ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Gearing Up for the Season!

Do we have a faint whiff of the Trinity League wafting through the ether? Riordan is far from the only WCAL outfit in the crosshairs of rivals, both public and private.

Reactions: Serrapadre13
Lots of activity in the WCAL this Spring. New coaches at St. Ignatius and Bellarmine should continue and improve their already successful programs. Perennial favorites St. Francis and Serra have a great core returning and continue reloading with strong freshman classes. Mitty loses a lot, but program is on the upswing with their HC of the year. VC returns a good amount of players and SHC looks to continue their upswing.
Riordan looks to improve with Coach Adhir in his 2nd season with the Crusaders. They return a good core and a promising freshman class.
SI is going to be a juggernaut. They basically beat #10 Menlo-Atherton yesterday in their scrimmage and will only continue to get better as the season goes. Don't be suprised if they get the upset @ San Ramon Valley

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
SI is going to be a juggernaut. They basically beat #10 Menlo-Atherton yesterday in their scrimmage and will only continue to get better as the season goes. Don't be suprised if they get the upset @ San Ramon Valley

Who had MA ranked #10 anywhere ? Maxpreps has them ranked #38 in the Bay Area, #18 in the CCS and near #260 in California?

C-Henry,
Don’t you think if one city program gets a lot of press, others drum up false noise?

Scrimmages are the opportunity to test your players in a structured scenario with another team or even multiple teams. Winning scrimmages is really a non-item. You can make some assumptions about a team from scrimmage plays. But "winning" scrimmages has illusive meanings.

C-Henry,
Don’t you think if one city program gets a lot of press, others drum up false noise?
SI is going to be a definite factor in the WCAL, perhaps not at the level of Serra but certainly competitive with the other six schools. They are ripe to make a move. Check out their roster. Impressive. Taking them lightly will be a big mistake. The 2024 season may well see them make a run at a league title.

Someone told me today at Mass, “the Div III City program has a solid chance for a State Run”

What are the thoughts here?

Should we bring back the “Kings of Kezar”

• Haha
SI is going to be a definite factor in the WCAL, perhaps not at the level of Serra but certainly competitive with the other six schools. They are ripe to make a move. Check out their roster. Impressive. Taking them lightly will be a big mistake. The 2024 season may well see them make a run at a league title.

What will that Riordan vs SI game look like this year?

• Haha
This season might be quite a rarity if the 3 SF schools might finish higher in the league standings than the 3 SJ schools. Some of the consensus have picked Mitty to be dead last, VC who knows if they have regained any past glory, and Bellarmine with an abrupt departure of their coach who was bringing them back to what they were used to.

I like that all the noise this summer was directed at Riordan and SI. SH has been quietly building in the background. No way can you replace Mixon and Miller, but they solid senior leadership in McGrath at QB and Young at DL. The Hatch brothers are rock-solid on the line. And they have extremely talented and skilled sophomores in Campbell III and Williams. Im loving their extremely tough non-league schedule. No cupcakes here. Just competing at the highest levels. Cant wait to see the season unfold!

Interesting take. With Coach Vandermade coming from Mater Dei, he couldn't get ex-Monarch Peter Langi to come to SI, despite R losing to SI and a 3-7 record last season. It seems Serra, Riordan and St. Francis are seeing Polynesian kids go to their schools.

As with any middle schooler who wants to attend SI, grades, solid study habits and an ability to handle pre-college work limit who can gain admission to that Sunset District campus. Remedial courses are typically not a regular staple there. The emphasis on high academic standards and classroom rigor is paramount. This is similar to Bellarmine, another Jesuit institution.

Going coed was a huge shift for Riordan, financially. They now have a CCS CBED of 1,056 students. Conservatively, let’s say they’ve been able to add 300 kids to overall enrollment, at $15k net average per year (including financial aid and parent pledge donations), that is an extra $4.5M per year for the budget.
Adding females also has a cost factor. They don't show up free. More teachers, more administrators, renovated facilities, etc. all have to be factored into the equation. The real Crusader bonanza is in the dormitory program. Those students pay what amounts to double for their room and board ($34,000). The excess, perhaps as much as $1 million, can be applied to the school's operating budget or capital costs.

• Haha
This season might be quite a rarity if the 3 SF schools might finish higher in the league standings than the 3 SJ schools. Some of the consensus have picked Mitty to be dead last, VC who knows if they have regained any past glory, and Bellarmine with an abrupt departure of their coach who was bringing them back to what they were used to.

I like that all the noise this summer was directed at Riordan and SI. SH has been quietly building in the background. No way can you replace Mixon and Miller, but they solid senior leadership in McGrath at QB and Young at DL. The Hatch brothers are rock-solid on the line. And they have extremely talented and skilled sophomores in Campbell III and Williams. Im loving their extremely tough non-league schedule. No cupcakes here. Just competing at the highest levels. Cant wait to see the season unfold!
I would have to say the noise has come throughout the entire league. I don't recall such pettiness being spewed. "Disruptors" to the WCAL norm (either new coaches, shift in program focus, etc.) that started in the Spring through now have seemed to caused the stir . I do see the league being stronger because of all the activity. It all starts this weekend!

As with any middle schooler who wants to attend SI, grades, solid study habits and an ability to handle pre-college work limit who can gain admission to that Sunset District campus. Remedial courses are typically not a regular staple there. The emphasis on high academic standards and classroom rigor is paramount. This is similar to Bellarmine, another Jesuit institution.
I agree completely. Its why I mentioned possible 8th graders going into 9th grade and not high school transfers. It might be easier to come in from the start especially at academic schools like SI and Bellarmine.

Adding females also has a cost factor. They don't show up free. More teachers, more administrators, renovated facilities, etc. all have to be factored into the equation. The real Crusader bonanza is in the dormitory program. Those students pay what amounts to double for their room and board ($34,000). The excess, perhaps as much as $1 million, can be applied to the school's operating budget or capital costs.
I like a lot of your opinions, but I don’t know anyone who works at a Catholic school who would agree with you on this one. The costs are minimal compared to the huge financial gain of going coed. That’s why schools do it (SI, SHC, and Riordan included).

And I don’t know about Riordan specifically, but international students at other privates pay way more than $34k.

I like a lot of your opinions, but I don’t know anyone who works at a Catholic school who would agree with you on this one. The costs are minimal compared to the huge financial gain of going coed. That’s why schools do it (SI, SHC, and Riordan included).

And I don’t know about Riordan specifically, but international students at other privates pay way more than $34k.
The Riordan website is clear. Regular tuition is $24,500. Foreign boarding students pay $58,000. Typical room and board at local schools is around $16,000. Riordan is charging double for its R&B.

The Riordan website is clear. Regular tuition is $24,500. Foreign boarding students pay $58,000. Typical room and board at local schools is around $16,000. Riordan is charging double for its R&B.
I've seen that it's more than just R&B @ Riordan. Weekend trips to museums, Bay Area tourist destinations, dining at local restaurants, campus visits to Cal and Stanford, tours to tech companies, Giants games, transportation to Riordan road games for football and basketball, etc. are all part of the Boarding Program experience.

Last edited:
Boarding Student
Tuition: $60,000
Application Fee: $100

International Day Student
Tuition: $35,000

In any case, I agree that the international program helped Riordan survive in the ‘10s, and probably helped a lot of staff keep their jobs, but it’s nothing compared to the enrollment boost of going coed. It’s the best thing any Catholic school can do to remain viable, as it also allows them to be more selective down the line.

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Boarding Student

In any case, I agree that the international program helped Riordan survive in the ‘10s, and probably helped a lot of staff keep their jobs, but it’s nothing compared to the enrollment boost of going coed. It’s the best thing any Catholic school can do to remain viable, as it also allows them to be more selective down the line.
Maybe not "any" Catholic school. DLS, Bellarmine, Serra, Servite, etc. have managed to survive by remaining all-male. For others, however, not so much. Palma is the latest to head for a coed future. Your point is certainly valid in many cases. A final note re Bellarmine. The Jesuit school, now over 160-years-old, has nearly 1,700 boys on its College Park campus. The eighth-grade application numbers are huge. So is the waiting list for admission. Demand for entrance is impressive and ongoing. Bellarmine remains one of the largest all-male Catholic high schools in the U.S. It continues to thrive by maintaining outstanding academic standards, modern facilities, quality extra-curricular offerings (including athletics) and an alumni network that has connections and influence throughout Silicon Valley and beyond. Quite a story.

Reactions: RLS13 and lt1488
I am not a Bellarmine grad, but I have much respect for what they do. Amazing enrollment numbers, as you mention.

I am not a Bellarmine grad, but I have much respect for what they do. Amazing enrollment numbers, as you mention.
I have come across so many Bellarmine alum as well the other WCAL schools (Serra, Mitty, VC, SI, etc.) through college and my career. We always show great respect for each other as well as boisterous bantering back and forth when upcoming games are to be played. To outsiders it's hard to for them to understand the WCAL Brotherhood.

Boarding Student

Keep in mind these schools have financial scholarships available. At SI 25% are on financial aid with the average grant of $15,000.

Keep HOPE alive, sounds like SHC is channeling Glide Memorial

Maybe not "any" Catholic school. DLS, Bellarmine, Serra, Servite, etc. have managed to survive by remaining all-male. For others, however, not so much. Palma is the latest to head for a coed future. Your point is certainly valid in many cases. A final note re Bellarmine. The Jesuit school, now over 160-years-old, has nearly 1,700 boys on its College Park campus. The eighth-grade application numbers are huge. So is the waiting list for admission. Demand for entrance is impressive and ongoing. Bellarmine remains one of the largest all-male Catholic high schools in the U.S. It continues to thrive by maintaining outstanding academic standards, modern facilities, quality extra-curricular offerings (including athletics) and an alumni network that has connections and influence throughout Silicon Valley and beyond. Quite a story.
Your note on Bellarmine is sooo on point. It would be a miracle if Bellarmine went coed

SHC lost to a very good PITT team. They sorely needed Campbell but his family moved to Concord it looks like. A beast all the way.....On the bright side Williams looked pretty good but he can't do it all himself. Lets see how they look against SHP this week, time will tell more. The frosh tied Pittsburg so that is a good sign.

SHC lost to a very good PITT team. They sorely needed Campbell but his family moved to Concord it looks like. A beast all the way.....On the bright side Williams looked pretty good but he can't do it all himself. Lets see how they look against SHP this week, time will tell more. The frosh tied Pittsburg so that is a good sign.
Campbell III was a bonafide D1 player, if not in football, in wrestling. Man that sucks. Legend Williams aside from a few receptions to Griffin Merrit was pretty much all the offense for SH last Saturday. Granted this was against a top 10 team, the Irish are going to need to figure out how to get others more involved. Williams wont last the whole year if they depend on him that much like on Saturday vs Pitt. You could totally see him getting up slower and slower in the 2nd half. Pitt defense really took their licks on him.

What school is he at?

why would a D1 prospect bury themselves at one of the worst programs in Northern California?

Found Mt. Diablo's website... Antonio Campbell is on the roster there, too. Grand total of 14 players on that roster.

Guessing Campbell plays both ways, and special teams.

Edit: MaxPreps has quite few more than that on the roster, close to 30, but not Campbell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT