ADVERTISEMENT

BOD section champs

Norcal_Fan

Hall of Famer
Aug 13, 2001
well this totally throws off the entire seeding in NorCal. MM controled early playing zone and went away from it and BOD took advantage. Do both go? Depends on what happens in D3 I guess. Grats to both teams on a fine season!

lots of things going on, but these stood out--

all season, MM hadn't faced player-to-player coming from quicker defenders. their passing and ability to take care of the ball came apart at the seams, like a Nike sneaker.

when MM tried to trap, BOD frequently found someone wide open underneath.

BOD's "big", although only 6'0, scored 32, most in close.

as last year, BOD was the better team today.

Last edited:
For Open, it looks (in no order):

Mitty
Pinewood
Carondelet
Heritage
Salesian
O'Dowd (because they won't take two runner-ups from NCS)
St. Mary's
Sacramento

What about O'Dowd is a tough matchup for Miramonte? This is the third time (two wins by O'Dowd) that a section final has been much closer than expected.

Credit to O'Dowd. A lot of people, myself included, overlooked them after that loss to Piedmont

What about O'Dowd is a tough matchup for Miramonte?

MM uses its athleticism to beat a lot of teams. BOD was more athletic, in the sense of ability to improvise, and just straight quickness. lots of loose balls ended up with them. I'd say MM's uptempo style plays to BOD's strengths.

remember that BOD had one-possession losses to Pinewood and Salesian. they've been inconsistent, but when they're on their game...

MM uses its athleticism to beat a lot of teams. BOD was more athletic, in the sense of ability to improvise, and just straight quickness. lots of loose balls ended up with them. I'd say MM's uptempo style plays to BOD's strengths.

remember that BOD had one-possession losses to Pinewood and Salesian. they've been inconsistent, but when they're on their game...

Good breakdown.

And yes, the A game for O'Dowd is still up there with most of the top teams.

For Open, it looks (in no order):

Mitty
Pinewood
Carondelet
Heritage
Salesian
O'Dowd (because they won't take two runner-ups from NCS)
St. Mary's
Sacramento

MM has a better body of work than heratiage, higher ranking (national and sectional). I just don’t see them over Heritage.

Heritage

Wins: SHC, Cardinal Newman, St. Mary's, McClatchy, Eastside Prep, Antelope, San Ramon Valley
Losses: Clovis North, St. Mary's, Sacramento, Carondelet

Miramonte

Wins: Clovis North, Harvard-Westake, Chaminade, Folsom, Bishop Gorman, SHC, Eastside, Mission Hills, LJCD
Losses: Carondelet, Highlands Ranch, Bishop O'Dowd

To me they are very comparable. Miramonte was the win over common opponent (Clovis North), but also owns the worst loss of the group.

Heritage

Wins: SHC, Cardinal Newman, St. Mary's, McClatchy, Eastside Prep, Antelope, San Ramon Valley
Losses: Clovis North, St. Mary's, Sacramento, Carondelet

Miramonte

Wins: Clovis North, Harvard-Westake, Chaminade, Folsom, Bishop Gorman, SHC, Eastside, Mission Hills, LJCD
Losses: Carondelet, Highlands Ranch, Bishop O'Dowd

To me they are very comparable. Miramonte was the win over common opponent (Clovis North), but also owns the worst loss of the group.

That’s an impressive resume! It’s gonna be tough. Again, Miramonte is nationally ranked and has the nod but agree it’s gonna be close!

MM is ranked higher in every state poll (which the CIF looks at)...and Heritage has NEVER even won a section title (which the CIF also takes into consideration...history of the program stuff)

MM is in...

I even think potentially St Joes and Antelope would go before Heritage

I think MM over Heritage too. But guess we will all have to wait for tomorrow.

1. Mitty
2. CLet
3. PW
4. Salesian
5. SMS
6. BOD
7. Sac
8. MM/Heritage

D1

1. Heritage/MM
2. SJND
3. Bear Creek
4. Antelope
5. CN
6. McClatchy
Agree. The committee will put at least 4 to 5 CCS open teams in D1 as well scattered in. They don't matchup you up against anyone in your section in first round so some of the seeds could look a little funky tomorrow

Reactions: basketba11
Agree. The committee will put at least 4 to 5 CCS open teams in D1 as well scattered in. They don't matchup you up against anyone in your section in first round so some of the seeds could look a little funky tomorrow
Yes I agree. And wouldn’t be surprised for a CCS team from WCAL to make another run this year like SF did last year.
Menlo
Sequoia
VC
SF
Palo Alto
SI
Pres

Yes I agree. And wouldn’t be surprised for a CCS team from WCAL to make another run this year like SF did last year.
Menlo
Sequoia
VC
SF
Palo Alto
SI
Pres
With apologies beforehand if I piss off anyone, but I would be really really surprised if any of the CCS teams do much in D1. Not much difference between them except for matchup advantages, and none of them can hold a candle to the major D1 schools in the sectionals. Most of them will be first round knock-offs.

With apologies beforehand if I piss off anyone, but I would be really really surprised if any of the CCS teams do much in D1. Not much difference between them except for matchup advantages, and none of them can hold a candle to the major D1 schools in the sectionals. Most of them will be first round knock-offs.
Dbrown, No reason to apologize if that is your thoughts and opinion. The good thing is you will get a chance to either be right or wrong. I can almost guarantee they will all not be first round knockoffs, they can definitely hold a candle to many of the these top teams in my opinion. With the competitive equity, all of these games can be a challenge. The one thing about the teams from the WCAL is their league is so competitive that they have to be ready to play night in and night out. They are battle tested as every game is tough, and most of the teams have very good coaching staffs. Teams such as Bear Creek, Mcclatchy, Cardinal Newman have extremely weak leagues. The league games can actually hurt them getting ready for playoffs.

the TOP NCS teams have wooped up on the SJS in all 3 divisions (1,2,3) and if h2h comes into play then Heritage, SJ and CN should be the Top 3 seeds...

anybody want to argue? check the h2h results between the SJS and NCS teams

Reactions: dbrown68
the TOP NCS teams have wooped up on the SJS in all 3 divisions (1,2,3) and if h2h comes into play then Heritage, SJ and CN should be the Top 3 seeds...

anybody want to argue? check the h2h results between the SJS and NCS teams
Good call northbay, CN did beat BC head to head.

Bear creek lost to CN and St. Joe’s head to head. Antelope and McClatchy both lost to Heritage.head to head. I think St. Mary’s and Sacramento are in and agree with Guru that the NCS non open teams should be 1, 2, 3 in Division 1 followed by Bear creek(head to head over Antelope), Antelope and McClatchy.

Reactions: basketba11
i cant find the receipt... but i believe some y'all said mccord was not on the level of the all time great sopak... and mccord could only win when he has superior athletes and this year proved he wasnt very good with all the loses... 2 in a row. ESO

Reactions: HSfan82
As good as BOD is they are not an open team. MM should be open as they were top 5 team all year long. They don’t matchup well with Odowd but still a top open team. They missed shots yesterday and Odowd was more athletic. If they play 10 times it might be 5-5. The reward for winning section should not be an open 8 seed like they got last year

Reactions: Paytc
As good as BOD is they are not an open team. MM should be open as they were top 5 team all year long. They don’t matchup well with Odowd but still a top open team. They missed shots yesterday and Odowd was more athletic. If they play 10 times it might be 5-5. The reward for winning section should not be an open 8 seed like they got last year

Good points ! But each season it is never easy to call what the Open Tournament selection committee is gonna do. We often hear the mention of whether or not Clovis West will be placed in the North or the South. And this season Clovis North may also get a consideration of being placed in the North or the South. I don't think there is a consistent blueprint used each season to determine things. I actually like that fact because it allows many things like injuries, officiating in some games, early season losses and taking into account who's playing better at the seasons end to help determine who's in or out of the Open.

Respect your opinion but I think the D1 CCS will do well. In both the WCAL and WBAL most teams feature very athletic players that face presses most games. They see a lot of man defense so they shouldn't see anything in Nor Cal's that they haven't faced on a daily basis in league. Time will tell.

Reactions: dbrown68
It comes back to an earlier post I made asking people how they would decide if they were on the committee -- and not surprisingly, few people replied. (It's a lot easier to criticize a decision than it is to make one ...)

So one the many basic questions that any seeding must deal with is recency bias: Is the most recent result the most important, and does it trump results from the season as a whole? Or, to put it another way, is a Section championship more important than a full season's body of work?

Obviously, Miramonte's seeding matters to me, but I'm pretty much resigned to being the eighth seed in the Open. I can't really argue with that decision, as if you have a recency bias, the section winners all deserve a higher seed. The two non-section winners that would fill out the Open would be Pinewood and Miramonte, and since Pinewood came out of an Open playoff, it's almost as if they're equivalent to a Division II section winner.

And if SJND or Bear Creek or Heritage get chosen for the Open, they would fall into the same category, and head to San Jose Wednesday. Miramonte likely gets the nod due to the computer ranking, which makes sense, but unfortunately that computer ranking is unlikely to help once the Open seeding begins. The first criterion will be Section champs, most likely, and then head-to-head, and then computer ranking or common opponents.

I hear San Jose is nice this time of year, though ...

im repeating the same comment from last season...

It would be nice if MaxPreps would update rankings selection sunday morning in Calif. The rankings that could/will be used in seedings dont take into effect the section final results.

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT