ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA playoffs start Wednesday

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
So much to learn from watching the best women in the world play in the best league in the world.

Any girl who's serious about basketball needs to watch some games during the run of the playoffs.

Most, of course, won't watch a second, which is very sad commentary on the state of the sport.

Just curious: As more and more WNBA players declare their lesbianism, not to mention their same-sex marriages to other players or partners, how does that circumstance affect the league's marketing and its perception among sports fans, parents, etc.? Or does anyone even care?

A great question ... I don't think the league has changed much (probably two-thirds lesbian, maybe less), but finally it has gotten more open about it.

Of course, that move came because of the way society is moving, and being open about what everyone knew (or suspected) shouldn't really have changed much. But you never know ...

A great question ... I don't think the league has changed much (probably two-thirds lesbian, maybe less), but finally it has gotten more open about it.

Of course, that move came because of the way society is moving, and being open about what everyone knew (or suspected) shouldn't really have changed much. But you never know ...

Thanks. Good perspective, as always. The WNBA is a niche sport with some hard-core followers. Not many, but some. So maybe the open lesbian issue won't really matter much.

So much to learn from watching the best women in the world play in the best league in the world.

Any girl who's serious about basketball needs to watch some games during the run of the playoffs.

Most, of course, won't watch a second, which is very sad commentary on the state of the sport.

As we were mentioning better marketing would most likely help. If young girls who play the game themselves don't care to watch the WNBA just how many others would you imagine who would? Bottom line is the public wants to be entertained. So the product that is being marketed to the public must be entertaining. Or have some type of value. Perhaps this new league (GMGB) will bring a bit more attention to the advancements of the women's game. And maybe bring a few more out to see them.

Last edited:
As we were mentioning better marketing would most likely help. If young girls who play the game themselves don't care to watch the WNBA just how many others would you imagine who would? Bottom line is the public wants to be entertained. So the product that is being marketed to the public must be entertaining. Perhaps this new league (GMGB) will bring a bit more attention to the advancements of the women's game. And maybe bring a few more out to see them.

Seems highly doubtful.

I don't know the viewership numbers of women's college basketball as they compare to WNBA, but do you think more "out" players in college would lead to less viewers come march madness/ final four? I would guess not, but I don't know.. like clay basically said about knowing what is already assumed, does that change your outlook at all?

I don't know the viewership numbers of women's college basketball as they compare to WNBA, but do you think more "out" players in college would lead to less viewers come march madness/ final four? I would guess not, but I don't know.. like clay basically said about knowing what is already assumed, does that change your outlook at all?

Women's college basketball has an advantage over women playing in the WNBA. Because each college already has alumni and established following from school spirit. They have the thousands that presently attend the school as well as graduates. And colleges are typically better connected with the local community. The WNBA has to compete with the NBA which is a far better and more established league. Coming out has nothing really to do with the sport being less popular IMO. I think it boils down to the women's game just not being all that exciting when compared to the men's. So better marketing is needed to bring a better show to attract more of the public to want to watch women's professional basketball IMO.

Last edited:

now, I'm observing from a sample of 1 (my daughter, 10-15 years ago), but I couldn't get her interested in watching basketball, at any level. basically, she loved to play, but had no interest in watching other people play. maybe she wasn't serious, or maybe she was primarily a kinetic rather than a visual or verbal learner, but I have to wonder whether sports fandom doesn't skew toward males. I like watching basketball.

Reactions: OnBall8
Sports fandom does skew towards males ... in general, girls aren't as interested in watching games as guys even though they may pretend to during the mating dance ... as any husband knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT