ADVERTISEMENT

What would you do?

Coach_Case

Superstar
Jul 29, 2019
Hey Guys, I’m considering my next coaching commitment and have a lot of respect and trust in you guys. Please feel free to share a piece of advice. I would really appreciate it.

After many years as a AAU Head Coach and coaching camps nationwide, last year I took on a varsity program with no history of success, coming off of a season in which graduated 83% of the previous year’s scoring. I had one returning varsity starter, a sophomore, and three girls who scored less than 20 points the previous season. I had no JV or Freshman teams to draw from. I was let go after one year because we finished 4-20. If it wasn’t for the relationships built with the girls, I would consider it a really horrible coaching experience.

Months ago, I was contacted about a few positions at schools with similar records and talent. I’m considering a position as an assistant at school with a history of great NCS success. Also several of the current girls I coached in middle school and AAU.

Would you take the assistant position for a few years over a head position available now?

My hope is to impliment a plan and build a program while positively investing as much as I can into girls lives.

I hope this post isn’t a violation of the rules. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

I don't think anyone can truly give you input on this as this is very much about you and what you want. Both are positive choices, but what is the best fit for you?

If your true plan is to build a program, then in considering an assistant position you need to make sure it fits into your plan. Is there a chance you could become a head coach there? If not, then this needs to be a place where you can be a sponge and learn every day from someone you respect. This place needs to have a staff that holds the same values and philosophies as you, not the same X's and O's, but creates a culture you truly feel you can value being a part of. If they don't fit into your plan, and you are name chasing, then it sounds like your decision is easy. Heck, maybe you need some "guaranteed" success after a horrible experience. That's ok too. Again this is about your journey. No one is going to knock you for either decision, but you will be the one that has to live with it. On the bright side, none of this has to be long term if you don't want it to. Try something out, if you don't like it or it wasn't what you expected then you can move on. I'm sure even in your last year you took away plenty to learn from. It's never time wasted if you are learning and growing.

Go with your gut bro.

As a long-time assistant and long-time head coach, I'd say take the head coaching job, even at a school that needs rebuilding. Hopefully you'll get a little more leash and have time to start putting together a resume.

Being an assistant can be valuable, but it depends on how much the head coach lets you do, and how much a future AD values association with a winning program. Some ADs -- and I would be one if I were in that position -- want high school head coaching experience because the head job is much different than being an assistant.

But as OnBall8 says, it's not something someone on the outside can really determine. It's whatever works for you ...

Reactions: Coach_Case
A coach has different stages in their career......what stage are you in currently?

If you are hungry to prove yourself as a coach and want to go through trying to figure out the high school coaching scenery from the head coaches seat it comes with as you found out last year a lot of ups and downs. Most of it political BS from admin and parents who don't understand the time and dedication it takes to just show up let alone build and maintain a respectable program from the ground up year after year.

HS head coaching if done right is a year round undertaking, not a seasonal thing like it once was.
Since you already coach AAU at below HS age you know what it is like to coach year round. HS head coaching comes with a different set of rules and expectations than AAU and that's why A LOT of AAU ONLY coaches would not survive HS head coaching.

If you are at a stage in your coaching career where you just want to want to teach the game and impact young lives without the responsibility (headaches) of a head HS coach, then assisting someone you respect in a respectable program is a nice way to stay in the gym and making a difference. Like Clay said, if your head coach allows you to work with kids and uses your knowledge regularly, you make a difference and don't have to sit in the hot seat as a head coach.

If you feel you have to prove yourself as a coach and that validation comes from building a winning program at the high school level then go for the head coaching job. If you are in it to help kids and still grow the game and don't need the recognition, then assisting is a great gig. A lot of the times a head coach is only as good as his/her assts. Good assistants are going to help make the marginal players into good players. A good head coach should help those good players then become great players. If you head coach in a program that has all marginal players then you better find some good assistants and lower level coaches or be prepared as a head coach to be in that gym year round with all those kids.
A great assistant is worth their weight in gold!!!

Best of luck to you whatever you decide!

Hey Guys, I’m considering my next coaching commitment and have a lot of respect and trust in you guys. Please feel free to share a piece of advice. I would really appreciate it.

After many years as a AAU Head Coach and coaching camps nationwide, last year I took on a varsity program with no history of success, coming off of a season in which graduated 83% of the previous year’s scoring. I had one returning varsity starter, a sophomore, and three girls who scored less than 20 points the previous season. I had no JV or Freshman teams to draw from. I was let go after one year because we finished 4-20. If it wasn’t for the relationships built with the girls, I would consider it a really horrible coaching experience.

Months ago, I was contacted about a few positions at schools with similar records and talent. I’m considering a position as an assistant at school with a history of great NCS success. Also several of the current girls I coached in middle school and AAU.

Would you take the assistant position for a few years over a head position available now?

My hope is to impliment a plan and build a program while positively investing as much as I can into girls lives.

I hope this post isn’t a violation of the rules. Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Coach Case, go where you will have the most fun and contribute to the success of the kids in the program. Rest is noise anyway, and don't let the egoic part of Head Coach vs Asst Coach make your decision for you, it will all turn out good regardless. There will be plenty of us rooting for your success. Stay blessed. Cheers.

I’m really thankful and humbled to hear from all of you guys. It’s exactly the kind of wisdom needed in making a decision. I appreciate everything you guys said.

OnBall8, I’m going to “go with my gut” and where I will be the most happy.

ClayK, I’m taking your advice to from now on find out as much as possible about the AD and administration. Any coach, no matter how successful, is going to need some leash to build a program. It’s important that our values are similar.

StepSlide, Thanks for taking the time to write such a response. You are right. The jobs are very different. Having less responsibility as a assistant gives me more time to talk individually with players and focus on development and reaching their personal potential.

Dnambisan, It means a lot to have you rooting for me. You words really blessed me. Thanks for reminding me that it’s about having fun.

I can’t thank you guys enough for your words of encouragement. It’s been many months of reflecting on the positives and negatives of last season’s experience. You are right, we learn from both the good and the bad. One thing I heard after being let go that has really helped is, “a good coach leaves a program in better shape than he inherited it.” That is what I am most proud of after the relationships built.

I’ll post an update when things are official.

Reactions: GBBall4L
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT