ADVERTISEMENT

Why keep statistics if you don't use them?

TurtleLoveCA

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2015
Some teams don't keep detailed stats and while I believe that is foolish, what is really crazy is keeping detailed stats and not using them. Don't you want to know if one of your players shoots 22% on 3 pointers at home? Don't you want to know if there's another venue where that same player shoots greater than 50%?

Not talking one game, but multiple games so that the statistics mean something.

I want to know when my point guard has more assists than turnovers.

Doesn't it matter to you when you find a player that shoots twice as well from 2 point range AND draws a ton of fouls?

I must be a complete idiot because that stuff matters to me.

Stats in high school don't mean anything. Stats are good for individual development and that's it. For pros u can determine who's more efficient and who to use in a certain situation but u can't do anything in high school unless your loaded like sac high. Who cares if your top wing shoots 78% at home and 38% on the road? He's still gonna play most of the game.

Nonsense. I want to show my player that takes an inordinate number of 3's that he's scoring far more per possession on drives or vice versa. Wake up

U should wake up. You're obviously in the minority since u had to post this in the first place. I honestly believe every coach would love to implement stats but on this level it's an uphill battle. Balancing practice, school work and being teenagers with stat analysis for kids is pointless. Only 5% of kids, if that, would take advantage. That's why sir, no one uses them.

I guarantee you the non-quantifiable stat that trumps any recorded stat that matters in high school is effort. If you get 8-10 of your kids to play with effort to go with smarts and execution, that team will more likely than not be winning that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT