ADVERTISEMENT

Top 15 Bay Area AAU Programs

Feb 8, 2015
Just moved to the Bay Area and I'm a big AAU Hoop fan and wanted to know which are the Top 15 Programs in Northern California.

Oakland Soldiers
Oakland Rebels
Lakeshow
San Francisco Rebels

PHPS
NorCal Pharaohs Elite
PHPS Renegades
YBA

I would attend a Hoops Review event to catch most of the NorCal teams.

Coach FJ,

Great list but I will be honest with you, I am not a fan of any of the top teams you have listed. In my opinion, AAU is wrecking the great game of high school basketball. There is so much one on one, no defense being played, it's an offensive showcase with there best offense being throw up any shot and let the highlights begin. I have refereed many AAU games and they some of the worst games I have ever done, I would rather ref girls high school basketball.

There are very few benefits for the kids but they get so much more with being coached by there high school coaches/programs then they would ever get from AAU. Do you think Rabb wouldn't be going to almost any college he wanted to if it weren't for AAU? They are mostly all about making money because I guarantee you one thing, if it wasn't profitable for the coaches and people running the programs, there would be no AAU.

They could care less about most of the "paying" kids on their team but more importantly about the kids that will get their program recognition and in return, they will get money from sponsors (Nike) when their programs deliver kids to certain Div I college (Arizona).

Reactions: hsfb44
I would have recommend defining "top programs." Some programs are better at different things. For example a team that wins and is considered Elite may not work on player development. Some may not practice (I don't consider open run practice). Other programs focus on teaching and training but may not be good for exposure. In the ideal world ALL programs (HS and AAU) would develop players' skill sets.

MVP Flight Elite up to 14U. They are starting high school teams this spring, and I expect they will be one of the best developmental programs around.

This post was edited on 2/9 10:56 AM by Defender4212

I would have to agree with Scout on this topic and I share most if not all of his viewpoints/opinions.

Defender, I would also have to agree with you on MVP Flight, I think it's a great programs for 14U and they do teach kids more then school yard ball. Once in high school, I would also like to see the kids play year round with there teammates and coaches.

@ NorCalScout - here's my ramble.....

First off I just wanted to point a newcomer in the directions of what he say he's a big fan of and not ignore the post.

"Don't hate the players, hate the game" is the stance I've decided to take when it comes to the "game of basketball".

Now days I can't stand most rap music, but 25 yrs ago I was close friends with 2 Live Crew and loved 2Pac, NWA and anything gangsta.

Today I wouldn't be caught dead in a pair a sneakers that cost over $100 but 25 yrs ago I had a pair of the first Jordans and Iverson's; and In the 1970's our team shoes were Chuck Taylors, but I wouldn't dare outfit a team in them now.

Where as I don't necessarily like the direction that the local high school game is going, I accept the fact it's evolving and if I don't then just like rap and tennis shoes, i will let it move on without me.

Take away the Soldiers and Rabb would be playing club ball in LA and would probably be at a prep school not in Norcal.

I think the teams I listed along with others have been a huge benefit in making Northern California a national must recruit area as we have kids playing at schools all over the United States

For every one club team that has shoe sponsorship or makes a dime for delivering a kid to a program; there are hundreds that borrow money to cover cost to go to national tournaments and hundreds more that barely have the money to play in local tournaments. I gaurantee you some of them Soldier coaches have spent plenty of their own money over the years to get where they are today and even more of their own money to stay at that level.

Hey at least you're smart enough to get paid to watch bad basketball. :0)

Good list of AAU programs. But honestly to the poster you should get familiar with some of the best HS programs as well because you would be doing an injustice by not checking them out. Also why not support HS athletics. I would be willing to bet 95% of us benefited from them in some form or another. Plus the games themselves tend to be so much more exciting and meaningful especially come playoff time. There is a ton of good info on this website.

FJ- I actually think the HS game has sort of corrected itself after that debacle of an era with the "AND1 TOUR". I still wake up with nightmares watching "THE PROFESSOR" and all that garbage. The game now is very good and the quality of players and play is generally vastly improved. The shot clock did wonders as well IMO. But to win and win late in the season you have to be good both on the floor and with the X and O's. Yeah keep the chuck taylors. I'm not sure I could even play in the converse weapons anymore. those were tanks.

Hi it took a lot of thinking before I commented on this. But I feel compelled to do so. My name is Nate Ford and I'm the founder of the SF Rebels. I'm also employed by BGCSF and get paid pretty well. I want to defend the myth that AAU is s cash cow. For me I can say I get paid the same if I do the Rebels or not. Now I will say some people do run programs to make a lil money for their time and efforts but cash cow? No way. The cost and expenses often lead coaches to dig in their pockets to make trips happen. There is cost of gym space as well. Our high school players pay 0. I'm very fortunate to have the backing of bgcsf to foot the bill. I also have the luxury of having my own facilities. While I do agree with kids playing high school year round. It just is not the reality and without these programs the kids would not get as much exposure. Sure there are some bad apples but there are a lot more good apples as we'll.

Nate, please keep up the great work and I appreciate your response. You are the exception rather than the rule, so my hats off to you and your program.

I think AAU is good for the very things you guys mention mainly exposure to colleges and playing against top talent...but with the high school season seems as though all the kids know each other thru AAU and are friends..And while when they play everyone is going hard just doesn't seem like there are no real nasty rivalry games anymore. Games where the teams don't like each other and won't crush each other. Now the kids tweet and Facebook each other before their games against each other.....I don't know maybe I'm nitpicking just wish some of the games had more edge...

no you right...

hugging before games, laughing and talking during games;

Originally posted by Coach FJ:
Oakland Soldiers
Oakland Rebels
Lakeshow
San Francisco Rebels

PHPS
NorCal Pharaohs Elite
PHPS Renegades
YBA

I would attend a Hoops Review event to catch most of the NorCal teams.
Strange how 'ASA Prime' isn't on this list... I've seen them play nearly all of those teams and if they haven't beaten them, they've played them ridiculously tough. Matter of fact, I think the only team they may not have beaten was the Soldiers... They're one of the few AAU teams I've seen that actually play man to man defense all game, no zone and stress fundamentals rather than individual talent.

Flight Elite has some good coaches but for some reason doesn't go to Reno for Memorial Day Tourney, which is the premier event out West but goes to Tahoe to play in 4 or 8 team tourneys v. lesser competition. Hard to claim Elite status if they won't compete there.

To be fair Flight goes to premier events all over the country. The teams that are in Reno during that weekend are all teams they would have seen at other times of the year, in other places. Last year the travel teams went to L.A. twice, Portland, and New Orleans. They played elite competition.

Hi Rebelmafia,

With all of its flaws, I think AAU basketball has been great for players and hasn't hurt the high school brand at all. Even it the top talent left High School basketball for Club basketball new talent would emerge at the high school ranks. The top players on most High School teams are the AAU Players as compared to the Rec Player or even the play ground player in Northern Ca. Many High School coaches talk more now about wanting their players to play on competitive AAU teams. And coach no need to defend your cost and a stipend for your time and expertise. If I decided you are worth it, I will pay it.

This post was edited on 2/13 1:57 PM by TheFolsomGuy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT