ADVERTISEMENT

WNBA salaries to go up under new CBA

I read that viewership was down as was attendance. They were getting an average of -1000 people per game league wide. It' unfortunate that it's not marketed very well. I hardly ever see marketing for the WNBA...or am I just blind?

Washington shifted to a 4,200-seat arena from a 15,000-seat arena, so reported attendance went down. I think the TV ratings were roughly the same.

The WNBA has found its niche, I think, which is basically getting 4,500 people to pay hard-earned cash to watch women play professional basketball in the summer. You can call that failure if you wish, but I have a feeling if you told someone in 1975 that women's pro basketball would draw close to 5,000 people a night, they would have asked for whatever you were smoking.

Washington shifted to a 4,200-seat arena from a 15,000-seat arena, so reported attendance went down. I think the TV ratings were roughly the same.

The WNBA has found its niche, I think, which is basically getting 4,500 people to pay hard-earned cash to watch women play professional basketball in the summer. You can call that failure if you wish, but I have a feeling if you told someone in 1975 that women's pro basketball would draw close to 5,000 people a night, they would have asked for whatever you were smoking.

They read this morning (had no idea of the financial structure the WNBA had) that NY did the same thing..moved the team to a smaller venue instead of Madison square garden. I'll still stand firm about the lack of quality marketing in the women's game-it needs improvement.

Clay, I think if you asked people 25 years ago people would have said you're crazy.

One thing about the WNBA: It's much more prominent in cities with a team. Since there are no teams in Northern California, history has shown the league there's little payoff in marketing here; the focus is on those areas with teams, and the marketing is better than you think there.

One thing about the WNBA: It's much more prominent in cities with a team. Since there are no teams in Northern California, history has shown the league there's little payoff in marketing here; the focus is on those areas with teams, and the marketing is better than you think there.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that if the Bay Area had a team it would do very well.

The Bay Area has always been a prime target, but Chris Cohan, former Warriors' owner, made it pretty much impossible. Joe Lacob has said he wants a team in the Chase Center, but clearly doesn't want an expansion team (good thinking on his part). There was a chance Atlanta or Indiana might relocate but they stayed put, so there's no team in 2020.

My sense is that unless Lacob and Peter Gruber are ready to pay an expansion fee and then lose several million dollars in order to get 17 more dates each year for the Chase Center, only a relocation of an existing franchise will get a WNBA team here.

its hard enough to get there for a nba team why would anyone want the hassle to see a wnba team. although the warriors are playing like a wnba team now

its hard enough to get there for a nba team why would anyone want the hassle to see a wnba team. although the warriors are playing like a wnba team now

what a stupid thing to say. the women's game and them men's game is two different ball games and to try and be funny saying that a men's teams is plying like women is chauvinistic and no longer ok in todays world. Go back to your cave...

what a stupid thing to say. the women's game and them men's game is two different ball games and to try and be funny saying that a men's teams is plying like women is chauvinistic and no longer ok in todays world. Go back to your cave...
sorry

You are on a girls basketball thread making a comment like that? What kind of example do you set for your daughter, nieces and friend's daughters when you speak this way? If this is the way you feel I'm sure those sentiments project on to the young ladies around you. I've always loved women's basketball just as much as men's basketball.

Last edited:
You are on a girls basketball thread making a comment like that? What kind of example do you set for your daughter, nieces and friend's daughters when you speak this way? If this is the way you feel I'm sure those sentiments project on to the young ladies around you. I've always loved women's basketball just as much as men's basketball.
if a girl, woman, lady is looking at the internet more importantly norcalpreps for examples of godly behavior then their parents all ready failed them. I do not have any daughters, nieces to worry about. My friends daughters most def arent on the internet looking for role models either.
as for the comment... numbers do not lie.. how many people would deal with the hassle of The City traffic and parking to go see. there is a reason why wnba gets 2000 fans and nba gets 20000.

if a girl, woman, lady is looking at the internet more importantly norcalpreps for examples of godly behavior then their parents all ready failed them. I do not have any daughters, nieces to worry about. My friends daughters most def arent on the internet looking for role models either.
as for the comment... numbers do not lie.. how many people would deal with the hassle of The City traffic and parking to go see. there is a reason why wnba gets 2000 fans and nba gets 20000.

your stupid comment has NOTHING to do with 2000 vs. 20000 fans. Suggesting that the men's team is playing like women is a backhanded slap in the fact to all women and those who support women's sports. People like you that think you opinion above reproach and you have to be right on everything...shame

Reactions: GBBall4L

Don't try to spin this on parents. Norcal preps is visible to anyone without a membership and it comes up when you type searches such as norcal high school girls basketball. So if kids look at this site it has nothing to do with parental failures. Your energy obvious and lack of culpability speaks for itself. You have no control over what kids look at on the internet unless they are sitting behind a next-generation firewall with content filtering that you control. Norcal preps is not an ungodly forum and it is a forum that I appreciate. You have every right to feel some type of way about my response to your comment but your comment was shocking being that we are on a girls basketball forum. "Parents have failed them" and "role models" give me a break.

Doubling down on a stupid comment. Bravo.

Don't try to spin this on parents. Norcal preps is visible to anyone without a membership and it comes up when you type searches such as norcal high school girls basketball. So if kids look at this site it has nothing to do with parental failures. Your energy obvious and lack of culpability speaks for itself. You have no control over what kids look at on the internet unless they are sitting behind a next-generation firewall with content filtering that you control. Norcal preps is not an ungodly forum and it is a forum that I appreciate. You have every right to feel some type of way about my response to your comment but your comment was shocking being that we are on a girls basketball forum. "Parents have failed them" and "role models" give me a break.
parenting.

When you say parenting that's a direct reflection on parents. I can tell you are young but hopefully one day it will all make sense to you.
my knees thank you for your terrible assumption. you did get the former correct though. if a parent allows a website to give guidance to their child that's on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT