ADVERTISEMENT

Wood vs. Vintage

ncscalfootball

Hall of Famer
May 24, 2011
Wood hosts Vintage. Gonna be a good MEL Game? Is Vintage running the Wing T? Will Wood continue on or will they be caught sleeping? Any info? Thanks

Wood hosts Vintage. Gonna be a good MEL Game? Is Vintage running the Wing T? Will Wood continue on or will they be caught sleeping? Any info? Thanks
ncscalfootball......Wood is going to run all over Vintage, every one saw how Wood took care of Freedom, but in this case the score will be lope sided...Its too bad, back in the day, Vintage use to field good teams....

Wood will stomp a mud hole in Vintage and walk it dry, Wood is very good and Vintage is in disarray again this year. Vintage has wins over weak teams like Petaluma and a Bethel team that barely has enough kids to field a team, they have loses to weaker teams like Davis too. Wood has played a good non league schedule and shown they are for real.

Vintage administration needs to take a look at the staff and demand accountability, they are always talented but under coached and lack any type of structure or leadership. Every year is the same song and dance, coach makes unrealistic promises and builds hype and hope, by week 3 the team is imploding. That's a tread and falls on the shoulders of that staff, talk is cheap, but a great coach will hold his players accountable for their actions even if that means sitting players.

It's sad because as you stated Vintage has a proud history, they have the ponies but the jockey is not doing his job.

@Bluedog2, yeah I know...attended Vaca High in the 80's...back in those days the MEL was doing real well against Out Of League Games. Vacaville, Vintage, Vallejo, Napa, Fairfield and at times Hogan. As for Armijo,,,well it's Armijo...I am going for Wood since i went there when it was a Jr. High....it's just them league games sometimes can be a head scratcher at times...thank everyone

@Bluedog2, yeah I know...attended Vaca High in the 80's...back in those days the MEL was doing real well against Out Of League Games. Vacaville, Vintage, Vallejo, Napa, Fairfield and at times Hogan. As for Armijo,,,well it's Armijo...I am going for Wood since i went there when it was a Jr. High....it's just them league games sometimes can be a head scratcher at times...thank everyone
Yep the old MEL was a powerful football league. Sad to see teams like Vallejo,Vintage, and Airfield a mere shadow of what they once were.

With all the kids walking around Fairfield and Vallejo, it's mind boggling they can't field a competitive football team.

@remc, i thought i read another thread or something that even Bethel is having a hard time fielding a team...they were doing well before...those Vallejo teams should have the numbers since Hogan closed down.

With all the kids walking around Fairfield and Vallejo, it's mind boggling they can't field a competitive football team.
Winghunter....This is a problem at Mt.Diablo and most of the schools in the bay area....Today's kids would rather hang out do as little as possible in school and later on they will wonder how come I can't find a job....What's sad is a lot of these kids can't read or write and most don't care.....When I look at App.s, most are incomplete or they can't spell and their language while trying to feel them out is worse then terrible.....

That's too bad Bluedog, athletics teaches you so much more than blocking, throwing, catching, etc..

@remc, i thought i read another thread or something that even Bethel is having a hard time fielding a team...they were doing well before...those Vallejo teams should have the numbers since Hogan closed down.
You're right ncscalfb, don't know what the problem is.It has to be coaching and the general state of the football programs themselves. No excuses as far as enrollment goes.Vallejo schools need some new blood to revitalize the programs. Bethe started off great when the school opened around 1999.Then it has just gradually declined.Similiar situation with Rodriguez in Airfield.When they first opened that school they were winning and contending for section titles in D2.Havent heard much from them in a while

You're right ncscalfb, don't know what the problem is.It has to be coaching and the general state of the football programs themselves. No excuses as far as enrollment goes.Vallejo schools need some new blood to revitalize the programs. Bethe started off great when the school opened around 1999.Then it has just gradually declined.Similiar situation with Rodriguez in Airfield.When they first opened that school they were winning and contending for section titles in D2.Havent heard much from them in a while
Guys.....When American Canyon opened, didn't a large piece of Vintage plus Vallejo become American Canyon which didn't help?????....Bethel and Rodriguez both have run out of new blood, so now its a case of the next group of kids to step forward and it hasn't happened. When Hogan closed down and was combine with Vallejo, the thinking was it would jump start Vallejo, but they are no better off then before.....

Reactions: remc
Guys.....When American Canyon opened, didn't a large piece of Vintage plus Vallejo become American Canyon which didn't help?????....Bethel and Rodriguez both have run out of new blood, so now its a case of the next group of kids to step forward and it hasn't happened. When Hogan closed down and was combine with Vallejo, the thinking was it would jump start Vallejo, but they are no better off then before.....
Agree about American Canyons impact, but I think it hurt Vintage far more since AC was always Vintage territory. As far as affecting the Vallejo schools, the Vallejo kids that attend AC are more "hand picked" for athletic purposes, so there is no crush of Vallejo kids going to AC, just mostly athletes,football players in particular. At least that's my observation, having coached some of those kids in youth football.

Watched Vallejo play Napa a few years ago, it was the longest running rivalry game in Calif or something along those lines. Vallejo was loaded with talent but the WR's would not run routes or stalk block on run plays, backs would not block on pass plays, etc.. It was sad to see the lack of effort by such a talented team, a disciplined and well coached Napa squad took full advantage of their lack of effort.
American Canyon has a lot of the Vallejo athletes on that team, they had a coaching change a few years ago and have not seemed to have bounced back yet. They do play a tough non-league schedule though, that alone should help them stay competitive and headed towards greatness again. Vintage was never a factor even with the American Canyon students, again discipline and continuity from the Head coach down seems to be the common denominator. They are talented but perennial underperformers, they really need a good X's & O's guy not a cheerleader to run that program. It would be great to see Vaca, Wood, Napa, Vintage all fighting for the MEL championship.
I ran into an old friend and former Bethel coach last week, he's still on campus as a teacher. He said by the end of the season they'll have to pull JV kids up just to keep 17 to 20 Varsity players suited, numbers are way down. He said there is more talent walking around campus than there is on the teams. Unfortunately I think Bluedog2 is correct in his comment above.

After walking down memory lane we get back to today's reality. And I have to agree with the previous posters; Wood will continue to put up ungodly numbers and Vintage will be their next victim. This will set up a showdown with Napa with both teams going in undefeated at 6-0.

Team Stats

Points Per Game
1. Wood - 55.2 (5)
2. Highlands - 54.3 (4)
3. Whitney - 53.8 (4)
4. McNair - 53.2 (5)
5. Inderkum - 51.2 (5)
6. Lincoln - 49.4 (5)
7. Manteca - 48.3 (4)
8. Orestimba - 48 (4)
9. Oak Ridge - 46.6 (5)
10. Rio Vista - 46.5 (4)

Total Yards Per Game
1. Wood - 594.8
2. Highlands - 564.8
3. Lincoln - 542.6
4. McNair - 541.4
5. Whitney - 533.5
6. Placer - 490.8
7. Stone Ridge - 487.6
8. Oak Ridge - 481.2
9. Orestimba - 480.8
10. Antelope - 480.5

I believe that Wood has too much speed even for Napa. If Wood wins the MEL they will have to play in D1 according to the new rule this year.

It's going to be a great one, I watched the Napa / Campo game and Napa D is impressive. They did a good job keeping Campo of balance all game. I'm going to have to make sure I make the game for sure, should be awesome. Do they play in Napa or Vaca?

I really dont like to look ahead....but....how is Vintage's & Napa's Secondary? How well does Napa do on Grass? How does Wood do on artificial turf/grass?

I'm going to step out on a limb, or maybe not that much of a limb, and say Wood will have a difficult time making that 55 point average against a talented Napa defense. Does anyone think Napa will let Wood have the ball as much as some of the other teams they have played?

I know Napa will be very physical in the trenches...where I truly think the battle is...can Wood's line battle Napa's Defensive line to protect their QB and can Wood's Defensive line penetrate Napa's line? How is Napa's secondary? Will Wood their RB as an extra Receiver?

* Greetings all just started another thread about the MEL/SCAL

Last edited:
Napa has athletes they use all over the defensive side of the ball. I also think Napa coaches understand schemes and how to take away a teams offensive strength. Napa's secondary will be tested, but they will do their HW and know what is coming from one play to the next.

Wood has some truly amazing stats as well as a talented speedy team. They seem to have all the pieces put together for a deep run into the play offs. Having seen this team play I expect they run the table in MEL with the only speed-bump being Napa. If Napa can control the trenches they will stay in the game till mid third quarter When Wood's speed will just overwhelm them and tire them down.
As far as team stats, the only stats that have me scratching my head are the defensive stats. How can a team be averaging just over 101 tackles per game?? For example: Wood has 62 solo tackles and 56 assists for a total of 118 tackles vs Vista Del Lago who only ran 59 offensive plays..... Now I get it Wood is scoring 8-10 times a game so add those kick off tackles in but that being said the numbers just don't jive. I'm sure posting such obviously exaggerated stats isn't going to help the players get looks from colleges who may question the validity of those stats. Besides the questionable stats Wood seems to be rolling on a steamroller and flattening every apparent speed-bump in sight.

I think Napa does a great job of taking the other team off their game and forcing them to do things they are not comfortable with, Pitman & Campo are two examples this year. The Napa staff does a great job at game planning and getting the best out of their players, this has been a staple of the program for years. I think they'll scheme well enough to slow down the wood passing game, not stop but slow down. The wood defense will not be able to stop Napa on offense consistently, I expect Napa will win.
I will be shocked if Wood is able to get anywhere near the numbers they have posted to date.

I think Napa does a great job of taking the other team off their game and forcing them to do things they are not comfortable with, Pitman & Campo are two examples this year. The Napa staff does a great job at game planning and getting the best out of their players, this has been a staple of the program for years. I think they'll scheme well enough to slow down the wood passing game, not stop but slow down. The wood defense will not be able to stop Napa on offense consistently, I expect Napa will win.
I will be shocked if Wood is able to get anywhere near the numbers they have posted to date.
I would have to agree Napa's staff seems to have a handle on things that being said, Wood is loaded with athletes and has speed to spare. Woods Coaches seem to gameplay pretty good as well so I would expect an exciting game. Napa's only chance is to dominate the trenches, even then their chance is just a punchers chance. Even when your right in the trenches vs an Oregon style spread your taken advantage of. Those Lewis brothers are super talented RBs. The Qb is shifty and seems to like to throw on the run, the WRs have yet to be stopped by any of the 5 teams they've faced. Speaking of D their #40 LB is averaging over 18 tackles per game even if Woods coaches are inflating D stats that's crazy tackles and he's backed up by #2 safety who's booking crazy tackles as well. My money goes with Wood in this match up. Napa's best chance may be pray for rain and mud to slow the Wood scoring machine.

Winghunter....This is a problem at Mt.Diablo and most of the schools in the bay area....Today's kids would rather hang out do as little as possible in school and later on they will wonder how come I can't find a job....What's sad is a lot of these kids can't read or write and most don't care.....When I look at App.s, most are incomplete or they can't spell and their language while trying to feel them out is worse then terrible.....

Irony.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT