ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be High School basketball in 20-21?

Run TMC

Board Regular
Jun 13, 2018
This is a question that I am afraid to hear the pragmatic answer to. I am in no way trying to start a thread that solicits argumentative opinions, but any realistic way that this coming school year sees a prep basketball season? I am hoping that the CIF is working on an alternative timeline where if needed, they actually consider moving hoops to the spring in lieu of an outright cancellation. I know it would have the potential to conflict with other spring sports (baseball, track, etc); but wouldn’t that be a viable alternative to an outright cancellation?

None of us know where the battle with this pandemic will be in 4-5 months from now. I tend to be a glass half full person, and hope some type of vaccine, or at the least effective treatments are in place by late fall/early winter.

Strange times......

I believe we will see high basketball in 2021 but not before .I think a best case scenario to hope for is that 1st to 2nd week of Jan being the start date I think all of pre season will be lost I think a 14 to 16 game season is the best case scenario providing this pandemic does not escalate further out of control. I think if you were to poll alot of coaches most if not all would take a 14 game season and run with it at this point.

I believe we will see high basketball in 2021 but not before .I think a best case scenario to hope for is that 1st to 2nd week of Jan being the start date I think all of pre season will be lost I think a 14 to 16 game season is the best case scenario providing this pandemic does not escalate further out of control. I think if you were to poll alot of coaches most if not all would take a 14 game season and run with it at this point.

The state college system has set the template.

Reactions: Jumper3
IMO the kids who played basketball and baseball this year were hurt enough. In 6 months, I think we'll be at a point where there will at least be rapid testing. I think having the games played at each gym, but empty, with no one but the coaches, refs, and medical people and all get their temperatures checked. All the games can be streamed live, and this will still give someone like me, Stuart Hall Fan, a chance to not only watch my team, but watch other teams I have yet to see as well. Maybe they can charge for it and divide the money up with the schools.

Now one thing I will guarantee. The AAU season will still be played. Very few public games usually take place, and this makes it a situation a lot easier to control. There is no way these kids don't play these games this summer. I just don't see that happening, especially with some states like Florida and Arizona already open to sports.

Overall, I hope they play next season. These kids, these communities, and more importantly these schools need these teams back and playing sports again! Even if their classwork is done at home!

This period in our lives may in fact be a wake-up call to these young folks who primarily value athletics over education. Maybe the “Stay In School” and get a degree CHANT may well be coming back. Just a thought. Not sure how all this will pan out. Plus, Social Media will KILL Or Magnify anything. Wasn’t like that in many of our days.

This period in our lives may in fact be a wake-up call to these young folks who primarily value athletics over education. Maybe the “Stay In School” and get a degree CHANT may well be coming back. Just a thought. Not sure how all this will pan out. Plus, Social Media will KILL Or Magnify anything. Wasn’t like that in many of our days.
there are so few who have that decision to make of staying or going versus the thousands of others who do graduate. is it really even an issue? maybe 15-20 a year leave and go undrafted. they then go overseas and still make a living

Yes. It will be. At least regular season. Maybe starting during xmas time.

Also wouldn’t pushing the season back into the “flu” season backfire? It would seem the most likely scenario would be to play earlier than latter. I’m just speculating but maybe fall sports have greatest chance because of the low level of cases we are now seeing from all the SIP.

Reactions: Scott2138
Until they find a vaccine/cure nothings ever going to be the same
At this point that’s just not true to say that. There may never be a cure and vaccine is not the end of it. Our society will continue to build immunity towards it and the virus might burn out over time. Other states are already opening and sports are about to be. We just happen to live in a state that is going to drag its feet as long as possible. I full expect a high school basketball season in November.

At this point that’s just not true to say that. There may never be a cure and vaccine is not the end of it. Our society will continue to build immunity towards it and the virus might burn out over time. Other states are already opening and sports are about to be. We just happen to live in a state that is going to drag its feet as long as possible. I full expect a high school basketball season in November.

I’m holding so. I do believe that California will lag behind other states when it comes to sports and extra circular events. I do see some AAU programs traveling out of state in the Fall to play. Just hoping we are at a point in late fall/early winter that events for kids is actually viable and makes sense. As someone’s alreysaid, can’t beileve we’re even talking a out this..........but this is a new reality.

I believe MORE the declarations of research scientists and doctors knee deep in the search for solutions, that both vaccinations and cures are years away RATHER than the StarTrek command of some uninformed diletante to simply creates vaccination/cure at warp speed.

The tools are currently available and producible to get parts of this country/state up and running.....businesses, churches, schools, sports, etc through aggressive testing and contact tracing. Now in the schools Miss Phipps the school nurse will become as important and powerful as the principal Mr Skinner. Team trainers and physicians can become a crucial cog in combatting & controlling this unseen virus.
Countries such as South Korea and Germany shame us with low, low infection and death rates because of their aggressive, constant testing and contact tracing.
Weekly homeroom testing, and pre game testing can become a regular ritual in this new reality.

Like the fire towers spaced along the ridges of the Sierras manned to constantly watch for wisps of smoke in the distance as a warning of possible fire danger, constant aggressive testing and contact tracing can keep this viral fire from bursting up and out of control consuming our families and friends.

Last edited:
The CCAA, of which 11 of the 13 members are CA State schools has already canceled Fall Sports for 2020. UC San Diego and Cal Poly Pomona are also members. Not a good omen to say the least. Sports continuing in 2020 in CA doesn't look likely as of this date. And, I can't get my head around the idea of sports starting up in January 2021, right in the middle of the traditional flu season. Fortunately, having attended Catholic schools all my life, I am praying for divine intervention! Lord knows during these unprecedented times (at least in my lifetime), we can use all the help we can get. If pro sports and college sports get back to playing, we have a chance. Otherwise its the line from Dumb and Dumber, "so you're saying there's a chance." (1 in a million). And, in this case, I will be ecstatic to be wrong.

Best swishes,
Coach Forslund

As always, Coach Forslund is right on the money. By the way, where in the name of St. Pete Newell Sr. is my federal stimulus check?

As always, Coach Forslund is right on the money. By the way, where in the name of St. Pete Newell Sr. is my federal stimulus check?
The state of Arizona will be having 5-5 summer league games the first week of June. If California doesn’t have football and basketball next year there will be a mass exodus of families and athletes moving out of state.

The state of Arizona will be having 5-5 summer league games the first week of June. If California doesn’t have football and basketball next year there will be a mass exodus of families and athletes moving out of state.
I can see parents POSSIBLY sending their kids to Arizona schools but I don’t see the whole family moving to Arizona just so their kids can compete athletically. I can see prep schools like Hillcrest gaining more of our kids via recruiting but a whole family leaving? That’s a bit much. Tough on California sports right now, but like Coach Forslund stated in his post, divine intervention is certainly what we need now.

Everybody ain’t got it like you whole families can’t just pack up and move, very unrealistic

Last edited:
What's great about the stimulus checks: Some folks can use the printed taxpayer-financed cash to pay for, wait for it, income taxes imposed by the state or feds. Wonderful. Tax-supported dollars for taxes. One hand feeds the other. My head hurts. Hello, cheap CVS vodka. Time for a visit from my nurse.

The CCAA, of which 11 of the 13 members are CA State schools has already canceled Fall Sports for 2020. UC San Diego and Cal Poly Pomona are also members. Not a good omen to say the least. Sports continuing in 2020 in CA doesn't look likely as of this date. And, I can't get my head around the idea of sports starting up in January 2021, right in the middle of the traditional flu season. Fortunately, having attended Catholic schools all my life, I am praying for divine intervention! Lord knows during these unprecedented times (at least in my lifetime), we can use all the help we can get. If pro sports and college sports get back to playing, we have a chance. Otherwise its the line from Dumb and Dumber, "so you're saying there's a chance." (1 in a million). And, in this case, I will be ecstatic to be wrong.

Best swishes,
Coach Forslund

Updated info that could have a profound impact on HS sports from Twitter:

Recent Tweet from Glenn Reeves
JC basketball moved to the spring even if state is at Stage 4 (July 17). Football moved to spring (Feb. to April) is state is at Stage 3 as of July 17

Updated info that could have a profound impact on HS sports from Twitter:

Recent Tweet from Glenn Reeves
JC basketball moved to the spring even if state is at Stage 4 (July 17). Football moved to spring (Feb. to April) is state is at Stage 3 as of July 17

This is one of the big dominoes to fall. So at least for JCs, July 17 in the next big date?

As a HS basketball coach I would take "A" season over no season. If it's just league with playoffs then lets go.

Reactions: PortCityCoach
I'm sure some Coaches haven't been in contact with any of the players in their program. And that's a shame.
I'm talking at all levels. Freshman and JV too.

I'd like to circle around and pose this question again as we approach fall. Not sure this is exactly correct, but reading that at least 29 states are currently playing HS football. Lots of AAU hoops being played on the west coast - Arizona, Utah, and even CA.

I personally am in favor of what CIF did by pushing the HS sports calendar back, and not giving up on the possibility of having a season (albeit condensed). I am hoping these kids get a chance to play - I know this, if HS hoops is cancelled in 20-21, AAU programs will jump in and kids will be playing every weekend from Jan-May (many are playing now). Keeping fingers crossed for these kids..............I think it matters more than many realize.

Reactions: superle
ITS Already going down. People are playing in tournaments in Rocklin at the two facilities. They're also having events in Hayward at Slam courts. AT the upper levels its a full go IN Utah and Arizona. They're EVENTS in Nevada but they got canceled. They may start up. There events scheduled in November and December in Las Vegas.

SO yes bball will be played in some form. IN order for it really work at the CIF level THIS Needs to happen.

In preseason players and coaches and refs need to do covid testing... do it early enough so any positive tests can be resolved.

Temp checks for players before Games. Masks FOR COACHES and or refs. High Temps can't play.

Temp checks and social distancing for parents and or fans. HIgh Temps no viewing
Limited capacity if at all at games. . GAMES need to be live streamed if they can.

I THINK the seasons will be started. Now will it finish is something that fingers have to be crossed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Run TMC and damim
My guess is each team will be allowed to play in 2-3 out of conference tournaments and that is it. All the other games will be conference games. Then NCS. Then CIF.

I actually wouldnt be surprised if CIF cancelled States all together, and that they only did NCS this year, similar to baseball.

If it is not completely safe to play there will be no high school sports in California this year.
Despite the enthusiasm on this Board athletics are way down the list of priorities for public school districts, who are trying to figure out a safe way to resume in person classes.

It's not even a question if hoops will be played in March. There will be at least 1 vaccine (not available for everyone, but in the market), The NCAA has already listed "viewing periods" for colleges coaches in the spring, and AAU would have been playing already in some capacity since October.

Now will it be High School teams playing that's a different question. I do know that if they are not playing, the CIF and all the sections that generate most of their budget through Football/Basketball championships will likely fold.

Especially because the parents and players will go where they can play.

This is something the CIF and sections can't afford to mishandle, If they do you will see a mass migration away from traditional school teams and a rush, a real rush to prep/academy and AAU shoe sponsored teams.

It will be hard to close that box once its opened.

High school sports will continue even if no competitions take place this year. The CIF and sections will continue.

The elite athletes, as they already do in some sports, may move to club or prep programs, but for the majority of high school athletes high school is the highest level they will ever play.

High school sports will continue even if no competitions take place this year. The CIF and sections will continue.

The elite athletes, as they already do in some sports, may move to club or prep programs, but for the majority of high school athletes high school is the highest level they will ever play.

I agree. I think people need to understand that there are many kids and parents who want their kids playing a sport. Now if it isn't through CIF competition they'll find another way which leaves open the opportunity for other entities to create their own "underground" situation which certain safety procautions might not happen.

I for one believe that it would be best for competition be done through the high schools where there can be some protocols can be followed and keep people as safe as possible.

This week we starting indoor conditioning and practice with up to 14 girls at one time in the gym. Lots of protocols such as wearing masks, each girl with an individual ball. Girls are enjoying their first glimpse of in-person school albeit in the gym only. As the varsity coach, I am pleased with everyone's effort in a time of uncertainty. Happy for our seniors to get something "not" on zoom and it is a great experience for our frosh ballers many of whom have not played in our gyms. We are in Humboldt in the lowest tier currently which helps us now. We are playing outside of NCS as they approved a more localize approach. Still hopefull we have season this school year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT