ADVERTISEMENT

Worth looking at: WNBA ad

I don't see this as inspiring anyone to watch a WNBA game. Reminds me of the "It's not your father's Buick" ads. Digs a hole then tries to climb out of it. Sexist really. Would an NBA ad tout the players' child rearing abilities, or their commitment to "loving who they want"?

I'm not a fan of this marketing plan. I think there are better ways to connect with your core fan base and market the game's stars. What those ways are I'm not sure.

Interesting responses ... the feedback from the women's basketball community has been uniformly positive, and this is a big upgrade over previous efforts, at least as far as I'm concerned. In the past, they tried to claim the women were as good as the men, or promoted them in the same way as an NBA player or NBA game, and that doesn't work. The games are just too different. The WNBA, athletically, resembles an elite high school boys' game, without the dunking; skill-wise, they are pros, but much of the attraction of men's sports is the athleticism, and if a marketing campaign promises that the women will be like the men, it's doomed to fail.

Reactions: JackGFuller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT