ADVERTISEMENT

Youth Coaching

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Folks, since we all love football and things are a little slow around here lately, I thought I would share a true story with you. My older brother is eight years older than me and he has four grown children, three boys and one girl. Back in the eighties and nineties he coached junior pee wee level football for the Pop Warner Oak Grove Rams in South San Jose. I think he coached that level all the way up to JV level at Oak Grove High School as his own sons grew older and moved up. I believe he coached youth level for 12-15 years and had a national champion during that run.

The year before he started coaching his eldest son at 8 years old was playing his first year of junior pee wee and was one of the strongest players on the team, rarely leaving the field. At the end of a blowout win the coach for his sons team put in his minimum play players for four plays, because he was required to do so. The coach instructed them to take a knee all four plays. After the game my brother approached the coach and told him if his son were one of the kids he had taking a knee he would "have him by the throat". To defend himself the coach said "what do you want me to do, they don't know the plays"? Naturally, my brother says "who's fault is that"? They verbally volley back and forth and before you know it the coach says to my brother "if you think you can do better, coach the minimum play kids". So my brother coaches those 6 or 7 kids for nearly a week and by the end of the week they scored a TD or two off the starting defense. Oh by the way, one of those kids was a very young Mark Grieb from San Jose Sabercats fame. Grieb playing all through high school with my nephew and was a pretty average high school quarterback. What folks didn't know about Grieb is he would be a late bloomer.

I'm sure there are plenty of stories about excellent youth level coaches but this one is my brother, so I'm biased. He took some time off from coaching and is now back to coaching youth football in the Brentwood area in his early sixties. HIs "excuse" was to coach his grand sons and even a couple of grand daughters for one season. He still coaches with no relatives on the squad. He tries to make football as safe as possible for the kids without softening the game. Great example is he learned from experience there's nothing to gain by pitting your two biggest studs head up the first day you're allowed to hit and get one of them injured because testosterone is running high. He's the kind of coach that once a win is secured, he plays his minimum play kids a full quarter up to half of the game to avoid running up the score and doing so because it's the right thing to do. Kids love him and parents love him. Most kids he has coached continue to play football for years after they leave his squad. To me this is the ultimate measure of a youth coach, do kids continue to play and love football?

I always regretted he was not able to coach my own son, but he lived in San Jose and I live in San Ramon. Regardless, my son got some pretty damn good coaching without my brother's influence. Some of you have met him at a few Cal High games he has attended over the past three years.

However good or bad they are as coaches, we owe a huge debt to the men and women that donate countless hours of their time to coach our kids.

Originally posted by Bubba3000:

To me this is the ultimate measure of a youth coach, do kids continue to play and love football?

However good or bad they are as coaches, we owe a huge debt to the men and women that donate countless hours of their time to coach our kids.
Good stuff Bubba. I've always felt that was the ultimate measure of youth coaching in any sport. Wins are great, but can you make it fun for the kids and get them interested enough in the game to keep at it.

Bubba, I enjoyed your story about your brother. There is a lot of sacrifice that goes into coaching youth sports, especially for those who are not yet fathers or mothers and do it for the love of sport and teaching. And yes it is the sloowww season, can't wait for spring football!

Great stuff Bubba

For all youth coaches regardless of the sport the true test of success is preparing them for the future and the continued participation of the child after your tutelage.

You know you have done well as a youth coach when you run across a college age kid that greets you with "hey coach". You ever want your child to give something back to a special coach, just have them do that

Bears. When he was 7 years old not all programs had scout teams yet and we went out to junior pee wee practices for both organizations. There was an attitude at the T-Birds that 8 year olds had little chance of being starters and the parents were mostly from Danville. The Bears was a more natural feel all around for our kid and our family. He became a starter as an 8 year old and stayed with the Bears organization until he entered high school.

You know,there was a feeling in our youth football organization(BYF) that the TBirds had this air of haughtiness about them,and I know they`ve been around a long time and they`ve been very successful,but the Bears organization folks seemed much more down to earth.Thats not a knock on the TBirds,just the feeling we got.I could be wrong.

Yeh we hot the same feeling about the T-Birds. Good organization just not down home folks. I'm pretty sure my brother and nephews coach at BOYFL.

Although B3K had a good experience with youth football I don't believe it's necessarily the end all to be a starter in HS. Eldest skipped Bears (not all coaches are "great" volunteers) and became a 5th quarter player as frosh, as expected. O line starter on JV and two way by game 4. Senior year was #2 EBAL in skill stat category. Younger begged to play in 8th and was the C for the tenured QB-to-be at adjacent HS. Frosh HC saw an arm, and smarts and how big bro played, and by Sr. year had #2 rating over two of the three EBAL FBS recruits. Both would tell you there were specific assistants and lower level coaches who pushed them to be excellent contributors to the team.

Youth sports is not the end all for (dual) athletes, although since Bubbas was only playing one it certainly helped. Both went D1 at the next level in their other sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT