ADVERTISEMENT

Wood 59 - American Canyon 33

woodinsider

Board Regular
Jan 11, 2013
Wood suffers early hangover from the Vaca Hi victory and falls behind AC 13 - 0 and then scores 42 points in 5 minutes, and then goes on to a 59 - 33 victory. AC scored in the final seconds of a running clock 4th quarter. Next up Del Oro @ Vacaville.

Last edited:
Wood suffers early hangover from the Vaca Hi victory and falls behind AC 13 - 0 and then scores 42 points in 5 minutes, and then goes on to a 59 - 33 victory. AC scored in the final seconds of a running clock 4th quarter.
I was at this game.Very impressed with Woods perimeter speed and run after the catch.Of course AC's poor tackling didn't help them one bit.All those onside kicks in a row by Wood and all those recoveries.AC simply could not defend Wood.Wildcats could have scored as much or as little as they wanted

Now comes Del Oro a power house team from the SFL (Super Football League) can Wood's speed be enough to handle the D Line of Mighty Del Oro? Cud hardly wait for this one

Last edited:
Wood scores fast and often Del Oro will need to stop the Pass and slow the run to win this game. Wood at times had trouble with ACs option attack and DOs offense is light years better as is their option game. Del Oro has athletic linemen which will surely create challenges for Woods interior line and their scrambling Qb. Wood has shown some 2 back sets recently which add to the difficulty of slowing the run game. Del Oro's qb may be the best Wood has faced this season and poses a true run threat. Wood has had a relatively easy schedule and DO is battle tested as always but both teams are competitive for sure this should be a great game. Give wood a slight advantage playing at home on a grass field, should it rain things may get pretty exciting the field will be a muddy mess.

Wood scores fast and often Del Oro will need to stop the Pass and slow the run to win this game. Wood at times had trouble with ACs option attack and DOs offense is light years better as is their option game. Del Oro has athletic linemen which will surely create challenges for Woods interior line and their scrambling Qb. Wood has shown some 2 back sets recently which add to the difficulty of slowing the run game. Del Oro's qb may be the best Wood has faced this season and poses a true run threat. Wood has had a relatively easy schedule and DO is battle tested as always but both teams are competitive for sure this should be a great game. Give wood a slight advantage playing at home on a grass field, should it rain things may get pretty exciting the field will be a muddy mess.

Del Oro has underachieved this year. Had higher expectations as 6+ of the seniors have started on Varsity as sophomores building experience and chemistry over the past 3 seasons. Fundamentally they play well but the problem this year, IMO, is they have just been inconsistent. Inconsistent from game to game and inconsistent in a game. They have not shown that killer instinct in the 4th quarter i.e. not closing the Punahoe & Bellarmine games. Also I thought they exhibited a lack of urgency in the Whitney game but maybe I'm misinterpreting confidence as lack of urgency.

While inconsistent they have shown some improvement over their past 5 games. If DO plays to their potential for 4 quarters I'll give them the edge having played more close games and a much tougher schedule than Wood. Wood SOS = 14.0, DO SOS = 44.7

Had the good fortune to freeze off all extremities on Friday watching the Whitney-DO game. Whitney had it going on offensively, and what a great QB in Rodrigues! A lot of fun to watch - is he going anywhere? He was a real treat. He really ran and threw all over the field, quite an athlete - just lined up and did it again and again, kept them in the game. DO may have their hands full with Wood based on what the Wildcats are doing on offense.

Had the good fortune to freeze off all extremities on Friday watching the Whitney-DO game. Whitney had it going on offensively, and what a great QB in Rodrigues! A lot of fun to watch - is he going anywhere? He was a real treat. He really ran and threw all over the field, quite an athlete - just lined up and did it again and again, kept them in the game. DO may have their hands full with Wood based on what the Wildcats are doing on offense.
Didn't realize DO was a D3 school.Wow,with the ooc schedule they play I thought they were D1 for sure.Extremely impressed

Didn't realize DO was a D3 school.Wow,with the ooc schedule they play I thought they were D1 for sure.Extremely impressed
Oak Ridge has over 2000 students????? No??? How could they be DIII???

DO is D2 based on enrollment. However, their district changing their school choice policy which will/may have an impact on enrollment. Then again, they get players from Ricklin, Roseville, and Sac. Stone Smartt lives in Antelope.

Playoff divisions are mainly based on enrollment (qualifying teams are ranked top to bottom). However, some are manipulated for equity. For example, St. Mary's is at 907 but D1 and Central Catholic is 369 but can be no lower than D3. Granite Bay is in D2 playoffs with a higher enrollment than Stagg who is in D1 playoffs. There are teams that can be no lower than D2 regardless of enrollment - Grant, Atwater, Johansen, Golden Valley, Beyer, Buhach Colony, Del Oro, McNair, Grace Davis, Wood and St. Mary’s. FYI, the SFL is a D1 league with these enrollments: Oak Ridge 2400, Woodcreek 2200, Folsom 2200, Granite Bay 2100, NU 1980, Rocklin 1841 and DO 1695 (the latter qualifying for D3 by enrollment, but must be D2 as declared by SJS).

Wondering if Wood shud be in DIII with their enrollment
They play in a D-1 league and can not drop lower than 1 below the league they play in. If i'm not mistaken the league winners must advance to play offs at the level of their league this year. The best thing to happen to Wood this season was to lose to Napa and finish #2 or they would be a D-3 team playing in D-1 and as good as they are would not have stood much chance in my opinion at least in D-2 they will make a nice run, Hopefully. First DO must be dealt with, and I'm sure DO does not want to get knocked out by a MEL team second year in a row. It should be one hellova game.

NCSCAL: it is a bit mysterious why Wood with 1600 enrollment is in D2 playoffs when Oakdale is D3 with 1650, Inderkum is D3 with 1750 (who blasted Lincoln who is D3 with 1656) and Yuba City D3 with 1750.....no wonder Wood is usually on the receiving end of Vacaville who has close to 2,000! Happy to see them end the 18 year skid!

NCSCAL: it is a bit mysterious why Wood with 1600 enrollment is in D2 playoffs when Oakdale is D3 with 1650, Inderkum is D3 with 1750 (who blasted Lincoln who is D3 with 1656) and Yuba City D3 with 1750.....no wonder Wood is usually on the receiving end of Vacaville who has close to 2,000! Happy to see them end the 18 year skid!

The MEL is classified as a D1 league. If Wood were to have won the MEL this year they would be in D1 playoffs.

Wood has been trying to get the MEL to re classify itself as D2 with no luck.

They would fare much better in the SCAC (D2 league) for not just football, but all of their sports. Wood wants to.stay in the MEL.

Reactions: RunningRon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT