Hall of Famer
May 11, 2008
WCAL Baseball Playoffs

Round 1 Tues. May 7, 2019. Games at 4:00pm:

Riordan at Valley Christian
St. Ignatius at Serra
Sacred Heart Cathedral at Mitty
Bellarmine at St. Francis

Semi-Finals Wednesday, May 8th at 4:00pm and 7:00pm at Santa Clara University.

Final on Thursday, May 9th at 7:00pm @ Santa Clara University.

It's not a stretch to state that Valley Christian is the obvious WCAL playoff favorite. Still, the Warriors did have two league losses in a year when overall competition was reasonably good for teams one-through-7. The one exception was No. 8 Riordan which was overmatched throughout, losing all 14 league games, often by large margins. In fact, Riordan's entire spring sports menu was a nightmare in 2019. Competing in four WCAL varsity sports, the Crusaders posted a combined 1-47 mark in league action. Riordan does not participate in WCAL lacrosse, swimming or volleyball.

It's not a stretch to state that Valley Christian is the obvious WCAL playoff favorite. Still, the Warriors did have two league losses in a year when overall competition was reasonably good for teams one-through-7. The one exception was No. 8 Riordan which was overmatched throughout, losing all 14 league games, often by large margins. In fact, Riordan's entire spring sports menu was a nightmare in 2019. Competing in four WCAL varsity sports, the Crusaders posted a combined 1-47 mark in league action. Riordan does not participate in WCAL lacrosse, swimming or volleyball.

As far fetched as it sounds, I could actually see VC lose in the WCAL playoffs only to go on and win CCS.

Stranger thing have happened. But, in baseball it about one day/game matchups and the guy on the bump in particular can control a game.

As far fetched as it sounds, I could actually see VC lose in the WCAL playoffs only to go on and win CCS.

Stranger thing have happened. But, in baseball it about one day/game matchups and the guy on the bump in particular can control a game.

IMHO There are 5, maybe 6 teams that have a legitimate shot to win the WCAL playoffs.

The advantage VC has is they don’t have to use their #1 or #2 pitchers in the first round.

Reactions: bella123
IMHO There are 5, maybe 6 teams that have a legitimate shot to win the WCAL playoffs.

The advantage VC has is they don’t have to use their #1 or #2 pitchers in the first round.

Absolutely agree. Of course if another team throws their #1 or #2 it changes the whole complexion. Nothing worse than losing 1-0 with your studs on the sideline to “save” them for the next game that now ain’t happening.

WCAL Baseball Playoffs

Round 1 Tues. May 7, 2019. Games at 4:00pm:

Riordan at Valley Christian
St. Ignatius at Serra
Sacred Heart Cathedral at Mitty
Bellarmine at St. Francis

Semi-Finals Wednesday, May 8th at 4:00pm and 7:00pm at Santa Clara University.

Final on Thursday, May 9th at 7:00pm @ Santa Clara University.
Serra beat SI 3-1
Valley Christian beat Riordan.
St. Francis beat Bellarmine 10-2
Mitty beat SHC.

Some of the scores on Twitter weren't listed.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Looks like SI has a good shot to get an at large. Even though they had 2 more losses in league than SHC, they had a better non league record in their 8 non league games [still have Burlingame(A) Saturday] that count in their last 22 towards CCS pts.) and played more A league teams in those games than SHC did. SI played 6 'A" teams, SHC only played 3.

Plus SHC lost to a 'B' team in their last 8 that got them 0 CCS pts. If they scheduled an A team from say the PAL Bay, SCVAL, etc, just showed upped and played, SHC would've had a pt. If they won that game would've been 3pts.

SI is going to get in with a 4-10 league record, same as SHC had in 2018 in league, but they didn't get in the tournament.
SHC is a good competitive team that could make a run in D2, but for 2 yrs in a row I think bad scheduling in those 8 games has cost them a chance to compete in CCS. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Looks like SI has a good shot to get an at large. Even though they had 2 more losses in league than SHC, they had a better non league record in their 8 non league games [still have Burlingame(A) Saturday] that count in their last 22 towards CCS pts.) and played more A league teams in those games than SHC did. SI played 6 'A" teams, SHC only played 3.

Plus SHC lost to a 'B' team in their last 8 that got them 0 CCS pts. If they scheduled an A team from say the PAL Bay, SCVAL, etc, just showed upped and played, SHC would've had a pt. If they won that game would've been 3pts.

SI is going to get in with a 4-10 league record, same as SHC had in 2018 in league, but they didn't get in the tournament.
SHC is a good competitive team that could make a run in D2, but for 2 yrs in a row I think bad scheduling in those 8 games has cost them a chance to compete in CCS. Just my opinion.
Isn't there a WCAL rule that won't allow a team lower in the standings in the league to get into the CCS over a team that's above them in the standings?
Also, if they didn't get in, it wouldn't be because of bad scheduling, it would be bad luck. They lost two games in the Boras Classic that went 11 and 12 innings each they easily could have won. There were also some rainouts. In any event, they should get in over SI. The seeding meeting is today.

Last edited:
Isn't there a WCAL rule that won't allow a team lower in the standings in the league to get into the CCS over a team that's above them in the standings?
Also, if they didn't get in, it wouldn't be because of bad scheduling, it would be bad luck. They blew two games in the Boras Classic that went 11 and 12 innings each they easily could jave won. There were also some rainouts. In any event, they should get in over SI. The seeding meeting is today.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Cheers. I'm sure a few teams can say the same thing regarding 'luck' for the outcome of the game not going their way and effecting their CCS pt total. Rain outs played into affect for a lot of teams teams this year. Look at Burlingame, they had rainouts vs Aragon(PAL Ocean Champ), Leland(BVAL 2nd) and Serra. Those games would have would have been in their last 22. I am of the opinion is is bad scheduling for the last 2 years in SHC last 22 games.
Going to the Boras Classic the last 2 years and going 1-7, cost SHC a chance to compete in CCS the last 2 years. On paper, yes there are some traditionally named schools that have been successful over the years in the Boras, but if they don't have as .750 winning %, they are classified as a 'B' team. As is the case this year with them playing St Mary's and Casa Grande...and losing to St Mary's they got Zero CCS pts.
IMO playing 'A' teams from say the PAL Bay, SCVAL, BVAL, etc, would have given SHC a better shot to collect a few more points for CCS, especially when year in and year out SHC is fighting for that 5th place in the WCAL and the automatic bid, and the last 2 years they fell short of getting in by 3 pts or less.

Last edited:
If SHC does not slip into the CCS playoffs, it's unfortunate because their performance in the WCAL was exemplary, albeit a losing league record in the end.

Reactions: Barking Dog
SI is playing Burlingame today rescheduled from a rainout in March. 1pt just for showing up and playing. 3pts for a win. I say good for SI(and Burlingame)for rescheduling this game so late and picking up those CCS pts. SHC could've tried to do the same thing today, as they havent played since Tues. Even if they did make it to the WCAL Championship game(WCAL tournament games don't count toward CCS pts) played on Thurs, they very well could grabbed a game for Sat to try to get some more pts to ad to their pt total, especially if they had rainouts. SHC coaching staff had to have been aware that the margin for getting in was razor thin again this year and not just relied on a 6-8 league and 15-11 overall records would get them in.
A couple other PAL Bay teams are doing that today. Sacred Heart Prep is playing San Benito and Kings Academy is playing Pioneer. Both 'A' teams. Sacred Heart Prep came in 6th in the PAL Bay, but 6 of 8 non in last 22 are vs 'A' teams(2 league champs too) and the 'B' they lost to was a 'B' league Champ....and they are going to get in as a 6th place PAL Bay team, same as SHC in the WCAL. Even Hillsdale who went 4-10 in the PAL Bay and came in 7th in the PAL Bay is projected to get in. Reason...better 8 non league in last 22 than SHC.
IMO, great job of knowing the CCS pt system and letting the system work for you as a bottom half WCAL team, by the rookie(I mean that with respect) SI coach, and poor knowledge of the CCS pt system and making it work for you as a bottom half WCAL team by the veteran(I mean that with respect) SHC coach. Again, IMO SHC scheduling has cost SHC and its competitive teams the last 2 yrs to complete in CCS. But I guess going 10-18 in league, 1-7 in the Boras and Zero CCS appearances the last 2 years and being 15th in the Maxpreps rankings is ok for SHC.

If SHC does not slip into the CCS playoffs, it's unfortunate because their performance in the WCAL was exemplary, albeit a losing league record in the end.

Couldn't agree with you more Col. Unfortunately CCS is based on a body of work overall, not just the WCAL schedule and SHC doesn't seem to be able to grasp that concept. Having Mission(AAA), Lincoln(AAA) and Mills(2-23 in 2019) in your last 22, with a game to spare on your schedule(SHC played 26 of 27 games allowed by CCS, not including league playoffs) is, again, IMO not good scheduling by SHC....especially when year in and year out SHC is always fighting in the grind of the WCAL, just to trying to vie for 5th place place and an automatic bid.

Just have a play in game between SI and SHC and stop bantering over schedule. Obviously their respective non-league schedules helped neither get through the rigors of WCAL play. Each would need a punchers chance in first week of CCS, anyway. Sounds like a parents debate (not a bad thing).

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Bantering due to my own frustration as a fan of SHC. Disappointed that they wont have the opportunity to participate in CCS again this year. Also disappointed that they have a great opportunity to play 'A' teams in their own backyard with the PAL Bay and they don't. My guess is that there isn't a team in the Bay that wouldn't want to schedule a game with SHC. Playing a WCAL school I'm sure is a highlight for all public schools schedule. It benefits their program. Benefits the WCAL programs schedule too if playing an 'A' league CCS public school.

I think they will make it. Wins v SF, Mitty and Serra during league have to mean something. This team played better than their 2018 squad IMO. Besides as a City Native I respect SHC sticking to their AAA roots and playing a couple city schools. In fact the Joe Cronin Memorial Game v Mission has been well-attended and competitive the last few years.

But I agree maybe one or two PAL games a year may help with this point system.

It was simpler in my day. You only got into CCS if you won league or runner-up (in later years).

Last edited:
Would love to see them in the tournament too, as I think they will be absolutely able to complete and maybe win a game or to, where they would be placed in D2 or D3. Unfortunately the points won't add up for them to get that shot.
Totally agree with you in regards to SHC sticking to their AAA roots and playing those games. Tradition is a good thing, especially in San Francisco, where being native these days isn't the norm. I'm just saying, play those game in your 1st 5 games and get after the last 22 with a little more thought to scheduling , to gain as many CCS pts as possible.

Last edited:
For the record, the WCAL was 7-3-1 vs. the PAL Bay in 2019 regular season. PAL Bay recorded all three wins vs. Riordan. The Crusaders also beat Hillsdale and tied Sacred Heart Prep. SI was 2-0 vs. the PAL Bay, beating Terra Nova and Burlingame; SHC was 1-0, defeating Menlo School. So the three SF schools were 4-3-1 vs. the PAL Bay.

WCAL city team benefiting playing a Bay 'A' team. Burlingame didn't have to play this game to get into CCS. SI did probably.

Last edited:
Would love to see them in the tournament too, as I think they will be absolutely able to complete and maybe win a game or to, where they would be placed in D2 or D3. Unfortunately the points won't add up for them to get that shot.
Totally agree with you in regards to SHC sticking to their AAA roots and playing those games. Tradition is a good thing, especially in San Francisco, where being native these days isn't the norm. I'm just saying, play those game in your 1st 5 games and get after the last 22 with a little more thought to scheduling , to gain as many CCS pts as possible.
Yes. I believe both games v Mission and Lincoln were originally scheduled in February, but rains pushed them back on multiple ocassions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT