ADVERTISEMENT

Wilcox-Menlo Atherton Takeaways

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Wilcox advanced to the CCS Division I semi-finals with a 42-35 overtime win over Menlo-Atherton. It will play the winner of Serra and Half Moon Bay.

Wilcox offense vs. Menlo-Atherton defense

Even if you have a good idea what is coming, it can be hard to corral. Wilcox is dialed in with its run game with a few wrinkles on outside runs and passes over the middle. On Friday, they were able to control clock and flash their explosiveness, led by Paul M Rosa. The Chargers did a good job most of the night in playing at good down and distance situations. Menlo-Atherton forced two turnovers on downs and got a fumble recovery at its three yard line.

Menlo-Atherton offense vs. Wilcox defense

The Bears relied on big plays in the passing game over longer, time consuming drives. Quarterback Matt Macleod made some nice plays moving around in the pocket and he has a strong receiving group with Troy Franklin, Jalen Moss and Justin Anderson. They hit plays mostly through the deep ball down the sideline. Wilcox had two second half sacks on third downs to stall a pair of drives.

Special Teams

Troy Franklin had a 95 yard kickoff return taken off the board due to penalty. Menlo-Atherton missed a 37 yard field goal in the fourth quarter. Combined, the teams went 13-for-13 on PATs.

Wilcox looked to be the more disciplined team (with a couple talented kids) and flew all over the field (seemed higher intensity level) although MA has overall superior athletes. Was a fun game to watch since both teams were polar opposites on offense. The coach at Wilcox has those kids buying in big to the system. Will be interesting if he can keep it going. They've always had a good one or two RBs as far as I remember but they have the o-line firing and looking very good and defense swarms. The may have had a one f their upcoming underclass somewhat weak coming up, but seems they can keep it going at least being competitive with their system. MA seems to be a pool of talent and with Franklin returning and other talent probably are a reload.

Wilcox advanced to the CCS Division I semi-finals with a 42-35 overtime win over Menlo-Atherton. It will play the winner of Serra and Half Moon Bay.

Wilcox offense vs. Menlo-Atherton defense

Even if you have a good idea what is coming, it can be hard to corral. Wilcox is dialed in with its run game with a few wrinkles on outside runs and passes over the middle. On Friday, they were able to control clock and flash their explosiveness, led by Paul M Rosa. The Chargers did a good job most of the night in playing at good down and distance situations. Menlo-Atherton forced two turnovers on downs and got a fumble recovery at its three yard line.

Menlo-Atherton offense vs. Wilcox defense

The Bears relied on big plays in the passing game over longer, time consuming drives. Quarterback Matt Macleod made some nice plays moving around in the pocket and he has a strong receiving group with Troy Franklin, Jalen Moss and Justin Anderson. They hit plays mostly through the deep ball down the sideline. Wilcox had two second half sacks on third downs to stall a pair of drives.

Special Teams

Troy Franklin had a 95 yard kickoff return taken off the board due to penalty. Menlo-Atherton missed a 37 yard field goal in the fourth quarter. Combined, the teams went 13-for-13 on PATs.
Would love to see Wilcox vs Serra, outstanding matchup. Wish Serra had their starting QB available, and with Rosa healthy for Wilcox would have been a truer barometer of the two teams.I'll be at Pitt vs Liberty though. That one will be SRO

My impression all year with M-A is that they have to out-athlete you. If they can't do that, they aren't going to out-gameplan you.

Interesting season for MA with the new coach. Early verdict has been a mixed bag but watching them play twice this season they did not seem like they've been the last few years.

Interesting season for MA with the new coach. Early verdict has been a mixed bag but watching them play twice this season they did not seem like they've been the last few years.

Losing a pair of big-time Pac-12 studs to graduation was not helpful.

Reactions: SpeedCity51
I think the new M-A coach will do better in year two. Taking over a state championship winner must be a tall order.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT