ADVERTISEMENT

2nd Annual Bishop O’Dowd MLK Classic Thread

Sep 14, 2017
Good morning!

We will be working to actively update this thread as the day progresses.

Please follow us on Twitter: @BODWBBall for videos, photos, information and coverage.

Additionally, we hope see some of you out here at the event supporting these student-athletes in remembrance of Dr. King’s legacy.

Here’s the schedule:

SATURDAY - January 19th
10:00am - Edison HS vs. Oakland Tech
12:00pm - Bishop O’Dowd vs. Woodside Priory
2:00pm - Cardinal Newman vs. Bear Creek
4:00pm - Bishop Montgomery vs. Salesian HS
6:00pm - Heritage HS vs. East Side Prep

MONDAY - January 21st
10:00am - Berkeley vs Modesto Christian
12:00pm - Bishop O’Dowd vs Salesian HS
2:00pm - Miramonte vs. Sacred Heart Cathedral
4:00pm - Sac High vs Heritage HS
6:00pm - Bear Creek vs Saint Joseph Notre Dame

*All games hosted at Bishop O’Dowd HS in Oakland, CA.

Reactions: basketba11
Great come from behind win for Cardinal Newman against a solid Bear Creek team. Good to see Newman win a close one against a slightly higher ranked team. 3 of their loses are by a total of 8 points.
Anya Choice with a strong second half performance ends up with 31pts. Exciting matchup ahead Monday against La Jolla Country Day.

Saw some of the Bishop Montgomery vs. Salesian game too. Good matchup. Bishop started to pull away in 3rd. Great guard play.

Heard that the Bear Creek coach called a timeout he didn't have that took away Bear Creek's chance to win it late ... if so, that's pretty much inexcusable unless his scorekeeper told him he had a timeout when he really didn't.

Heard that the Bear Creek coach called a timeout he didn't have that took away Bear Creek's chance to win it late ... if so, that's pretty much inexcusable unless his scorekeeper told him he had a timeout when he really didn't.
Is the scorers table on the floor or is it still elevated?

that is what happened. tie game less than 20 seconds left. before the 2nd free coach asked for a time out. did not have any. there was not anyone on his bench keeping the book.

it was a terrible way to end a great game...

BC scored to tie the game with 7 secs left. CN inbounded the ball and Dural was fouled with 4.8 secs left. (double bonus).

She missed the 1st one... then BC timeout...technical 2 shots and ball.

Dural makes 2nd to give CN 1 pt lead. Choice hits both technical foul shots...CN up 3. CN inbounds to Cargill, fouled, and she hits both fouls shots.. 5 pt lead.

The technical foul robbed BC the chance to win the game on last possession down 1 (with no tech)

unfortunate way for a very good game to end

BC coach has to know how many TOs left. If not positive, should have verified it during the TO with 4.8 seconds left, and told the girls at that time so everyone was on the same page.

I am the BC coach, and I never get on these boards, but lets set the record straight:

1st and foremost it was a great game, but after I called my last timeout, the referee came over to my huddle and told us we had 1 timeout remaining (which we have on video, and will be sending to the ref assigner for NCS). Also the scorers table at BOD is 20+ feet above where we sit, so we had no correspondence with our stat keeper. It was an unfortunate turn of events, but it happened.

Big shot out to Cardinal Newman, they are very well coached team. We wish them the best of luck in their playoff run.

Bear Creek (or Bear Valley as we were disrespectfully called) was an irrelevant program three years ago, and now competes with teams at the highest level. I am so proud of these girls and how they continue to work hard and build pride for both their school and the entire Stockton area.

I am the BC coach, and I never get on these boards, but lets set the record straight:

1st and foremost it was a great game, but after I called my last timeout, the referee came over to my huddle and told us we had 1 timeout remaining (which we have on video, and will be sending to the ref assigner for NCS). Also the scorers table at BOD is 20+ feet above where we sit, so we had no correspondence with our stat keeper. It was an unfortunate turn of events, but it happened.

Big shot out to Cardinal Newman, they are very well coached team. We wish them the best of luck in their playoff run.

Bear Creek (or Bear Valley as we were disrespectfully called) was an irrelevant program three years ago, and now competes with teams at the highest level. I am so proud of these girls and how they continue to work hard and build pride for both their school and the entire Stockton area.

Coach, grats on a good game. you don't have to come and explain nothing to us bozos that think we're on ESPN. Sorry to hear that....But find out what association they were from (Contra Costa or EBBOA) and send the video.

Nothing more frustrating that acting correctly on information that turns out to be incorrect.

Bear Creek is a high-quality program and could easily win SJS D-1.

Reactions: Paytc
MM, 98-68. SHC chose to play run-and-gun, in MM wheelhouse. MM certainly looks Open, but BOD's effort v Salesian suggests they may have a say in NCS DII.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paytc
I guess Norcal parity doesn't rule out a Beast. parity 2-8? let's just say Mitty, with it's pasting of Salesian and today's result, just won the non-existent NCS Open Division.

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
terrific game, terrific finish. Sac, having given up a 4 point play to give Heritage life late, almost repeated, fouling on H's final desperation 3, down by 4 (it was in the cylinder and out). H makes first two, with 0.3 left, a miss and a tip will earn them OT, and they have a Big with skills who can pull it off. didn't work out. congrats to both teams on an all-out effort. this one really did go down to the final 0.3.

Last edited:
Reactions: observer22
MM, 98-68. SHC chose to play run-and-gun, in MM wheelhouse. MM certainly looks Open, but BOD's effort v Salesian suggests they may have a say in NCS DII.

BOD must have Jada Holland back healthy? Does anyone know the extent of Nia Chinn injury? Is she also back playing with Salesian? Any updates on the Bear Creek vs SJND game?

Reactions: kevchoice
As I understand it, Nia Chinn is out for the rest of the season ...

Jada Holland played yesterday but didn't seem to be quite in midseason form yet. She's a difference-maker for O'Dowd, though, no question, and she should steadily improve from here on out.

And Malik did a great job, along with the rest of the O'Dowd staff -- great event. Now if they can just get a better gym ...

Final Game

SJND: 64
Bear Creek: 50
Tough weekend for Bear Creek against some very good opponents with good guard play and well coached teams in CN and SJND. I think some teams need losses like this to make your team better and more focused coming down to the end of the season. Their coach can use these losses as learning lesson and get their fire back after only 1 loss in the season before this weekend. I want to see how they respond as they have another 2 tough and important games coming up next weekend with Folsom on Saturday and Cosumnes Oaks on Monday. These games will mean a lot when it comes to SJS Section D1 seedings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT