ADVERTISEMENT

19-20 Preseason Girls Top 20 teams.

You are vastly underrating Cardinal Newman.

And IMO you are completely off base with California, Menlo and Pinewood rated ahead of them.
I think CN would steam roll menlo or cal high as well. Pinewood..., Guru you and I will agree to disagree there

Reactions: northbaybbguru
I think CN would steam roll menlo or cal high as well. Pinewood..., Guru you and I will agree to disagree there

I wouldn't say steamroll, but I do think they would beat Cal and Menlo. I think San Ramon vs. CN would be a great game. SRV is going to be very good this year. He's been there for 4 years now and they say it takes a good 3-4 years to put your mark on a program. We'll see how well he does with this group. h

I'm going to be murdered here but I think BOD is rated too high here. Look how they played (last year) before Holland was playing then how they looked AFTER she came back. A night and day team. Unless someone on BOD steps up and takes the leadership role, it's gonna be the same thing. Also, when Holland wasn't on the court, they were prone to MEGA turnovers. I agree that at the end of the year they were playing great hoops...all that was attributed to Holland's return late in the season.

I wouldn't say steamroll, but I do think they would beat Cal and Menlo. I think San Ramon vs. CN would be a great game. SRV is going to be very good this year. He's been there for 4 years now and they say it takes a good 3-4 years to put your mark on a program. We'll see how well he does with this group. h

I'm going to be murdered here but I think BOD is rated too high here. Look how they played (last year) before Holland was playing then how they looked AFTER she came back. A night and day team. Unless someone on BOD steps up and takes the leadership role, it's gonna be the same thing. Also, when Holland wasn't on the court, they were prone to MEGA turnovers. I agree that at the end of the year they were playing great hoops...all that was attributed to Holland's return late in the season.
BOD has 2 high end D1 players right? They should still be elite.

BOD has 2 high end D1 players right? They should still be elite.

if you don't have an elite point guard, it will be difficult at the playoff level. Did you watch them play last year without Holland? Did you see how turnover prone they were? Shoot they lost to Tennyson (or was it piedmont) and almost Alameda w/o her. Welcome her back for second half of the year and they played much better, got on a roll and repped. I'm not doubting they're going to be good, I'm just saying I (again personal opinion) it will be tough for them to match the success they had last year with no true battle tested point guard....unless there is someone there I've over looked that can handle the ball...

CN graduated 1 girl. CN beat BOD, LJCD, and Bear Creek last year before brain farting in the 1st round of D1 norcals.

CN played Pinewood this summer without Choice & Chambers and held PW to 12 points.
PW lost ALOT! Just don't see it....

CN has 2 transfers who are eligible immediately. Both D2 level players including the 6'1 senior center who signed at Point Loma (Chambers).

CN has scheduled Antelope, Oakland Tech & Heritage in singles, has SRV in their tourney (Dec 5-7) and has California in their Foundation game. So a lot of questions (re: NCP rankings) will be answered in the next couple of weeks.

***and it looks like they will be in the top bracket in the WCJ

I would put CN at #6 to start...ahead of Antelope.

Last edited:
Cardinal Newman will be very good ... Monica is a very good coach, the transfers are strong, and they have a great senior in Anya Choice.

As for San Ramon, one of their top two players (not Paige Gerhart) went down with what looked like a serious knee injury in Saturday's scrimmage. They still were a very solid team but if that girl is out for a while, it will hurt.

Cardinal Newman will be very good ... Monica is a very good coach, the transfers are strong, and they have a great senior in Anya Choice.

As for San Ramon, one of their top two players (not Paige Gerhart) went down with what looked like a serious knee injury in Saturday's scrimmage. They still were a very solid team but if that girl is out for a while, it will hurt.

OUCH! I that's too bad..hopefully they're not too bad.

There are no monsters in the North this year.
There are no McDonalds All AMERICANS.
There is no Gatorade national Player of the year sitting out there.
For the 1st time ever the North OPEN is wide open. I would have no problem stating that ANY TEAM that makes this years OPEN has a legit chance of representing the North in the OPEN state championship.

and as a NCS fan..... with the advent of the NCS Open it makes for a (potentially)very entertaining and competitive Section and State playoff challenge for all the top teams.

I'm very excited to see how this season plays out

For the 1st time ever the North OPEN is wide open. I would have no problem stating that ANY TEAM that makes this years OPEN has a legit chance of representing the North in the OPEN state championship.

and as a NCS fan..... with the advent of the NCS Open it makes for a (potentially)very entertaining and competitive Section and State playoff challenge for all the top teams.

I wouldn't say that it's completely wide open (SMS and Mitty have to be the strong favorites), but I do agree that there is more parity this year than ever in Norcal. Where SMS and Mitty have dominated the last 8 years it seems like it could be anyones race to play Sierra Canyon in the open, with SMS and Mitty having more of an advantage.

I was shown the top two brackets of the west coast jamboree and noticed that the number 4 team in Norcal is in the second division while CN is in the top. IT seems the MM is playing the Norcal seeding game early...smh

Who s won the last 2 norcal Open Championships?

oh im sorry...I wasn't aware that Hanna Jump was playing for pinewood this year? it's a completely different team...and that's okay. I'm sure as the season goes on, PW will get better and better...Doc's a great coach!

That’s what makes this an exciting year for me. We will see a lot of team A beat team B who beat team C and team C beat A.

Gives us plenty of “who’s the best team?” topics for the season.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Valley Christian was over matched by Oakland Tech in a scrimmage this past Wednesday. We should definitely reconsider them being #17. Tech could be a big sleeper this year. WATCH out !!

Valley Christian was over matched by Oakland Tech in a scrimmage this past Wednesday. We should definitely reconsider them being #17. Tech could be a big sleeper this year. WATCH out !!

was that valley christian san jose or dublin? Big difference

The game between Oakland Tech and Cardinal Newman tomorrow night will be good tough early test to see how both teams look this season! Looking forward to another great season of Girls Basketball!!!! Good luck to all!

yea I think VC may end up being younger and smaller than expected.

Who s won the last 2 norcal Open Championships?
Just because you won Norcal last two years doesn't mean you should be top 5 the following year. PW lost their top to scorers to D1 schools. I don't see any D1 talent on their team this year, except for maybe Una, depending on how she's recovered from her ACL. I wouldn't be surprised if Menlo wins the WBAL....

SMB will be a team to look out for this year. They played SRV in the first game of the year and to be honest even though SMB lost they were the better team in my opinion . Tons of missed layups cost them this game. Hats off to SRV for taking care of business though.

But like I said look out for SMB this year they could be a sleeper.

SMB will be a team to look out for this year. They played SRV in the first game of the year and to be honest even though SMB lost they were the better team in my opinion . Tons of missed layups cost them this game. Hats off to SRV for taking care of business though.

you cant miss lay ups. they lay ups. easiest shot on the court

The only sleeper may be Atomic if he actually thinks SMB was/is a better team than SRV. SMB has Great coach, good effort, active and athletic. But, no.....

Lay off the cough syrup before watching your SMB games Atomic.
It impairs your sight and judgement!

Last edited:

2 of best 4 players were in street clothes. Hard to overcome that in women's basketball especially

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT