league. No way they would have won the SJS D3 if they played in that section last year

Reactions: FAR_NORTHERN
Yeah I have been fallowing cc a bit just because they have been so impressive and completely agree. I just thought there was a little wiggle on if they had to go up forsure and it would be a conversation on what to do not just necessarily moved up no questions asked.

Reactions: nascar624
Yeah I have been fallowing cc a bit just because they have been so impressive and completely agree. I just thought there was a little wiggle on if they had to go up forsure and it would be a conversation on what to do not just necessarily moved up no questions asked.

Well again, this is my understanding. If there is some wiggle room than they should look hard at CC and consider the fact they were a 3rd place team in the VOL last year, which is a D3 league. I don't think there is any dispute they were too good for D4, but most years even this year they would be hard pressed to be competitive in the D2. I hope its not black and white and the section commissioner will take a look and consider keeping CC at D3

Yeah I agree, D3 seams to be the fit. And I agree and believe that they would have been deep in the playoffs but I would not have picked them to win that d2 bracket myself.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT