ADVERTISEMENT

CAL 43 LOGAN 6 Final

Streak, sloppy was being kind and you are right, both teams played this way throughout.
I was only impressed with two players Friday night, Gomez & Leathly. Gomez can flat out run the ball, with power and speed and has great vision. Leathly was a beast defensively and is a threat as both a pass catcher and a blocking TE. Not much else to report from this game. Not sure I get what Billeci is doing on the sidelines, his substitutions don't make sense, he play calling is brutal and why send two guys back to receive punts and as soon as the punter makes contact, they both run towards the sidelines and away from the ball? If I am not mistaken, didn't he go to De la Salle? Special teams is is big reason on what separated De la Salle from the pack back in the day. Do you not practice special teams? Can your players not catch a punt or at least fair catch it so they don't gain an extra 10-15 yards with the roll? I was down on the sidelines and I was not the only one wondering about this. Eric, come league next week, you might want to start returning some of these punts, if not, do us all a favor and retire cause you are bringing zero value to Grizzlies football.

Reactions: Bubba3000
Streak, sloppy was being kind and you are right, both teams played this way throughout.
I was only impressed with two players Friday night, Gomez & Leathly. Gomez can flat out run the ball, with power and speed and has great vision. Leathly was a beast defensively and is a threat as both a pass catcher and a blocking TE. Not much else to report from this game. Not sure I get what Billeci is doing on the sidelines, his substitutions don't make sense, he play calling is brutal and why send two guys back to receive punts and as soon as the punter makes contact, they both run towards the sidelines and away from the ball? If I am not mistaken, didn't he go to De la Salle? Special teams is is big reason on what separated De la Salle from the pack back in the day. Do you not practice special teams? Can your players not catch a punt or at least fair catch it so they don't gain an extra 10-15 yards with the roll? I was down on the sidelines and I was not the only one wondering about this. Eric, come league next week, you might want to start returning some of these punts, if not, do us all a favor and retire cause you are bringing zero value to Grizzlies football.

RealisticParent, I'm the father of a former Cal High Grizzly and I feel your pain regarding letting punts roll down to the 5 yard line. Find a player that can consistently catch punts and if need be instruct him to fair catch every single time. Allowing punts to roll, resulting in poor field position is fine and dandy against teams like Logan. However, in games like DLS, Foothill, Monte Vista and SRV that aint gonna cut it.

I'm not familiar with Gomez but I hear very good things about him. I am familiar with Trevor Leathley and his older brother Kevin. I hear the eldest of the three Leathley's was also a very good football player. These guys are good solid players and despite not being the most gifted, they are hard nosed kids that flat out know how to play football. At 6'5" Trevor is the tallest of the bunch. The two older Leathley's joined the Marine Corps, although I'm not sure that's in Trevors plans. I also know the parents and they raised their boys the right way, in my opinion.

Reactions: observer22
Bubba, I couldn't agree with you more. In big games, league games it can come down to field position and bad teams don't field punt in-case something goes wrong, not top teams or teams that have a little bit a promise, sometimes that can make all the difference. I was on the Cal High sidelines and it was players and other coaches and administration (former high school coaches) that were also wondering what is going on. Maybe they can't field a punt and if so, find someone that can and if not, teach them how to catch and fair catch them. Leathly will be playing on Saturday's, not sure where but I know a few school who should be interested but I do understand grades come into play but from what I've heard, he's ok there too.

Ryan, the eldest, absolutely was recruitable but blew is ACL in week 1.
Cal's O is run like Madden; "I think this'll work....it did. Let's run it again."
Sanchez would know the strengths and weaknesses of each of his players, and his opponents D.
He's also the kind of guy you see at the local burrito shop and say "Great to see you. How's my (insert position) doing in college?"

Last edited:
Reactions: Bubba3000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT